Recommend an 18650 and charger for my Malkoff MD2...Please

JMFWSU

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I'd like to get a good 18650 battery and charger to use for my MD2. I'm looking for the best run-time performance. I've read good things about the AW 18650, but have no idea about the charger. Even a simple, single cell charger would be fine.

Thanks

Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keeppower 18650s, 3200 mAh perform great. Xtar SP1 would be a nice charger for it, I have one and a VP1. Love them.

Some of the Malkoff's have issues with cells being too fat, IIRC, not too long.

Keep this in mind.

This being said, I'd look to the Xtar WP2 II 2014 version, since it's two bay, it has USB out, so you can charge some other stuff, it has 500mA and 1A charging and like other Xtar chargers, it comes with a 12v car/solar adapter.

At about $22, shipped, you can still charge up the smaller 16340s and your 18650s with little fanfare.

Chris

JMFWSU

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies so far. What about Cottonpickers Basic Charger?

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a simple, basic charger I would place another vote for an XTAR VP1 or VP2. I have the VP1 and really like it. I also have a Cottonpicker basic charger. The VP1 is so easy and simple to use. The VP2 is also simple, with a few more charging options. Once set to where you want and need it, the VP2 should also be just what you're looking for. The Cottonpicker is just a little more difficult to use based on the fact that it has just wires with magnets sticking out, and you have to connect the wires with the magnets to the battery ends properly, then plug the charger in. It works fine, just a little more crude. The XTAR's are much more user friendly and come in a nicer package.
My MD2 fits most all 3400 mAh batteries. I use the Panasonic NCR18650B 3400 mAh cells.

Gene43

Enlightened
Some of the Malkoff's have issues with cells being too fat, IIRC, not too long.

Keep this in mind.

This being said, I'd look to the Xtar WP2 II 2014 version, since it's two bay, it has USB out, so you can charge some other stuff, it has 500mA and 1A charging and like other Xtar chargers, it comes with a 12v car/solar adapter.

At about $22, shipped, you can still charge up the smaller 16340s and your 18650s with little fanfare.

Chris

This issue has been taken care of. All common 18650's should fit now.

JMFWSU

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking at the Keeppower protected 18650 batteries. Is there a noticeable difference between the 3100mah and 3400mah versions? Is it worth it to pay more for the 3400mah?

Also, between Cottonpickers Basic Charger and the XTAR WP2 II, which would be the netter choice?