Red light for domestic night operations

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
The answer as it usually is is to make your own.

How about a red AND moonlight? This is actually 660nm but my phone wont capture such a deep red.

pcJZJ7Mr.jpg

rioimmagina

Enlightened
Well, I see that, besides the zebra (that looks cool) and those astronomer-oriented models, the only flashlights coming with the red led are 300+ bucks jewels. Which is a bit too expensive for a night table light. Especially after I've just order my first McGizmo from Don himself (super happy I am 😊).
I guess I will go the cheapo route and find a suitable red film.
Another option would be to mod one of my less used precious edc... Do you know any capable modder in Europe?

Btw (totally unrelated), I investigated the manker e14 light and I see Vinh does is magic on it. Would a red film burn on that rocket? [emoji28] [emoji28]

Andrey

Newly Enlightened
Take a look at H502pr 'photo red' Zebralight.
Perfect deep (650-670 nm) red. Best red light I've seen.

H502rwithHeadband.jpg

BugoutBoys

Enlightened
I do think a filter on an HDS might be a good idea cause then you have the infinite variable brightness but still the color tint. I always use colored light when walking around the house at night. Something about it feels better than white light. Which is why I recommended the Aviator. I however, use blue light rather than red. The Aviator has a claimed 0.4 lumen blue mode but I feel like it's actually 1. I'd love a 0.2 lumen mode. I feel like that would be perfect for around the house with night adapted eyes.

holygeez03

Enlightened
I highly agree with the AA Zebralight suggestion... The sub-lumen modes on my H52Fw are possibly the most used modes... I can leave the light on my nightstand in the 0.05lm mode and easily locate it (I always do this in hotels and foreign places)... in the middle of the night, it's enough to navigate with... if a little more is needed, two clicks gives me 2.6lm but the lux is still very low with the frosted lens.

If only there were a way to toggle between 0.05 and 0.33 lumens...

rioimmagina

Enlightened
I do think a filter on an HDS might be a good idea cause then you have the infinite variable brightness but still the color tint. I always use colored light when walking around the house at night. Something about it feels better than white light. Which is why I recommended the Aviator. I however, use blue light rather than red. The Aviator has a claimed 0.4 lumen blue mode but I feel like it's actually 1. I'd love a 0.2 lumen mode. I feel like that would be perfect for around the house with night adapted eyes.
Maybe Tana can do something for your Aviator [emoji41]

rioimmagina

Enlightened
I tried the fenix red filter on ALL my lights... Guess what? It only fits on the LD10 😑

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
I mod, but not in the business. I've not done it for myself thus far. Contact @gunga he mods and sells and can make one of these easy too.

Nev

Banned
I'm an astronomer & I have the petzl with the red filter but the light is more orange , I've been looking for a good Astro headlamp for a while ,I've recently found the Princeton quad tech tactical which comes with red ,blue & green filters & it always come on in low mode , i think it's a huge improvement & its proper red.

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
I have an Inova keychain light with a green LED which is quite bright in the dark. Illuminates my next step.

rioimmagina

Enlightened
I resolved to go and buy some transparent red film in a car tuning shop. I will apply it to some of my edcs and report the effect.
I'm still toying with the idea of an aviator or a modded light... stay tuned 😉

BugoutBoys

Enlightened
I resolved to go and buy some transparent red film in a car tuning shop. I will apply it to some of my edcs and report the effect.
I'm still toying with the idea of an aviator or a modded light... stay tuned 
Ooooh I'm excited to see this!

month 1 down and I still love my Aviator and haven't gone a day without it!

rioimmagina

Enlightened
Ooooh I'm excited to see this!

month 1 down and I still love my Aviator and haven't gone a day without it!
Yes, actually that is the best of two words: a regular led for regular operations plus a red one for the night fridge raiding, all in one awesome package [emoji41]