Review: ArcMania's new SMJLED2 PR2 SS review

*Retired*
Okay, folks are wondering what the various parts are that are in the ArcMania SMJLED2 PR SS that is sold at The Shoppe.

I took the module and scrubbed all the flux and junk off it with acetone to make the parts more clear in the photograph.

I've pointed out what each part is, and the probable cost. However, these parts would be alot lower in cost over seas. For example, a 0.1 uF capacitor may cost 0.01 ea here in the USA. However, in Taiwan, where there is still a price markup over the cost in China, one would likely pay 0.0037 ea for these.

Also, this is not a current regulated switcher IC design, it is a simple single NPN transistor oscillator rigged up as a boost supply.

smjled2s.jpg

The other half of the product, digging deeper into how it is made:
smjled2w.jpg

Chevrofreak, with his eagle eye, has pointed out this product looks remarkably like the Sino Union NIGHT PEARL LED BULB (NPLB) device out of Hong Kong. The internal circuitry is remarkably similar, it uses the same transistor, a smaller schottky diode, one resistor value is slightly different, and the layout has been slightly modified.
Sino%20circuit.jpg

An old picture of their first device from way back:
smjled2o.jpg

http://www.sinounion.com.hk/index1.htm

***Please be aware that I've witheld alot of additional information on this review on purpose, as I did not want to cast things into too much of a negative light. That was also the purpose of my colorful presentation, to detract from the performance aspect, until the seller had an opportunity to address things. I have still withheld information, so as a buyer, please beware, and make your choices accordingly.

Last edited:

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
NewBie.....Please don't take this as a personal attack, as it's not intended as such. You're a highly valued mamber and provide information that the rest of us would not otherwise have.

Last night I read a thread started by McGizmo regarding calling it as we see it. So I'm calling it as I see it here. It's time to stop.

You may feel that you're doing us all a favor by exposing corruption wherever it rears it's ugly head, by being our very own Ralph Nader. It's a noble cause, but I do feel that you've gone way over the top. It almost appears as though you're on a personal vendetta. I opened this thread a few minutes ago and came away from your latest post with an upset stomach. I may not be the only one.

I honestly don't give a hoot what's inside the SMJ PR. It's a damn good product and well worth the money. I would think that we'd all be better served if you were to put your energy and expertise to use in designing an even better product than this one. I'd buy it.

Rommul

Enlightened
nikon said:
NewBie.....Please don't take this as a personal attack, as it's not intended as such. You're a highly valued mamber and provide information that the rest of us would not otherwise have.

Last night I read a thread started by McGizmo regarding calling it as we see it. So I'm calling it as I see it here. It's time to stop.

You may feel that you're doing us all a favor by exposing corruption wherever it rears it's ugly head, by being our very own Ralph Nader. It's a noble cause, but I do feel that you've gone way over the top. It almost appears as though you're on a personal vendetta. I opened this thread a few minutes ago and came away from your latest post with an upset stomach. I may not be the only one.

I honestly don't give a hoot what's inside the SMJ PR. It's a damn good product and well worth the money. I would think that we'd all be better served if you were to put your energy and expertise to use in designing an even better product than this one. I'd buy it.

Its politeness such as this that makes me love this place so much.

Great post and dead on.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Newbie is a force of logical, critical scientific fact that any advertiser of the next 'latest and greatest product' on CPF should reckon with. :popcorn:

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
nikon said:
It almost appears as though you're on a personal vendetta. I opened this thread a few minutes ago and came away from your latest post with an upset stomach. I may not be the only one.

Hi nikon. You've been here a long time and it isn't easy for me to go against your (and others) words but, if you really don't care about what's inside of the module, then the contents of this thread shouldn't bother you right?

It is MY OPINION that Newbie doesn't have a vendetta against anyone. With respect to his last post:
Newbie said:
Okay, folks are wondering what the various parts are that are in the ArcMania SMJLED2 PR SS that is sold at The Shoppe.
it's apparent to me that the post was in response to numerous requests from fellow members.

I have ALWAYS been curious about the insides of flashlights and have dismantled many of mine for the sake of curiousity. I always appreciate when someone does the dismantling for me and Newbie has a great deal more knowledge than myself so when he does it, it's done properly. My previous post was not ment as 'thanks for revealing the truth Newbie' it is what it is; 'thanks Newbie for showing us the insides of the module.' I would be just as grateful if he did the same for any other module or light I was interested in.

I understand how hurt feelings can be generaged by this thread (by the last post in particular) especially if one bought the 'bulbs' but, in my opinion a fact is a fact and whatever is inside of the light, if it performs to your (you all) satisfaction, then buy it. If you don't like what you see, don't. For all who've bought the module before this review and was satisfied by its performance, I'm sure the review itself didn't change anything.

Maybe I'm too naive to read in between the lines. :shrug:

nikon said:
if you were to put your energy and expertise to use in designing an even better product than this one. I'd buy it
Put me down for one too. :D

Last edited:

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I still believe the "old" blueish SMJLED PRs are the best things about lighting that I've gotten in 2006. Sure, my P1 is kewl....

But let a Rita sort of storm come through here again and I have lighting covered in SPADES thanks to the SMJLED!!!!

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
nikon said:

I don't agree with this.

I like to know whats inside, the same way I want to know the color bin of a led and its brightness and forward voltage.
I also like to know, if we talk about converters, the efficiency, the regulation and all technical aspects that makes a converter shine.

I hope, if in the future, I make a converter of my own, that Newbie finds it interesting enough to do a review like he did on the SMJLED.

IMHO, if you don't have interest in the innards of something and can live happily without knowing, thats fine with me, but let the rest of us that are interested, to read and sometimes learn about how things are done, right or wrong.

Pablo

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got to chime in here as well. I'm very appreciative of the fact Newbie takes the time and effort that he does on many of the threads to which he contributes. Those who are not interested in reading what he has to say can feel free to ignore his posts. I, for one, enjoy reading them.

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
nikon said:

I totally disagree with your statements as well. Calling it as I see it, that ranks up there with some of the most cerebrally flatulant posts I've read.

First, a simple disclaimer isn't going to convince anyone that accusing Jarhead of a personal vendetta isn't a personal attack. You just attacked his motifs and his character. Come on, think. That's not nice.

Second, Jarhead and the people that care about him value his time as much as you and yours. Jarhead spent alot of time and energy presenting the facts and I am grateful that he did. Jarhead/Newbie always has to put up with alot of poop when he "breaks it down" for the rest of us, yet he still does it and we benefit. We benefit because when push comes to shove the single goal of a dealer or manufacturer is to make money, the marketplace and the individuals in it determine just how far we will let them go to do it. Jarhead sends the message on behalf of all of us that , we weren't born yesterday! Yet, because his post might make us a little uncomfortable and might hurt some folks feelings, you would rather us all hide our heads in the sand and not face the reality that CPF is a huge temptation for many to exploit.

Third, what about all the good and upfront dealers and manufacturers? Is it fair for all those hard working folks to invest time and energy in good products and good services yet be forced to compete for the same dollars with those who utilize hype and BS to sell their products? Duh, No it isn't. I don't want my money going to some pr*ck laughing his way to the bank because he BS'd me into donating a 40000% profit margin. That ain't cool.

Fourth, Jarhead deserves the satisfaction that comes from his illuminating dissections. You may resent it because you only see it as joy at someones downfall but that is a totally unfair way of looking at it. As I mentioned above , Newbie should enjoy knowing that he's helped the manufacturers , the buyers, the sellers and basically all of CPF by pointing out the bad apple before rotten apples become the standard and only lightly decayed fruit establishes itself as Premium Grade.

Fifth, not only is it not easy, technically, to do what Jar does, but If I had that kind of knowledge and saw crap being slung, I'd be damned intimidated to speak up . Go look at how much crap he takes. It is far from easy to put up with every yingaling that wants to protest even the slightest bit of negativity. At one point a few years ago , the internet was damn near a volcano of flame wars and since that time the pendalum has swung to the point that internet indoctrination adds the 11th commandment of "Thou shalt not disagree whilst online lest the Angels of Play Nice smite thee". Jarhead is way up there on the Angels of Play Nice' poop list and I am very thankful.

Nikon, I've read alot of good stuff from you but if Newb deserves anything it's a big thanks.

vortechs

Enlightened
This thread is quickly degenerating from its original intent to review the SMJLED2 PR bulb. Could we please keep it on the topic of the observable/testable qualities of the bulb and avoid the subjects of the personalities, motives, and/or business models involved? I'm sure there are more approriate places to discuss those other topics. Thanks.

AdamW

Newly Enlightened
leukos said:
Newbie is a force of logical, critical scientific fact that any advertiser of the next 'latest and greatest product' on CPF should reckon with. :popcorn:

Yeah, what he said.

Newbie takes the time to dissect flashlight products and photograph the innards. WE ALL BENEFIT. His pictures are ahem, enlightening, and there are not a lot of folks with the gear and the willingness to create fine images such as his.

A good product that lives up to its advertising will survive this kind of analysis. The product will succeed or fail on its own inherent merits or problems. Newbie is just lighting the way...

Keep up the valuable work, and rip into any product you please.

Rommul

Enlightened
xochi said:
Third, what about all the good and upfront dealers and manufacturers? Is it fair for all those hard working folks to invest time and energy in good products and good services yet be forced to compete for the same dollars with those who utilize hype and BS to sell their products? Duh, No it isn't. I don't want my money going to some pr*ck laughing his way to the bank because he BS'd me into donating a 40000% profit margin. That ain't cool.

Are we now at the point where we think Arcmania, the Shoppe etc are a bunch of flim flam men?

If that is what people are saying and are praising this posters actions they should just come out and say it instead of dancing around the issue. If people don't want to be seen as finger pointers they shouldn't come near the issue. And if people come near the issue they really should just go all the way and finish it.

It is so easy to tear down people who actually build things while sitting on the sidelines and accomplishing nothing.

This really is a stomach turning thread.

Rommul

Enlightened
vortechs said:
This thread is quickly degenerating from its original intent to review the SMJLED2 PR bulb. Could we please keep it on the topic of the observable/testable qualities of the bulb and avoid the subjects of the personalities, motives, and/or business models involved? I'm sure there are more approriate places to discuss those other topics. Thanks.

With that thought in mind has there been any confirmation that Arcmania built these units?

AdamW

Newly Enlightened
Rommul said:
With that thought in mind has there been any confirmation that Arcmania built these units?

These units were said to contain Cree X-Lamp dies. They do not. This was shown in this thread. I am glad that the claim was checked.

No one is dancing around anything; the Sandwich Shoppe and ArcMania offer great products and services. I will do business with them in the future.

Any and all products offered for sale are open to review and construction analysis. Opinions are likely to be posted as well. This is not a bad thing!

***Begin on topic***
I am interested in more comparisons between the old SMJLED and the new version. Post them if ya got 'em.
***End on topic***

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
I still believe the "old" blueish SMJLED PRs are the best things about lighting that I've gotten in 2006. Sure, my P1 is kewl....

But let a Rita sort of storm come through here again and I have lighting covered in SPADES thanks to the SMJLED!!!!

The last part of your statement is the important part in my testing. Lights for such purposes are a serious matter to me. I think the original SMJLED is a super long term disaster light. The blue doesn't bother me either for this purpose. The point is that you got decent light for a long runtime. Pop one in a cheap Rayovac or Eveready incan host and your good for a while.

On another serious note, I sure hope you don't need it in the next several days on the Gulf coast :ohgeez:My thoughts are with you and all those who are still suffering a year later.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
the Sandwich Shoppe and ArcMania offer great products and services. I will do business with them in the future.

AdamW

I agree fully and I do hope this takes a turn for the positive. I am so depressed that it has been the way it has. I enter the forums for education....and enjoyment. I'm sorry to say there has been no "joy" in this thread for some time. I am in need of a change....I believe many are.... :sigh:

Karl

*Retired*
As someone alreadly mentioned, please stay on topic.

A number of folks are turning this thread into an emotional and opinion based support fallout pillow for those involved in creating, producing, advertising, and selling the product under review.

If you got facts, like numbers, graphs, pictures, please feel free to post them.
Please keep photos to non-saturated beamshots, often folks saturate beamshots which hide the reality of things. Please, if you are doing comparisons, in beamshots, put the lights in the same photograph, this prevents errors introduced by a variety of means.

If you don't like my reviews, or don't have the stomach, nobody is forcing you to read them. Please turn the channel, or put me on ignore.

Lets keep emotional opinions, favorites, genuflecting, jockeying for favor, out of this thread.

You are free to go discuss this sort of thing in the cpf Underground, where things like this are done.

Thank you for your consideration

Rommul

Enlightened
AdamW said:
These units were said to contain Cree X-Lamp dies. They do not. This was shown in this thread. I am glad that the claim was checked.

You didn't answer my question.

I believe the claim was that the forthcoming mini-mag replacements contained X-Lamps. If there was a claim that the shoppe module contained X-Lamps I will gladly admit I missed it as soon as iot is pointed out to me.

Once again has there been any confirmation that Arcmania built these modules?

AdamW said:
Any and all products offered for sale are open to review and construction analysis. Opinions are likely to be posted as well. This is not a bad thing!

No one said it was. But I would be more interested in a flashlightreviews.com since I think they are more objective.