Review: Energizer Vision HD 2xAA Flashlight

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Target store shows a 1000 lumen rechargeable version with charging usb port and outgoing usb port for topping up a celphone etc. There's also a 700 lumen tacticool version with h/m/l/flash.

I'll stick with the 2aa version for now but may opt for a rechargeable one day.

Jaxon

Newly Enlightened
I like the energizer 1aa 75 lumen angle light best of anything else they make right now.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Yesterday, while at Lowes they had the 6 volt (2x123) version for $25. I went there looking to buy some SureFire batteries but they had none, so I bought the flashlight.

It's pretty bright and has a broad, conical beam so you get a good 150 feet of punch forward through while lighting up a broad area well. It claims two hour run time on a pair of Energizer 123 cells. Being it has 3 LED's gulping from the batteries I'd say it definitely steps down. Machining is good and grip is decent.

Both ends come off and the tailcap is serviceable but the head end is not (without some inginuity). It's $25 so I do not expect it to be but so robust. The head end has some cooling fins and it gets fairly warm after a couple minutes on high. A spring mounted plastic button between the head and battery tends to isolate heat away from the battery some. In other words the heat is more easily conducted to the outside of the head so you don't get the senses you are carrying a hand grenade with the pin pulled like some really bright flashlights of this size. The crenalations make for a good kubatan without being pocket shredders.

I removed the supplied clip because it has ears that protrude to the point of annoying when hand holding cigar grip or overhand. It fits pretty loose so it will probably pop off anyway. I liked the tailcap where about 1/3 of the shoulder is well the button for ease of use from the short travel, soft press button. Momentary is easy with enough travel between off and click to not accidently click it, but to click travel isn't very far either. Overall a positive experience in activating for moment or click. It tailstands on a solid surface. But on a surface with a say, table cloth it tends to lean towards the lower part of the shoulder and fall over.

A rapid click and half press gives a rapid flasher. Half press it to find hi, med or low then press for on with about a half second to a full second between presses. Easy enough to get used to if this is your EDC. I could not find settings numbers so I will guess at what I saw. Medium appears to be 50-60% and low about 25-30%. I liked medium.

One thing about the tacticool white beam is there is not really a defined spot, but instead a really nice combination of throw and spread instead of a distinct wall of light from a flooder light. So you get the option of viewing objects at a distance while lighting up everything in your peripherals pretty evenly. To me the beam is the charm of this light as there are no visible Mickey Mouse look from the 3 emitters in a triangle. Now unlike the 2aa where you can hold the on button to achieve better throw or spill, this one seems fixed. If it isn't I have not figured out how to adjust it, yet did not have an urge to do so as the beam is pretty good from default.

Will it outlast a SureFire or Elzetta? I doubt it but for $25 you can feel comfortable giving it away to a friend or family. This is another 'even bad lights aint bad this days' flashlight.

16-DC85-AF-E0-BE-4-C45-8-B6-D-BB5-B41-B92-C58.jpg

Compared to a 6P and ProTac

04-B756-B2-A2-C3-4-D10-A891-BCDB9-CE0-C65-F.jpg

The 3 LED's, with one being dedicated flooder. Nice touch.

31914-C52-19-E2-459-C-9-FDD-F373-C9-CA8-BF4.jpg

The tailcap cutout. Another nice touch in my view.

41285-AD4-ADB9-402-B-8-FCA-8-AE23-F403-D5-C.jpg

A beam shot.
Shed in the far distance is about 300 feet.

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I saw that light yesterday but what intrigued me (slightly) was a Lux Pro that was rechargeable about 500 lumens I think for $25 that had 3 modes also.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Lux Pro lights aint bad either.
Never bought one but they seem to be decent quality. Lux Pro seems a little more expensive than Defiant but maybe slightly better quality.
I'm an 18650 fan now..... my AA lights sit idle now.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I have a small zoomie by them hanging by my front door that used 3x aaa but now has a Lifepo4 18500. One night I heard a commotion across the street and saw my neighbors truck being pushed from his driveway into the street. Thinking it was being stolen I shined the LuxPro on the moving truck and heard "don't shoot!! Please!!" The truck would not start so the neighbor and his fishing buddies were rolling it toward a trailer with a winch and cable.

I imagine if I shined the Energizer tacticool on them they'd probably holler out "please don't shoot and please turn off that d&%m Flashlight". lol

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I have a small zoomie by them hanging by my front door that used 3x aaa but now has a Lifepo4 18500. One night I heard a commotion across the street and saw my neighbors truck being pushed from his driveway into the street. Thinking it was being stolen I shined the LuxPro on the moving truck and heard "don't shoot!! Please!!" The truck would not start so the neighbor and his fishing buddies were rolling it toward a trailer with a winch and cable.

I imagine if I shined the Energizer tacticool on them they'd probably holler out "please don't shoot and please turn off that d&%m Flashlight". lol
He should be glad you didn't shine a 1000+ lumen light on Turbo

Beckler

Enlightened
The 'Pivot plus' shown in first post. Worst garbage ever, don't intend to ever try energizer again because of it. (I wasn't planning on it, but it was on clearance for like $8 or something - for a reason). It has pwm at everything except High. High steps down very quickly - a matter of minutes. Ok, so I'll try using it at a mid-level. That steps down very soon too! Totally useless when you're working on your car and it dims out after just a few minutes. It has junk build quality too - the plastic threaded tailcap won't tighten enough and comes loose right away with actual use of the magnet base. You can overtighten it to where it's no longer aligned which helps a bit. Junk. Never again.

Department and hardware store stuff, by brands like this, is there for a reason. It's all garbage - stay away. (Overpriced too - Energizer & Coast junk for like $30-40 when legitimate fenix, olight etc. isn't even much more. Great. Let me get right on those.)

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Today was yard work day. The other day my boy climbed up on the roof and cleaned the gutters on the house. Two days later you could not tell. Now he used my cordless blower and for the life of me I could not find the charger. I got out the 100 foot cord and assembled the ground level gutter cleaner hose and went at it. Then the yard was raked with the corded leaf blower. But throughout the process I kept wondering wherethehell is my cordless leaf blower charger? After 4 hours I was whipped. Not whipped like using a rake like I did years ago, but whipped like I was blowing leaves instead of taking a 2 o'clock nap.

Anyway, off to Home Depot to buy another charger and a spare battery for the cordless leaf blower and I saw the HD vision shown here in post one is now listed as 400 lumens. Plus they had the big 1400 lumen one and a stubby 3x aaa listed at 270 (w/ 80 lumen low). 2 hours and 30 minutes or 12 hours and 30 minutes. And knowing Energizer uses generic battery cages means I can run it off an 18500 solar lamp battery. So I bought the stubby one.

My host site is down but the stated 270 lumens is about right. The HD (think max vision) beam is pretty bright in total with a good mix of flood and throw due to a pair of thrower LED's and a third one covered by a honeycomb.

The only qualm is you forward click to high with no momentary available then it clicks to low, not off. You have to go past low before it turns off. For strobe you press and hold about 2 seconds and it does turn off from strobe.

$13 with batteries outside the light and a wrist strap already installed. They'll probably be on sale for black Friday.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know the CRI of the HD vision series lights?

The PWM is a dealbreaker for me, but that tint looks decent.