Review: Fenix LD02 (XP-E2, 1x AAA, 100 lumens)

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
The problem is that most consumers don't know the usefulness of moonlight mode.
Actually some of our own membership don't even know!

I'm sure they've done their research. Nobody buys a flashlight for a 0.3 lumen setting. Think about it.
Here's one.

You haven't read enough threads here apparently because many, many of us do. You sound like a lot of posters 5 or 6 years ago who thought that anything less than 1-2 lumens was absolutely useless, largely because, well, it looks worthless on paper anyway.

Welcome to the real world where .3 is actually too damn bright in many settings. It's probable, judging from your position, that you don't find yourself in those situations, but be careful about assigning applicability for scenarios you don't even understand.

If there's a view you can't wrap your mind around, there's a possibility that you could learn something just by emptying your cup a little bit.
...these are the poor souls reduced to having to hold their thumb over the flashlight in order to create a moonlight mode :) Been there, done that, not going back.
LOL. It's funny because it's true! :crackup:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Fenix LD02 vs Fenix E12 - measured and commented

The problem is that most consumers don't know the usefulness of moonlight mode. Before I got my first light that had moonlight mode, I thought, "Yeah, interesting, but I'll probably never use it. Too dim for anything useful."

After I started using it, I was hooked and now won't buy a light without it. But I'm in a very very small minority.

Very well explained.Newbies please remember about how useful moon mode is when selecting a light.

Thrower

Newly Enlightened

I've been waiting for the LD02, hoping they'd use the xp-e2 to increase runtimes (they did for the medium mode - nearly an hour more - neato)

But the high mode is still only ~30 minutes and even though lumens are up... candella is down ?!? It was right on the edge of useless as a mid-distance "looking around the car at night on the freeway if you're changing a tire & etc" type light at 600+ cd, but at 505 cd? Not sure why they went that way. I was hoping for 1,000 cd., not 500. It looks like the reflector is shorter to make up for the length required to make it a clicky. But clicky lights get triggered when you put them in a pocket full of keys and change and guitar picks and this is a keychain light. So the clicky is a deal killer regardless of the rest. If the clicky did cost them reflector length / throw... uggh. Too much "focus group feedback" and not enough "user feedback". Also, as others have mentioned, now instead of a low of 3 lumens, which is the traditional low for the Fenix aaa keychain lights, it's up to 8 lumens. That's too bright for reading and also too bright for use as a nightlight -- and this is essentially a keychain travel light. In an unfamiliar room, it's nice to have a little light to keep from stumbling around. That's the whole point of candle mode. But 8 lumens is too much, my Eagletac D25a has an 8 lumen low and it's too much. In a large hotel room maybe, but in a small room, it's almost like someone left the TV on.

So... after waiting for more than a year for the LD02 to replace my LOP-SE, it looks like I'll go find an LD01 before they're all gone.

Actually.... strike that...

I just looked at the L3 Illumination L08 AAA.

- Nichia 219a B10 which is a beautiful 4500k with 92 CRI
- 1.0 and 3.0 lumen low modes and a 30 lumen medium
- twisty
- tailstand

Granted, the high is only 16 minutes, but it's 1100 cd which is twice the Fenix' 505 cd, so in the unlikely event that you have to use such a small light to generate some moderate throw in an emergency, the L3/L08 should spank the LD02 for both throw and color rendering.

The only advantage the Fenix seems to have over the L3 given my usage model, is that the run time on medium (~30 lumens) is longer on the Fenix.

The Fenix LD09 AA is a nice light too, but the L3/L10 with the Nichia 219... for my purposes... hits the mark better for a AA.

It looks like there's a new keychain king in town.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic

Great mini-review and it jogged my thoughts on the L08 so that I just ordered three of them, one in each color.

Wish, and have wished for years, that Fenix would come back into some sort of importance like they once had, but they refuse to budge from the UI problem (or at least that's how some of us view it) of starting off in the medium mode, before allowing you to go to the lower medium mode (since they've never seen fit to re-think their output selection and give an actual low).

Still watching, still hoping, but not holding my breath.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast

Actually 'On at Medium' for their keychain twisty light LD01 is the only UI they have that makes sense to me... their other other lights are the ones that need better UIs. Med is what I need 90% of the time in my EDC, I would hate to have to double twist all the time to get it. I think some people use other modes more, which is why some start on low, some start on high. The low on my LD01-SS XP-G (or is it G2 can't remember) is perfect, but the LD02 does need a lower low. I looked at SB's Review of L08 and nothing about it, size, shape, runtime, or UI looked interesting to me for a keychain light.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic

And that's the thing right there really, is that another reason Fenix has kept the 'medium first' UI is that there are a lot of people who prefer it.

I loved my original L0D, and had no problem getting around it, but now that I've had so many other lights, I would just love to have low first in rotation, with memory so that whatever level was most often used, it would be the one that would keep coming up on activation.

myst999

Newly Enlightened

Just as an FYI, I have AW and Efest 10440's and none of them worked in the LD02. I also tried an Ultrafire 10440 which didn't work either. I thought I had read that 10440's worked in the LD02 but apparently they don't. Very disappointed as I use 10440's in my LD01 with no problems.

mactavish

Newly Enlightened

Looked at this as I like tiny AAA lights, but can't see any advantages over my AA Eagtac D25A (measured mine at 88.5mm). That light has a solid pocket clip, tail stands, and supports lithiums. The Fenix may be 12mm or so shorter, but I'll take tail stand ability, over the slightly shorter Fenix, where the button sticks out too far. Since its AAA, I'm sure it's a bit thinner as well, but I just ordered the latest DQG AAA clicky, for small size.

Last edited:

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast

You are right the LD02 does not tail stand but works fine with AAA lithiums.

FerFAL

Newly Enlightened

It seems like every single thread has mention of a low not being "low enough". And I agree. I swear, manufacturers either

1. never visit CPF for feedback
2. don't care
3. just like to drive us all insane by producing "almost perfect" lights.
4. or some/all of the above
:banghead:

Thrunite is making nice "moonlight/firefly" modes at 0.5 lumens. Both the TN4A and T10T have a 0.5 lumen moonlight mode.
I'm currently EDCing the T10T.
FerFAL

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think moonlight modes are just difficult to implement well, which is why a lot of manufactures don't bother with them. IIRC, there was some discussion about the latest HDS lights (which are supposed to be great lights and certainly cost it!) having horrible efficiency on their moonlight modes. Basically, about 10x worse efficiency than what you get from other manufacturers like 4sevens and Zebralight.

So clearly, even those manufactures that include moonlight modes, don't necessarily do it well.

But, IMO, I'd rather have an inefficient moonlight mode than none at all.

andrew2

Newly Enlightened

I think moonlight modes are just difficult to implement well, which is why a lot of manufactures don't bother with them. IIRC, there was some discussion about the latest HDS lights (which are supposed to be great lights and certainly cost it!) having horrible efficiency on their moonlight modes. Basically, about 10x worse efficiency than what you get from other manufacturers like 4sevens and Zebralight.

So clearly, even those manufactures that include moonlight modes, don't necessarily do it well.

But, IMO, I'd rather have an inefficient moonlight mode than none at all.

I agree with you,but another reason I think is that,how many people really need or care the so-called moonlight mode,and people in law enforcement and hunting area may not need this mode.If this is really very important,most company may release lights with moonlight mode.

kj2

Flashaholic
Have and still use this light as EDC often. Still don't use the clip but drops easily in a pocket. Coating holds-up nicely. No dings or scratches yet. Output is enough for my daily tasks.

magicstone12

Banned

The problem is that most consumers don't know the usefulness of moonlight mode. Before I got my first light that had moonlight mode, I thought, "Yeah, interesting, but I'll probably never use it. Too dim for anything useful."

After I started using it, I was hooked and now won't buy a light without it. But I'm in a very very small minority.

Yes,agree with you.Most people want the moonlight mode,they say they won't wake up others when they use the moonlight mode at night,but as for me,I seldomly use in the evening.I was wondering how many people need this mode and how often they use it.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast

Does this light have a retaining ring in the tailcap that could potentially loosen like other models?

I really like this little thing, anyone had any issues?

Last edited:

kj2

Flashaholic

Does this light have a retaining ring in the tailcap that could potentially loosen like other models?

I really like this little thing, anyone had any issues?

No issues for me, and you twist the body loose at the head. So with changing batteries, the force is on the other side of the body.

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast

I purchased this light at REI but noticed it now available at fenix-store at a more reasonable price. Good to see this light is becoming more widely available.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast

I purchased this light at REI but noticed it now available at fenix-store at a more reasonable price. Good to see this light is becoming more widely available.

I would suggest Fenix Lighting if you are only going to purchase the light. They offer a lifetime warranty on all lights and there is a sweet offer if you join their mailing list. In addition, their launch date ETA is the 15th. I figure this is the best route to go 1) For the cost. 2) By that time all the first run lights have been sold through the REI presale. Should there be a problem, I would assume they would catch and correct with the later batch lights.

Note: This is pure speculation. I do not know and have not heard of any issues or changes. light seems solid.

EDIT: I did not take note of shipping costs so do your own math ;).

Last edited:

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast

No issues for me, and you twist the body loose at the head. So with changing batteries, the force is on the other side of the body.

NICE.