Review Klarus XT11GT

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for the nice review and pictures!

So glad this light doesn't require a proprietary battery - good job Klarus!

Does the main tailcap rubber button switch have memory in any of the 3 selectible UI's?

My wish list:
1) magnetic recharger port like the other Klarus models.
2) last mode memory for big rubber switch in 'outdoor' mode.
3) smaller parasitic drain for paddle switch
4) backlit power buttons for quick visual access in the dark in 'outdoor' mode (both rubber tailswitch and side click e-switch)
5) higher power XHP50 version for greater total output. Also bigger reflector with XHP50 for more throw.
6) compatible with new 21700 batteries
7) big copper heatsink similar to Nitecore TM03.
8) visual holes at bottom end of holster so if light is accidentally activated, user is aware and can see the light.
9) bigger rounded corners on metal grip ring for greater comfort.
10) spring ring incorporated at front end of inner metal tube so electrical contact is reliable without having to tighten tailcap so much.

Last edited:

harro

Enlightened
My new XT12GT also has PWM on the two lower outputs, where the high and turbo appear to be CC or at least of a frequency too high to be detectable by eye. It also has the same paddle switch as the XT11GT, and its a ripper. Very easy to use. 2,000 lumens from an X-PL Hi ?? Seems pretty steep. All in all though, KL seems to have their stuff together with these latest XT series lights. The CW doesn't worry me, as long as it doesn't show noticible blue tint. The 1,600 lumens of the XT12GT is probably a bit more believable for the output claims.

spurshooter

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered one on Amazon. I'm not a long enough forum member to get in on the GB going on here and I need it soon for a low-light pistol class. Should be in hand tomorrow night. This will be my first of the truly modern premium lights. I've been buying Costco lights for around the house and in the vehicles. But this need is for our house defense plan. The Costco lights don't have a reasonable control logic on the switch. They cycle thru all the functions (high, low, strobe) one at a time as you turn it off and on. This Klarus will be better suited with the light in the "tactical mode".

spurshooter

Newly Enlightened
Mine showed up from Amazon tonight. Took it outside. Very impressive. You could drive a vehicle on a dark road with this light.

mine has the latest upgrade 3100 mah battery. I haven't noted the noise.

Last edited:

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine showed up from Amazon tonight. Took it outside. Very impressive. You could drive a vehicle on a dark road with this light. mine has the latest upgrade 3100 mah battery. I haven't noted the noise.

Which LED did you get: the XHP35-HD full-dome or XHP35-HI flat-dome ?

I recently read somewhere Klarus reduced the driver power on the HD because the HI version was getting too hot. Maybe the HI was overdriven?

GoingGear has a video comparing the XT11S/XPL-HI (about 1000 lumens) and the XT11GT/XHP35-HI (2000 lumens). To the naked eye looking at the video, there is a huge difference in lumen output, even though doubling the lumen number should only result in a somewhat visible difference to the naked eye.

The XT11GT is definitely one of the most pimped-out lights today: 3 independent switches, a charger port, a boost driver for a one-cell XHP - all in a standard Surefire 6P sized light !

Last edited:

CyberTrpr

Newly Enlightened
I have the XT11GT HD and never had an issue with the whine until I left it in my car where it has been 10 degrees the last few days. It had the whine when it was cold but after leaving it in the house last night the whine has gone away. I have a couple older XT2C lights that one whines and one doesn't. Just a "feature" of Klarus lights I guess. The tint on the XT11GT is very cool white blue comparing it to a cool white Zebralight SC63. It is a very good light and have been very happy with it as a tac light.

Chozzehnwahn

Newly Enlightened
Which LED did you get: the XHP35-HD full-dome or XHP35-HI flat-dome ?

I recently read somewhere Klarus reduced the driver power on the HD because the HI version was getting too hot. Maybe the HI was overdriven?

GoingGear has a video comparing the XT11S/XPL-HI (about 1000 lumens) and the XT11GT/XHP35-HI (2000 lumens). To the naked eye looking at the video, there is a huge difference in lumen output, even though doubling the lumen number should only result in a somewhat visible difference to the naked eye.

The XT11GT is definitely one of the most pimped-out lights today: 3 independent switches, a charger port, a boost driver for a one-cell XHP - all in a standard Surefire 6P sized light !

You're right about the hi version being overdriven. I measured amp draw at the tail cap at 5.95 amps! As a comparison my newly acquired eagtac tx30c2 with xhp35-hi draws only 4.6 amps. The klarus gets hotter much faster.Throw looks similar but the beam on the eagtac is much more focused with smaller hotspot. Since I acquired my Klarus it has been less than reliable, it only works when it wants to. I might send it back to Klarus so they can send me the new HD version, which they have reduced the power on to make more reliable

Lawr3nce

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the detailed review, Daniel.

I think this one hits the sweet spot on many levels: Strong turbo (to impress your friends, mostly :)), good "actual" operating ranges, a mean design, built-in charger, direct access to strobe (if you get in the situation to use it, it better be directly accessible)

I was considering the Nitecore TM03, but after some hemming and hawing decided against it because of the custom battery and additional charger that has to be added to the already considerable price, and the fact that the lowest output mode is already too bright, leading to low maximum operation time.