Review Thorfire TG06S

MrBrown

Newly Enlightened
For submission in the Reviews forum

The TG06S is an upgraded version of the TG06. I was excited to review this flashlight because I'm a fan of small EDC lights that will also accept common AA, along with the more powerful 14500 batteries. It's small, lightweight, bright and great for everyday carry. It comes in a nothing fancy brown box that contains the flashlight, pocket clip, 2 spare o-rings and owners manual.

40850223975_0a232dc96f_b.jpg

I received a package that included a 14500 battery and charger. You can also buy a cheaper package with just the light and not battery and charger.

Some specs:

CREE XPG2 LED
The flashlight runs off one (button top) 14500 or AA battery.
Length 3.7 inch, weight 1.3 oz (excluding battery)
5 modes: High, Medium, Low, Moonlight and Strobe
When using a 14500 battery - High (500LM), Medium (200LM), Low (50LM), Moonlight (1LM ), and a Hidden Strobe mode (double tap). Strobe is also variable speed.
When powered by AA battery - High (150LM), Middle (80LM), Low (20LM), Moonlight (0.5LM ), and a Hidden Strobe mode (double tap). Strobe is also variable speed.
With a removable and reversible clip, the TG06S can also clip to your hat for hands free use.
Reverse Clicky, no memory mode, so light always turns activates on High mode.
Aircraft Grade Aluminum
Waterproof IPX-8

41749480961_075b0600f7_b.jpg

The light includes a Glow in the Dark Ring to make it easier to find in the dark and a smooth reflector to give it a little throw.

40850221435_9d613b04a5_b.jpg

For size comparison, here is the TG06S next to a AAA Lumintop.

41749483211_250348c8a4_b.jpg

The light is small enough to be comfortable in hand or pocket.

40850288135_38097082ca_b.jpg

Here are some beam shots including Low, Medium and High modes at about 60ft.

The light doesn't have built in low voltage protection so a protected 14500 would be recommended.

Overall, I think the the TG06S is a great light and a great value. I like the fact that I can reverse the clip and attach it to my hat. Plus, I carried it comfortably in pocket for days. It's become one of my go to EDC lights.

Full disclosure: I was provided a sample for review.

slmjim

Newly Enlightened
Nice review, thanks.

I too am a fan of the single AA/14500 format.

The first TG06S I received exhibited intermittent issues. Thorfire replaced it quickly & graciously, and their communication was great.

The TG06S has quickly become my general purpose pocket light. The reversible clip was one of the selling features for me. I don't understand why manufacturers can't be bothered to machine one more clip groove into many their smaller lights for clip reversal. The ability to clip the light to a cap's bill is quite useful.

The H>M>L sequence is growing on me. Didn't think I'd like it, but for general use to illuminate a dark recesses it works great.

Only cells I've been running in it are NiMH or the occasional used alkaleak to suck it dry. Used alkies don't stay in long enough to begin weeping, much less leak. Output is still fine when used like that. When low becomes the only mode available that's time to swap cells. Personally, I don't have need for 14500's. If I want throw or outright brilliance I'll use a different tool.

For me, the only thing missing from this light is a fourth, single or high-sub-lumen mode. Otherwise, it's a quality photon spout for general utility carry at an outstanding price.

They do go on sale occasionally at Amazon for a substantial discount.