Reylight lights ? The Dawn ?

mcm308

Enlightened
Came across an advertisement the other day for a Reylight Dawn 18350 triple emitter. The light looked good,real good. Like I kinda want one. But how do they rank in the quality department compared to Surefire, Streamlight, Olight. Those are what I currently have. I read the recent thread about being tied up with Maratac but not much more than that. Thanks

I've owned a titanium 18650 Dawn and the build quality is excellent. I like the clip so much, I ordered extras to mount to other lights 😂. To compare it with Surefire and Streamlight would be a bit like apples to oranges. Reylight is IMO superior to Olight because Rey designs his lights for enthusiasts with high CRI emitters good UI, and non-proprietary batteries. Reylight are on par with Emisar lights, just with simpler UI and slightly fancier offerings in materials.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Vosteed/Reylight Rook, which should be very similar to the 18350 Dawn, except it's body is designed after a rook chess piece. I absolutely love it and would highly recommend it and the Dawn.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
short answer:
The Reylight Copper Tool was made by Lumintop

newer Reylight models are made by Wuben:

Rey light Quality and Support are excellent

----

the longer version:
Reylights are very well made.

At the end of 2015 he contracted with Lumintop for a minimum factory order of 500 units of the Reylight Copper Tool AAA. It was very successful and was followed by a Ti Tool AAA.

in this pic you can read part of the Reylight inscription on my Copper Tool AAA:
IMG_2475.jpg

The Reylight Copper Tool design features, that had not been offered by Lumintop before, were
1. Low mode of 1 lumen, always starts on low, then medium, then high, no last mode memory. At the time the Lumintop Tools started on Medium, not Low.

2. Copper host was Rey's idea, at the time Lumintop only made the Tool AAA in aluminium.

3. Nichia 219b 4000K, a first for a Lumintop built light.

Rey is very savvy about what flashaholics like. He was active on the forums and sought input and feedback about features, before he released the High CRI Reylight Copper Tool AAA with LMH mode sequence and no memory.

For the LAN and Pineapple, Rey used Wuben manufacturing, which I believe is still true today, also for his Dawn.

I have modded a Reylight Ti Lan, and was very impressed by the build quality, fit and finish.

Imo, Reylights are very well made and the designs are very well thought out. He caters to people who appreciate High CRI Nichia LEDs, fancy metals (Copper and Titanium), and Tritium slots, such as on the Dawn.

The Dawn also incorporates a screwed on pocket clip, a better design feature than the press fit clips that Lumintop uses on the Tool AAA.

If you like the Reylight UI, the choice of LED, the size, weight, and aesthetic appearance of one of his lights, I have no hesitation in recommending Reylight build quality and design features. Customer support is also excellent.

I owned two of the older 18650/18350 Reylights, one in stonewashed titanium, the second a gorgeous copper model. They were very well made, and the emitter color was flawless. I wouldn't hesitate to buy any of his lights. You won't be disappointed.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm on my 3rd Reylight. I first spotted one on Amazon and loved the style-brass pineapple. I'm generally not a fan of Chinese lights for the same reasons as anyone else but Rey is different.

First off he is a flashaholic, he is making lights that are decent, and has a cool back story.

The last one I got was in a finish I don't like, in a material I don't need: titanium, and starts off in a dim mode that is nearly useless to me. This matters little though I wanted to see what seemed important to Rey. The only thing that was a feature that I wanted was that it was a long penlight of which I am a fan.

When I go to show it off I can say well this is how they do things in PR China. This is a unique material that is only from China that is used in aerospace, the designer comes from a security background, these features are what are really important. While an American may value bright light on first click and the Dutch may value the strobe the Chinese value dim light to read with and not disturb the eyes.

Things like this should be the future of lights and it is good to see the Chinese come up with things on their own instead of faking popular brands and turning out rubbish for the plebs.

xguess

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone,

I have a question about ReyLight Ti Triple Dawn v2. Is there a protected battery (18650 or 18350) with type c charging that will fit this flashlight? I really don't want to carry another charger for this...

Ray's website says that only unprotected batteries are recommended... becuase the flashlight already has all the important portections inside. May be there is one of the same size with unprotected but with less capacity and type c charger...

Thank you for your answers 🙏

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a question about ReyLight Ti Triple Dawn v2. Is there a protected battery (18650 or 18350) with type c charging that will fit this flashlight?
I dont think so, but I have not tried.

fwiw, here is a Protected Button Top 18650 w USB charging

but it is 3mm longer than an Unprotected Flat Top 18650. I do not have a Dawn, and I do not own that battery, so I do not know if it will fit and work in a Dawn.

You would have to buy it and try it for yourself. Also, the Dawn calls for a Flat Top battery, I do not know if a Button Top will work.

Same issues w this Protected Button Top 18350 w USB charging:

It is 3mm longer than an Unprotected Flat Top 18350.

So again, you would have to buy the battery and try it yourself.

imo, you would be better off buying this USB charger to use with the correct Unprotected Flat Top battery that the Dawn calls for. The charger is Very compact and works for many different battery sizes, including 18650 and 18350.

xguess

Newly Enlightened
I dont think so, but I have not tried.

fwiw, here is a Protected Button Top 18650 w USB charging

but it is 3mm longer than an Unprotected Flat Top 18650. I do not have a Dawn, and I do not own that battery, so I do not know if it will fit and work in a Dawn.

You would have to buy it and try it for yourself. Also, the Dawn calls for a Flat Top battery, I do not know if a Button Top will work.

Same issues w this Protected Button Top 18350 w USB charging:

It is 3mm longer than an Unprotected Flat Top 18350.

So again, you would have to buy the battery and try it yourself.

imo, you would be better off buying this USB charger to use with the correct Unprotected Flat Top battery that the Dawn calls for. The charger is Very compact and works for many different battery sizes, including 18650 and 18350.
Thank you Jon, I haven't seen those USB charges before. Maybe it is indeed a solution.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
those USB chargers
they used to be sold by Olight, but are discontinued

the one I linked is now the only source I know for that particular model, but it might be expensive for you to order from USA.

the keywords to search for something similar are "universal magnetic charger", there have been a couple of similar products offered by other companies, for example this one from Nitecore called the LC10.

I hope you find one that works well for you.

xguess

Newly Enlightened
they used to be sold by Olight, but are discontinued

the one I linked is now the only source I know for that particular model, but it might be expensive for you to order from USA.

the keywords to search for something similar are "universal magnetic charger", there have been a couple of similar products offered by other companies, for example this one from Nitecore called the LC10.

I hope you find one that works well for you.
Thank you. I have ordered the flashlight itself with a few different battery variants) let's see)

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rey Lights
I think the quality is fantastic, I now own 3 of his lights. It is the first light I've been compelled to buy in 2 +years!
TI LANapple!

Not only is the UI great, but It can also easily be programmed to L/M/H or H/M/L, you can choose to have memory, and moonlight on or off. Also, double click to max. So, it can truly be all things to everyone. (All Rey Lights have almost identical programming protocols).

I've had a pineapple mini in copper twisty for 6 years and it performs flawless. I just bought a TI LANapple and it is the best-looking light I've seen in years, titanium and at a bargain price! It may be better looking than the old Mcgizmo lights!

I also bought a Brass pineapple mini (Clicky) as well, I think the UI of Moonlight/low/med/hi (ML/2%/10%/50%) is very useful to me as EDC. It does have 4 other programs, Reylight flashlights are known for their customizability.
Group1: (Moonlight)-2%-20%-100%
Group2: (Moonlight)-10%-40%-100%
Group3: (Moonlight)-2%-10%-50% My favorite for best runtimes!
Group4: (Moonlight)-50%-100%-strobe-SOS

LANapple runs either Alk/NIMH or Lion, using the lion I read it AA is 600 lumens. I am using Eneloop and its great. I really like that it has tritium slots as well, Fit and finish are flawless. Clip is really good This UI is very user friendly and intuitive, best thing since the days of FLUPIC boards (Goldserve IIRC) ( FLUPIC, now there's an old reference!) I really appreciate being able to pick it up and know what mode it will get!( I grew tired of the complex interfaces of many of today's lights.) I have No affiliation with the company, I am just thrilled to have found such a great light and wanted to share in case it was missed/looked over, they are definitely worth checking out!