Shouldn't Lumens Factory Have a Turbo Head?

Mark@LF

Enlightened
Hi Justin,

It comes with the Orange Peel reflector installed.
The Mirror Finish reflector is sealed in packaging to avoid getting foreign matter on the reflective surface
The head is 67mm and the reflector is 61.5mm.

We use compressed air on reflectors to clean off dust particles when needed.
Compressed air cans are readily available in many places and is recommended for the job.

Hi Horizonseeker,

Well, it will fit since it use the same threads.
But you will need to get the correct lamp assembly since the weaponlights use the smaller version of the M lamp assembly.
The head is much larger then the stock weaponlight head as well, which might get in the way when you mount the light to a weapon.

Thanks.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
The head is 67mm and the reflector is 61.5mm.

That is an impressively thin bezel at less than 3mm thick, including the shock-absorbing system. When I eyeball a SF KT1 TH, it comes in at about 3.5mm and that is without a shock system. I"d estimate the bezel thickness for a Z46 at about 5mm and a KT4 at about 6mm.

horizonseeker

Enlightened
Hi, Mark:

Thanks for the reply. I was actually thinking of getting LF's LED tower drop-in since you mentioned that they would be released together with the M turbo head or close to each other. I have a M900A on the way that I would like to be able to switch over to LED as needed.

If not, there's always the M6 to mount this to as well.

Thanks.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
As Mark mentioned, the larger head diameter may interfere with fit to a weapon. The KT4 is about 63mm diam, so you need to make sure that you can accommodate an extra 2mm of greater radius. Depends on the gun. With a M900 mounted to a Knight's RIS/RAS fore-end on a Colt SMG, a KT4 barely clears the front sling mount. It's not clear if there is room to fit even 2mm extra. For something like a Colt Sporter Lightweight that has the bayo lug ground off, you probably can move the M900 forward to clear the sling mount.

Mark@LF

Enlightened
Hi Horizonseeker, both the head and towers have been released already.
Please check out our site for details.

You can of course use the head on the M6 with nothing to worry about.
But Justin is right on the points about the M900 mounting, so please keep it in mind.

Cheers,

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Assuming one uses your tri-mode LED tower, do you have any idea of what kind of throw one would be looking at? I'm thinking one 18650 (Seraph 6) or three RCR123 (Seraph 9). Also, would this be compatible with a Malkoff MD3 body?

Just ball-park figures - nothing we would hold your feet to the fire for! :devil:

Last edited:

Steve in SoCal

Enlightened
Very cool developments here. Can't actually believe this happened. Thanks for making the turbohead for the M series, i have 4 or 5 compatible lightsbetween M3/4/6 and FM products.

How much bigger than a KT4 is the new LF turbohead?

What are the technical specs on the towers?

Do the towers also fit and focus in a standard KT4 head?

Last edited:

Mark@LF

Enlightened
Hi Timothybil,

That is a rather tricky question, lol.
I would say a pretty reasonable one? The mirror finish reflector is pretty good for throw and I think it should satisfy most users. :)
We only tested the head fitment on our own products and Surefire products.

Hi Steve in SoCal,

Thanks for the nice comments.
The head is about 67mm and KT4 is about 63mm.
So it is a little bigger, but the design is different and our reflector is considerably larger then the KT4's.

Specs are on the page as what cenz said.

Yes, the towers fit and focus in a standard KT4 and actually we tested it on KT1s, SRTH and the old 3 inch TH as well.

Cheers,

darkangel55555

Newly Enlightened
I thought this had been long abandoned. At least, I forgot about it.

This calls for a celebration. Time to buy some LF products!

I love lamp.

Steve in SoCal

Enlightened
Ok, I have ordered a turbohead and single mode tower from LF. Will report back once the package makes it to Los Gatos from Hong Kong. :)

Steve in SoCal

Enlightened
Ok finally some pics. Fyi, the M6 body and tailcap are black.

uduja3em.jpg

davuqeny.jpg

Last edited:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
There were a lot of ideas floating around in this thread and they couldn't make everyone happy. I agree it's not perfect but it won't be for everyone. The black ano will match solarforce lights and there are a lot of those out there. Actually surprised they don't match the seraph Grey because that would help seraph host sales. I'm also not sure why they kept the shock isolating foam design but they did. As to the threading hopefully they include the thread adaptor to make it compatable
@ampdude. I'm not trying to single you out but you seem to be taking this as a personal insult. If their product doesn't work for you then simply don't buy one. And I've been nothing but happy with my d26 drop ins I've had and still do. I must have 12h on my eo4 and it's stillggoing strong. Same with my ho9

It is a personal insult because this is the worst possible product they could have produced. This is nothing at all like the thread was about. We want a light weight version of a KT1/2 non-shock isolated turbohead like the T1 style. There was no demand for a black slightly larger KT4 made in China. Who gives a rip about a way crappier version of a KT4 turbohead? Nobody. If I would have wanted to make the most non-requested turbohead design possible, I would have designed one exactly like this. There are a ton of KT4's out there there nobody wants and black does not match anything.

Last edited:

Steve in SoCal

Enlightened
There is some truth to your post and your passion for your ideal product is great. Unfortunately the continued ranting is weakening your argument and is not super productive.. The fact that LF has come out with this product in any form is great. It is larger than the original and has 2 reflectors to choose from. Decent LED modules are also offered, which is cool, Black only is not ideal

Brigadier

Enlightened
This is what we wanted:

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

This is what we got, only in black that matches nothing:

standard.jpg

:thinking:

Just a quick FYI, the non shock isolated 9AN TH throws a much tighter beam a lot farther per lumen than the M6 or M3T TH. And it has a much wider spill to boot. A superior design, IMO.

Last edited:

cenz

Enlightened
TH and modules released??? :party::party::party:
Please, beamhots!!! incan and led!!! :popcorn:

Hi Dioni,

I got the TH sample (pre-mass production sample) before, and tested...

Generally the TH(use mirror reflector) can push most light to the front, that means the spill is dark. And hotspot is sharp but not small, which bigger than KT-2, that means the throwing angle is bigger than KT-2.

Mine DC is destored suddenly, and i tried the smart phone but not show the different clearly.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is some truth to your post and your passion for your ideal product is great. Unfortunately the continued ranting is weakening your argument and is not super productive.. The fact that LF has come out with this product in any form is great. It is larger than the original and has 2 reflectors to choose from. Decent LED modules are also offered, which is cool, Black only is not ideal

I don't think you should bother with defending this unless your lifelong goal is being a peacemaker, or you have some stake in this. Otherwise you should tell the rest of us why you think telling the truth is weakening my posts.

Mark@LF

Enlightened
There are quite a lot of reasons for the turbohead to have the final design as it did.

I have already explained that I choose the M thread because a wider range of users can use it.

What about the shock absorbing design?
The initial design do not have that, but we found that many LED towers on the market has a thicker base due to the need to house the driver.
It needed the extra clearance the shock rubber can give in order to use it.
It was true with our original LED tower design as well, but we have changed it at the end so it was not as think as the initial design.

The black colour: Well, it was supposed to be HA3 natural and unfortunately there were some complications that lead to it to be black at the end.
I should have stand my ground on this issue with the anodizer even if it would mean a delay in the release date, it has already took so long to develop I didn't want to stall it any longer so I admit I made a mistake here.

To be honest, I don't think it is really a bad product at all. It is something different and modular that M users would found it useful.
But again, I admit I could have stand my ground on the colour issue.

So, what now.

I see something that can be done and that is to redesign the housing to bring it back to its roots.

I will keep the modular 2 reflector approach to it, but make it a simple C thread no shock-absorbant turbohead with a flat bezel ring.
I will use HAIII natural or if possible an OD grey finish. <- I will need some suggestions here as this is a C thread head and a lot of the lights for this thread platform are black.

If this is what you guys want then I will have a go at it, but I don't want to make any "mistakes" again.
So please give me some suggestions and I will see how to proceed.

Thanks.

Mark