SHOW OFF YOUR CONVOY S2/S2+ MODS!!!

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ordinarily, yes. You'll see the two larger wires, those are 22 gauge that feed the LEDs.
This is the special LED4Power driver that has temperature sensors and a mosfet on the LED board, to communicate to the driver board. So those skinny wires are about 30 gauge, but just send data, not power to the LEDs themselves.

DrafterDan, what size wire are you using here? I am just asking as I was told you need to use 28 to 22AWG. and your wire looks smaller. Just trying to learn here so just a question.

thanks

GRAY LITNIN

Newly Enlightened
Keep'em coming guys! Discussions on parts compatibility such as above is extremely encouraged!!

lotec 25- All of us are just trying to learn, same as you friend!
You may know the following already (and more lol) but it might help someone in the future.
Im no flashlight guru by any means but i'll share what knowledge i do know being a sparky!
Wire gauge depends on amps. DrafterDan pointed out that the smaller wires are used for a control circuit, and it wont be using the power but instead just telling it where to go. Like all electrical stuff, heat is #1 problem. More amps = more heat, so if amps are identical then the bigger wire (least resistance) will always run cooler. You can push many more amps through a wire than what it is rated for, copper doesnt melt till something like 1800-2000F, but the insulation will burn long before that. Factors like ambient temperature, duty cycle, stranded or solid core, and composition of the insulation (and conductor as well) will ultimately determine the proper size of wire but for the sake of simplicity stick to what a manufacturer recommends. When in doubt always go bigger. Even if it works fine, too small a wire can work for a while but heat will eventually degrade the insulation and possibly even components that the wire is connected to. If you're wanting to dig deeper look up some NEC charts and insulation types for different applications (there are ALOT)

I tend to over build things, when practical, i use as big of a conductor as i can (stranded if possible when using wire). Although i know its probably immeasurable, the thought of the least resistance and more robust components makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.

DrafterDan
Thanks for sharing!!! Made any progress over the weekend? Pics/build tips?

Last edited:

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is one for you then: Convoy S2+ Running a cree XP-E 660nm photo red using a linear driver with guppydrv universal (Nanjq 105C) Shown to you on moonlight.
qJh1o2a.jpg

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Super cool! Thanks static! Did you build it for fun or is there a practical purpose involved?
Thanks all, it was just for fun. I had a bunch of stock Convoys that I bought while exploring color temps and tint options so after I was bored with them I modded them for the heck of it. I also have a blue host with a royal blue XPE2 and a Green host with a green XPE2. Id need to retrieve them from the office if I wanted to photograph them.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Convoy S and C series are EXTREMELY easy to build and I would highly recommend trying to build one yourself. Very rewarding and a great point to enter the modding fold. The skills are very transferable and you can use it to springboard into your modding career. I now no longer care what emitters are in lights as I figure I can just swap them to exactly what I want them to be. Every light is now a host ;)

Cobraman502

Enlightened
Convoy S2+
Nichia 219c 5000k
Potted h17f driver
Added magnet to tail-cap, works out great, very strong.

1200+ OTF

4f88fa742b5701df6c2e75ddb1a52566.jpg

b3e7752f6e3ea5fc9db791e5b385282e.jpg
e13d90a2bb785a92a8138e795be8c7e8.jpg

2d93d081f88b7d8ae5bd217cfd4ca22d.jpg

Cobraman502

Enlightened
Very nice! Love the 219c choice and h17f, certainly one of my fav top drivers.

Yep the light puts out quite a bit for its size and is really efficient. I like the driver because I can lock to single mode if I want. My 19 month old daughter plays with this light after it's locked in moon light. She runs around in the dark, pretty funny. Gotta start em early [emoji38]

ven

Flashaholic
:cool: defo, flashlights have to be one of the most useful tools ever, no matter what the age. :)

Funny you should say about single mode, thats what i have on mine, the 2nd group is more a traditional low/med/ high . But the single "do it all" level gets used mainly, click once and every time i know what i am getting, no clicking through modes to find the right one. Just one level of usefulness..................just works.

GRAY LITNIN

Newly Enlightened
Convoy S2+
Nichia 219c 5000k
Potted h17f driver
Added magnet to tail-cap, works out great, very strong.

1200+ OTF

4f88fa742b5701df6c2e75ddb1a52566.jpg

b3e7752f6e3ea5fc9db791e5b385282e.jpg
e13d90a2bb785a92a8138e795be8c7e8.jpg

2d93d081f88b7d8ae5bd217cfd4ca22d.jpg

Wow, just about read my mind as i was thinking about something like this for my 7 yr old. Can't kill it, can't blind himself (with the right settings), then when he shows some brains i can show him what it really does. Imagine the realization when you grab it after he's played with it forever, swap modes and hand it back to him screaming in the darkness lol!!!

On a more serious note, this is great!!! I want to start potting some electronics but i need to solidify my ideas first so i don't make a permanent mistake lol. This driver is what ven recommended to me and it suits tons of different needs, i like that you can make all your lights the same but different as well lol. I love it! Great choice and thanks for sharing!

I ordered my magnets from simon at aliexpress but they haven't come in yet. Is this the same one?

Last edited:

Cobraman502

Enlightened
Wow, just about read my mind as i was thinking about something like this for my 7 yr old. Can't kill it, can't blind himself (with the right settings), then when he shows some brains i can show him what it really does. Imagine the realization when you grab it after he's played with it forever, swap modes and hand it back to him screaming in the darkness lol!!!

On a more serious note, this is great!!! I want to start potting some electronics but i need to solidify my ideas first so i don't make a permanent mistake lol. This driver is what ven recommended to me and it suits tons of different needs, i like that you can make all your lights the same but different as well lol. I love it! Great choice and thanks for sharing!

I ordered my magnets from simon at aliexpress but they haven't come in yet. Is this the same one?

Yes the magnets are the same. Little hint I didn't glue mine in. I used a piece of printer paper on one side as a shim and pressed it on a hard surface. This way if I needed to replace the magnet I can. It has not moved or loosened one bit and has been my edc for 6 months with the magnet. I have the 18650 and 18350 tubes and both work with this magnet, it's pretty strong. It comes in handy so often.

GRAY LITNIN

Newly Enlightened
except when you are wearing a mechanical watch...

Lol, aint that the truth!! Or a wristband compass!

Would be cool to have an electromagnet on a light. The magnet would only be activated when the light is on. Be tapeworm on runtime though lol!

I've had a few magnet fitted lights be saved from falls though by snagging something on the way down. But they were smaller!

Last edited: