Show your beat up light.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: lets see your scratched up lights

I think I've got you guys beat. How's this? Was a fellow's main duty light for a couple decades. Run over, thrown off bridges, dragged through mud, used to smash doors and windshields, and may /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif have been used for the occasional personality adjustment.

beat.jpg
Do you still have these beaters 18 years later?
I once owned a 7c Mag work light that had teeth marks in the barrel. Someone offered me hundreds for it so it's history.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never carried this one "in anger", but it was heavily used and has a great story from the previous owner. Mind you, the light should be 100% jet black.

beat.jpg

"I bought that light in the seventies while I was an MP in
Germany. When I started at xxxxx PD in 1978 they didn't provide
flashlights at all as part of issue so they allowed us to carry whatever we
bought. In 1981 I was riding shotgun on PM shift when our unit became
involved in a chase headed toward the xx border on Interstate xx. The
suspect driver was DWI, suspended and had a couple of bench warrants out for
him and he kept trying to force other vehicles into our cruiser. My Partner,
Officer xxxxxxx, brought the cruiser up alongside the suspect and I reached
out and tried to hinder his vision (mind you we were doing 85-95 Mph on a
bridge) by smashing his windshield with my flashlight. Well, I lost my grip,
the light bounced off the suspect's door column and was last seen skidding
under an 18-wheeler that we'd just past. After making the arrest at the end
of the chase in a field in xx we went back and found that light against the
curbing at the top of the bridge. The light survived pretty much intact. It
had a few good scuff marks on it, but I put a replacement bulb in and to my
amazement it still worked. I carried it until about 1985 when the PD started
putting rechargable lights in the cars."

Here's the one from this post. Along with a twin which lived the easy life, for comparison.

8I5p2XT.jpg

79A659t.jpg

Do you still have these beaters 18 years later?
I once owned a 7c Mag work light that had teeth marks in the barrel. Someone offered me hundreds for it so it's history.

Yeah, I still have most of my lights from back then. I got out of collecting for a while in the middle somewhere but every time I think I'm out, they pull me back in. Here's a selection of some of the lights with the most miles on them. Definitely some stories lost to time in here.

a3SfY8N.jpg

BattleBrat

Newly Enlightened
My main work light, 7 year +? My Mag Tac Rechargable Crenellated. Switch died twice in the first year then they rebuilt it and it hasn't failed since. Seeing some of your lights, particularly the Malkoffs and Surefires has me thinking mine will last longer than I thought! I'm building some Titanium Convoy S2+'s but I bought a titanium T3 and T4 and am using them at work and the titanium is holding up extremely well. Gonna DLC coat the S2+'s install some H17Fx drivers and some beaded TIR optics and soft pot them and they should last a very long time!
IMG_0735.jpeg
IMG_0734.jpeg

Monocrom

Flashaholic
My main work light, 7 year +? My Mag Tac Rechargable Crenellated. Switch died twice in the first year then they rebuilt it and it hasn't failed since. Seeing some of your lights, particularly the Malkoffs and Surefires has me thinking mine will last longer than I thought! I'm building some Titanium Convoy S2+'s but I bought a titanium T3 and T4 and am using them at work and the titanium is holding up extremely well. Gonna DLC coat the S2+'s install some H17Fx drivers and some beaded TIR optics and soft pot them and they should last a very long time!View attachment 57702View attachment 57701
Have to ask, how is the charger holding up?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'm not familiar with the Night Fighter. This is an Incan TL-2 with the lanyard coiled under the never-used pocket clip. I think from around 2004 or so. It was before I trusted the new-fangled LED lights. :cool:
NightFighter is basically a TL-2 but shorter overall by just a bit. It came with a ridiculously hard plastic grip-ring that had a carry-clip incorporated into the ring itself. The ring was apparently designed to fit an Alien's hand from outer space. Had one. Tried adjusting the ring.... Found out it was held on by a practically microscopic nut and bolt that is ridiculously easy to lose. Which I immediately did. Ironically, THAT made the light better as at the time, the ring-less NightFighter was the most compact 2xCR123 powered light on the market.

A few years later, I actually encountered a Streamlight rep. who told me in person that the NF was being re-modeled as an LED. I immediately told him of the issues I had with the old inca. version. And, that I was eagerly waiting for the new model to see how the company had improved both the clip and grip-ring design. He thanked me for my input. Couple of months later the "New" NF was released.... And literally the only thing Streamlight did was put put two cosmetic touches on the bezel. It was ridiculous!

Original NF was supposed to be a direct competitor with SureFire's excellent C2 design. But the NF is Streamlight's worse design in the company's history.

Surefire 6P bored by Oveready with a McClicky switch. Bike inner tube at head aids in quickly gripping while carrying head up. I've been carrying this light daily for probably 15+ years in my job. I'm a senior maintenance tech at a "luxury" apartment complex, and I'm approaching my 20th year of employment. I've replaced the switch boot once, and I've had to replace the lens only twice despite the obvious thousands of times it's been dropped. I once used the bezel to smash my way through 5/8 sheetrock while searching for a water leak rather than climbing out of my cramped location just to get a saw. I've heard stories about the bored bodies being too thin at the tailcap O-rings and occasionally breaking when dropped on the tail. I don't doubt that this has happened but look at the rim of this tailcap and take heart :cool:! I use this light dozens of times daily for plumbing, electrical, appliance repair, locksmithing, structural inspection, and pool maintenance. My drop-ins have either been Malkoff or Nailbender/Customlites and none have ever failed. :buttrock:

20240215_092030.jpg
20240215_092205.jpg

BattleBrat

Newly Enlightened
I really like my T4 ti, and have a T3 ti on order. Those S2s look pretty sweet too, for the price ... will likely get one of those in titanium also.

Love the ano wear on your Maglite. That's one to hold onto.
Let's hope my new ML50LX inspection lite wears as pretty. On the left my "working Malkoff" MDC HA2AA Cool. She's been carried around work around a year. Although I got it about three years ago when I got my MD2. I need to get off my duff and get her the hat clip and crenelated bezel so she can be my primary hat light. Right now I'm using the T3.
IMG_0745.jpeg