What is your, "give away to a stranger" light?

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Exactly. It aint like "while I'm at it let me throw that BR549 model in the cart to give away to a stranger some day".

I'd say the more likely scenario is for family members in town, neighbors, or co-workers. I have a 1AA Energizer light at my desk that I would loan out to any co-worker that needed a light, and I wouldn't be upset if I didn't get it back. (the light has pretty noticeable PWM on low).

For some family members, I'd keep a cheaper light ready to give to them if they happened to need it in a power outage. (I wouldn't get them a nice light to begin with since it would likely be lost or ruined by the time they needed it for real). Next time I'm in Home Depot I'm going to get that two-pack of Eveready 1D plastic LED lights for just this purpose.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
To each his own but if I'm going to give away a light I'd give away one I know is at least fairly reliable. I'd not give away a tire to a person who needs a tire one I know will probably leak soon. Nor would I give away a light I know would probably break soon, regardless who it is. It's a golden rule thing.

Oh I "field test" a light before I'd give it away, trust me. I used the Energizer quite a bit, and it seems pretty solid.

I'll do the same checkout on those 1D Eveready too. For those it would just be an in-house power outage light anyway, something that can just be turned on, sat down, and left in place all night.

If there's a serious need then I'll give a serious light. Years ago my brother had issues with wild critters getting around his fence at night and causing issues when he let his dog out ( skunk!!!!!! ahhh!!! )

I gave him a black SureFire C2 Centurion with a Nailbender drop-in. After field-testing it of course! :)

I hope he still has it!!

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had to ask google:
what's the saying about a single candle

"a single candle is all it takes to burn down a house"

Ok so that's not the actual quote but it's still true enough.

That's another case where I would definitely give a neighbor a light. ANY light. Cheap insurance. I don't want them using candles and burning everything down!!

Poppy

Flashaholic
"a single candle is all it takes to burn down a house"

Ok so that's not the actual quote but it's still true enough.

That's another case where I would definitely give a neighbor a light. ANY light. Cheap insurance. I don't want them using candles and burning everything down!!
lol... so true!
Google didn't offer that as a suggestion.

I also do not suggest candles for power outage situations.
ANd regarding family members, they are welcome to any light that I own.

But to a total stranger? He is likely to get one at the $10 mark. As @bykfixer often says, even a budget light isn't so bad anymore.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Don't have one. Not anymore. Folks nowadays look at you funny if you try to hand them one. They just hold up their Smartphone and say they're good. (Referring to their phone's flashlight feature.)

In the old days, the various Photon coin-cell light cheap clones were good for giving away.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't have one. Not anymore. Folks nowadays look at you funny if you try to hand them one. They just hold up their Smartphone and say they're good. (Referring to their phone's flashlight feature.)

In the old days, the various Photon coin-cell light cheap clones were good for giving away.

True. It's hardly ever an issue anymore. I will say that I often choke a little bit when I see a guy using his smartphone for a flashlight, knowing it costs 10 times more than the light I'm carrying! One little slip and that thing is toast.

Flynn's Arcade

Newly Enlightened
This! Confounding how many tradesmen I see working with a cellphone as their only light source.

Fuzzywuzzies

Newly Enlightened
It's interesting that so far not many folks have a specific brand/make/model of light which they specifically "stock" to give away. I think most of us have at least "a" light we would be willing to part with, but I think @IMA SOL MAN 's OP was specifically about what our "the" light (or stock of lights) is, for giving away.

I'm a bit of a knife guy, and I do have a knife which I keep a stock of to give away - the Civivi C907B Elementum Flipper in D2. They are fantastic bang for buck, entry level "real" knives that look great and perform very well. I've given away quite a few, and they are universally liked.

While I don't yet do the same for lights, I think I'm about to - thanks @IMA SOL MAN for the brilliant idea!
Without hijacking this thread, are there any suggestions?
I suppose we'd be looking for something like a decent quality 1AA LED with fairly muggle operation and excellent brightness, at an "I can afford to give several of these away" budget level.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
in need of a light.

They just hold up their Smartphone and say they're good.

That's different. First, they have to feel they're in need of a light. It's like unsolicited advice; I find people value it based on what they paid for it. Same probably applies to someone who doesn't feel they're in need of a flashlight. They would likely appreciate that similarly.

Fuzzywuzzies

Newly Enlightened
Hmm. A built-in cell with USB recharge would actually probably be better. You get better brightness and runtime, and no alkaline problem to be "used irresponsibly"…
Maybe something like the Olight i1R 2?

Galane

Newly Enlightened
The Olight i3E EOS in black can be a good "Oh, no, you keep that." light, if you buy a few when they're on sale. Currently they're $9.95