What is your, "give away to a stranger" light?

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
One reoccuring theme that I keep coming across on this forum is the generous giving of lights to strangers or friends in need of a light. So, I'm curious, what is your give away to a stranger light, if you keep one for that purpose?

Poppy

Flashaholic
@IMA SOL MAN that's a good question.
I don't have a light that I keep as a giveaway in particular.

In the trunk of my car I have a 2D cell light with a rayovac led in it that I'd be willing to give away. I also have a 1D light in my bedroom that I'd easily part with. I also have a 2AA rayovac indestructible in a pouch with a red traffic diffuser, that I'd part with in an emergency.

The last light I gave away to a stranger was a Sofirn D25L headlamp and before that I gave away Home Depot Defiant 3C triple LED flashlight.

The Defiant I gave to a young man who was looking for a dog. He was using his cell phone as a light. Two days later I found the light in my mailbox.

That was already 4 years ago.

The Hawk

Enlightened
I still have a few of those free lights from Harbor Freight that I would part with. I have given a couple away to folks that I see walking in our neighborhood without lights at night. They are neighbors that just don't realize how dangerous it is to be out at night w/o a light.

LaGgY_42o

Newly Enlightened
I've given out a KR1 SBT90.2 Cu w/ extra Ti tube/cap/SS bezel, two Acebeam P18's, Imalent R30C and LD70, Wuben G2, Thrunite Archer Pro, Manker MC13 II SFT40 BLUE and a MC13 Cu SFT40 to the friends that think I'm stupid for buying flashlights, now they don't shut up about how amazing their flashlights are. 😂

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've given out a KR1 SBT90.2 Cu w/ extra Ti tube/cap/SS bezel, two Acebeam P18's, Imalent R30C and LD70, Wuben G2, Thrunite Archer Pro, Manker MC13 II SFT40 BLUE and a MC13 Cu SFT40 to the friends that think I'm stupid for buying flashlights, now they don't shut up about how amazing their flashlights are. 😂
While that is admireable generosity, do you keep a light on hand to gift to a stranger in need?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
A few years ago I received a request from a fellow in Europe asking if I knew of a source for a no longer made light. I got his address and mailed him mine. It was my favorite LED flashlight to boot. (My favorite flashlight is an incan. It was a gift so I'd rather not give that one away.)

Last edited:

Rossymeister

Enlightened
Gave away a light this past Christmas eve. Came home from visiting family to a flooded kitchen. Pipe behind the dishwasher decided to freeze and bust. Apparently, no plumbers work on Christmas eve. Made 6 calls to different places and no body answered. In desperation, i made a call to a fellow that i go to church with that was a plumber. It was a simple fix to cut and cap a pipe. Wouldn't take any money, so i gifted him a Surefire C3 with a malkoff M91. Im sure he will get some use out of it.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I also gave a plumber a light. He was working under my kitchen sink, and had to cut a hole in the wall where the drain had rotted away about 4 feet from the trap. It was a challenge, and I gave him a dr prepare light to use. When he was finished, I gifted it to him instead of a tip.

It is a handy little COB number, that takes 2 18650 cells. It can be used as a battery bank to recharge your cell phone, and it is itself, rechargeable, without the need for an external charger.

Last edited:

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
What if someone from here gave away an Arc, no two Arcs, a Nitecore, a Malkoff drop in, MiniMaglite LED conversion, a Spyderco, and bunch of batteries to someone that was new to the hobby and created a real flashaholic.

I still think the world of that person.

3_gun

Enlightened

Poppy

Flashaholic
That silver Rayovac is also a give away light, that rides in a bag attached to the ashtray in my car. It's only about $10 in Walmart, is 18650 powered and is USB rechargeable. The battery is not removable. I bought it with the intention of giving it away, if warranted.

1691185646383.png

DRW

Enlightened
If I felt giving them whatever light is in my hand would help (not amuse) them, I'd just give it to them.

Then I'm justified in buying a new light to replace the gift.