"Sleeper" flashlights

scout24

Flashaholic
Milky E1 Roomsweeper head on an Aleph 123 body, 2-stage tailcap with 60 ohm resistor. Twist or push, low for maybe 10-20 lumens, looks like a small, dim pocket light. Twist or push just a bit more, and the IMR 16340 direct drives the head, for 650+ lumens of goodness... it seems to have the same brightness as the 17670 body/ clicky it came with. A bit heavy towards the front with that big brass heatsink, but small, unassuming, and with a very usable "stealth" low mode. :)

rambo180

Enlightened
Do not go giving us Aussies too much credit, I still impress many Aussies with just a simple 1 watt LED conversion in a AA Mini-mag :sick2:

When I fire up a 5-6D Mag with a TLE300 conversion there are many that think I am the second coming :candle: and heaven forbid I should fire up my Olight M30. To most Aussies these are just "torches" so the sleeper factor is usually just down to size. Most Aussies still think a EverReady "Dolphin" is a great light and Mag D's are just for security/LE types (at great expense)

No offence taken ;) , illumination technology is starting to take hold down here in the antipodes but a long way to go. I (whilst not being overly techno minded) appear to be the local illumination guru with many of my colleagues slowly becoming "Flashaholics".

HAHA i think aussies know that there are better lights out there than a $100 incan mag. But i agree, down under - Maglites are exclusive. Expensive and considered very very solid.

AND DOLPHINS ARE GREAT LIGHTS (somebody implied they're not)!! $15, available everywhere, massive throw, easy UI, waterproof, floats, tough, easy to find. Good feel. I love mags and dolphins.

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
My sleeper is a pair of Uniquefire X8's custom modded with direct drive XM-L stars. I actually have to be careful what cells I put in. My genuine Samsung laptop scavenged cells push too much current, 6-7 amps on a fresh charge. So I run some cheaper Trustfire or Ultrafire cells in it. 4 amps so it'll get warm, I was very careful to use a copper star XM-L and used arctic silver thermal compound on any critical heat paths. I get only 20 minutes of run time before it starts tapering off and a total of 30 minutes of bright useable light, but they're only one mode and everyone is always blown away when I turn it on, especially at night. It's like a searchlight.

But really they're more like drag racers, they don't serve as too useful for every day use, continuous use can make them quite hot, and I don't like pushing them like that.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff Little Twisty is a nice little light, good size for back pocket. Kinda pricey unless you're already into Malkoff dropins maybe but it's such a nice, sturdy, and super simple light.
It's not a hot rod but it's the light I always wanted the old mini-mag to be.

davyro

Enlightened
In the UK nearly everyone hasn't got a clue what types of light are available to buy,so if i show anyone any of my EDC lights(smaller sized lights)& i turn them on to a high setting they say how can something that small be as bright as that.
So here in the UK every small sized decent light is what you would call a sleeper.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
My favorite sleeper is an Energizer 1 watt I modded with a neutral XM-L and a three mode 2.8amp driver. 14500 only, but somewhere in the neighborhood of 500 OTF lumens.

I think that should qualify.

ico

Enlightened
The deft EDC and EDC LR are definitely sleepers in terms of size to throw ratio. Add the fact that its host is just/looks like a skyray so some might think its just your ordinary china light then BAM! Instant light saber.

And the upcoming torpedo too

Richub

Enlightened
My Fenix PD31 gets a load of "WoW!" responses as I turn it on on turbo, and the same goes for the TK35.
It's just a matter of the ratio between size & brightness, IMHO.

But like Davyro already said, a lot of people here (Europe) don't know about high performance flashlights, so they are very easily impressed.

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
OLD thread... :)

Sleeper... MiniMag modded with Triple XPE driven at 2.8A with linear driver... IMR14500 battery and spacer... just to show people how WRONG they are stating that their "terralux extreme" upgrade to their MiniMag's is BRIGHT !!! :hahaha:

The only Mag I have now... but for that sole purpose... :)

rambo180

Enlightened
OLD thread... :)

Sleeper... MiniMag modded with Triple XPE driven at 2.8A with linear driver... IMR14500 battery and spacer... just to show people how WRONG they are stating that their "terralux extreme" upgrade to their MiniMag's is BRIGHT !!! :hahaha:

The only Mag I have now... but for that sole purpose... :)

Terralux Ministar2 Extreme is still bright right? I'm waiting on one in the mail, don't make me feel bad already!

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't feel bad... that is still a nice upgrade for old incan models... and you keep "candle mode"...

I'm talking about extreme turnover by either very enthusiastic amateurs or pro's as it includes fair amount of machining and other good stuff... but the results are staggering... :) I wouldn't call MiniMag with MiniStar2 Extreme a sleeper, though... it gives close to 100 OTF lumens so is comparable with a LOT of decent flashlights on the market now... we are in the LED era, after all...

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow. My last post in this thread was 06-10-2010.

My new sleeper is a STOCK 2AA MiniMag Pro LED Flashlight. It is a genuine unmodified MiniMag but outputs 226 lumens instead of 14 lumens.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Wow. My last post in this thread was 06-10-2010.

My new sleeper is a STOCK 2AA MiniMag Pro LED Flashlight. It is a genuine unmodified MiniMag but outputs 226 lumens instead of 14 lumens.

:confused:

Details please.

Samy

Enlightened
I would say a Sunwayman V10A XML with a 14500 would be an excellent sleeper ;)

cheers

edpmis02

Enlightened
QuarkX AA tactical head with a 123 body running RCR123. Both parts are completely unmarked. small, generic looking but mighty!

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
:confused:

Details please.
New Mini Maglite Pro+ LED Flashlight
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?333051-New-Mini-Maglite-Pro-LED-Flashlight
Runtime graph does not look too hot (post#126).

The Mini Maglite Pro is 1 mode 226 lumens.
The Mini Maglite Pro+ is 2 mode 245 lumens or 25%. Point the light down when turn on > low. Point the light in any other direction on turn on > high. See video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XJBjUURSqo
Available at zbattery and brightguy. Other CPF members got to both places and cleaned out the Pro+ before I got there.