Small EDC flashlights vs medium size flashlights??

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I go for medium sized lights. You get a better grip on them, plus I like having the ability to use mine in a self-defense capacity if needed. Always clip-carried in my left front pocket of my pants. Not too big at all.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a lipstick EDC kid of guy preferring the 16340s.

EagleTac D25C Ti. clicky, Sunwayman V11R, Olight S-Mini, Ven's Convoy S2+ Triple he sent me (a bit fatter and heavier then the previous, but small enough.

I don't use my lights for hours on end, so 20 minutes on high, is usually more than enough.

Depends on what you need to light up and for how long.

My EagleTac is what I carry most everyday, for the past few years, but I do rotate.

This week it was the Emisar D4 w/18650 tube and it wasn't a problem.

I carry a SAK SwissChamp, a flip phone, a pack of gum, keys, wallet and a Seecamp .32, so I generally go out pretty well loaded.

Chris

Methos777

Newly Enlightened
Wow...Thanks for all the responses! What I'm getting from this is that a good number of you carry something even smaller than the Emisar d4 and Zebra's SC600 series of lights. While others, say it all about the need at the time. Great advice from all sources. So I would say that Lumens (1000 or more), high CD's and a good throw are very important to me. I just got the Zebra Sc600w Mark IV! I really think this is one of the best I've seen at this size. But at the same time, I really love my Thrunite TN12 too. I also have the Emisar D4 on it's way to me and can't wait to do a comparison on it vs the Zebra. Smaller lights( finger size lights) ...just don't cut it for me, no offense. The Zebra and Emisar are the smallest that I would want to go.

Last edited:

ChattanoogaPhil

Newly Enlightened
Average Joe here... My criteria for EDC is something that easily fits and carries unnoticed in the watch pocket of blue jeans. Otherwise, a larger light will be somewhere I'm not when I need it. Titan Plus has been my EDC for two years. Use is all the time.

crVZ2Pp.jpg

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow...Thanks for all the responses! What I'm getting from this is that a good number of you carry something even smaller than the Emisar d4 and Zebra's SC600 series of lights. While others, say it all about the need at the time. Great advice from all sources. So I would say that Lumens (1000 or more), high CD's and a good throw are very important to me. I just got the Zebra Sc600w Mark IV! I really think this is one of the best I've seen at this size. But at the same time, I really love my Thrunite TN12 too. I also have the Emisar D4 on it's way to me and can't wait to do a comparison on it vs the Zebra. Smaller lights( finger size lights) ...just don't cut it for me, no offense. The Zebra and Emisar are the smallest that I would want to go.

It all comes down to what a person needs in a light.

Why carry my ZebraLight SC600, which is bigger, when a smaller light will do the same job?

If you're farmer John and you have to go look for Mr. Ed, out in the pasture, then smaller lights might not cut it. Same deal if you're a cop on the beat, at night, who uses a light for many. many minutes.

I have blasters here but never seem to need the bigger batteries, or throw.

Make sure you get some Sony VTC5a cells for your D4. They're the best at handling the currents that the light runs on.

Chris

Methos777

Newly Enlightened

It all comes down to what a person needs in a light.

Why carry my ZebraLight SC600, which is bigger, when a smaller light will do the same job?

If you're farmer John and you have to go look for Mr. Ed, out in the pasture, then smaller lights might not cut it. Same deal if you're a cop on the beat, at night, who uses a light for many. many minutes.

I have blasters here but never seem to need the bigger batteries, or throw.

Make sure you get some Sony VTC5a cells for your D4. They're the best at handling the currents that the light runs on.

Chris

Thanks Chris. So I already bought Panasonic flat top 3500 batteries. Did I go wrong?

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Chris. So I already bought Panasonic flat top 3500 batteries. Did I go wrong?

Yes, if they're the Sanyo-Panasonic NCR-GAs, which are good up to 10A continuous.

The D4 can pull between 15A-20A on turbo, so something like the Sony VTC5a, which can handle 30A continuous, is the way to go.

Even the Samsung 30Q, which is good for 15A, will be running at its redline.

Now, if you're never using turbo, then sure, those cells will work, but where's the fun in that?

Chris

Methos777

Newly Enlightened

Yes, if they're the Sanyo-Panasonic NCR-GAs, which are good up to 10A continuous.

The D4 can pull between 15A-20A on turbo, so something like the Sony VTC5a, which can handle 30A continuous, is the way to go.

Now, if you're never using turbo, then sure, those cells will work, but where's the fun in that?

Chris

Wow... Thanks... I bet that is the reason why I am not getting the 1400lm of brightness right now. My nitecore MH20 at 1000lm looks 2x brighter than my Zebra Sc600w

joelbnyc

Enlightened
I have a stainless steel Ultratac K18 NW on my keychain. I rarely *need* anything else for EDC.

It gets crazy bright with a 3.7V 10440 aaa size cell, advertised at 360lm but I think more. It's obviously not good for longer use, but it gets the job done for most EDC cases. UI is a little weird, you have to double click to lock/unlock or it comes on in the pocket and burns your leg. But the ease of one-handed use of a forward clicky keychain light has kinda turned me off twisty 1xaaa's.

Up from that, a Manker E11 NW with a 14500 is advertised as 800 lumens, love this light, tiny and easily pocketable, crazy bright with the LiIon cell and pretty great even with NiMH.

A bit larger but with significant higher runtime of course is my Zebra SC64w, advertised as 1400 lumens of 80+ CRI 4500K neutral white. I don't normally carry it around in my pocket, except inside the house at night, but I easily could, the thing is tiny.

Any larger than the SC64w I wouldn't regularly pocket carry, would go in a backpack, glove compartment, etc. For a while the nitecore MH20 was my main 1x18650 light, it's still great, but couldn't go in pants pocket like the SC64 can. And I have a few Convoys with nice tints, but they are just too large for EDC.

Last edited:

Methos777

Newly Enlightened

Chris

OK I just got the Sony vtc5 batteries. I don't see any difference in the beam output on lumens. Was there a difference and reason why people go for Sony vtc5 over Panasonic?

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK I just got the Sony vtc5 batteries. I don't see any difference in the beam output on lumens. Was there a difference and reason why people go for Sony vtc5 over Panasonic?

What don't you understand about my reply?

Our eyes aren't very good at distinguishing between 3,500LM and 3,100LM.

You're stressing a 10A cell when you use it in a light that pulls 15A-20A of current, on turbo.

Chris

Methos777

Newly Enlightened

What don't you understand about my reply?

Our eyes aren't very good at distinguishing between 3,500LM and 3,100LM.

You're stressing a 10A cell when you use it in a light that pulls 15A-20A of current, on turbo.

Chris

Thanks Chris. But I guess I'm trying to understsnd if the difference is in actual brightness (something I can see) or just in the stats and run times?

ven

Flashaholic
It is very hard to tell the difference by eye Methos, so if you get(just an example here) 3200lm from the GA and 3800lm from the vtc5, your eyes will be hard pushed to see any difference. Where the vtc5 do win out, is they can handle the high amp ask of the light, which basically means the voltage wont sag as much as the GA cell. Also another example, your voltage maybe around 3.8v, with the GA it may not hold 100% output for long due to sag(or 100% of the GA output). The sony vtc5 may hold the 100% output for longer or allow you to get it when the GA cell will not. Those are just rough n ready examples, the vtc5 is a better suited cell as its not being pushed to its limits(and potentially beyond) when used at max. The vtc5 is the better cell for that type of use...............all be it a short one with either cell.

Methos777

Newly Enlightened
It is very hard to tell the difference by eye Methos, so if you get(just an example here) 3200lm from the GA and 3800lm from the vtc5, your eyes will be hard pushed to see any difference. Where the vtc5 do win out, is they can handle the high amp ask of the light, which basically means the voltage wont sag as much as the GA cell. Also another example, your voltage maybe around 3.8v, with the GA it may not hold 100% output for long due to sag(or 100% of the GA output). The sony vtc5 may hold the 100% output for longer or allow you to get it when the GA cell will not. Those are just rough n ready examples, the vtc5 is a better suited cell as its not being pushed to its limits(and potentially beyond) when used at max. The vtc5 is the better cell for that type of use...............all be it a short one with either cell.

Got it. Thanks everyone!! Sorry it took this long to understand things.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Chris. But I guess I'm trying to understsnd if the difference is in actual brightness (something I can see) or just in the stats and run times?

Ven summed it up best. You won't notice an output difference unless people have measured it and published it on the web.

What will happen with the NCR-GA, if you're running turbo much and let's face it, we all want to run turbo in that light, what you will encounter is the rapid degradation of the NCR-GA.

That's just a function of money and if you have it and you don't mind replacing your cells more often, than go for it.

Always match the cell to the current/drain of any particular light (or load, in general).

Chris

ven

Flashaholic
Yes good point Chris, it will wear out the lower rated cell(in this case the GA) faster if used to its max capabilities and even past. So it also makes more financial sense long term(dont know but an example, heavy use of the max may shorten the GA life to 6m or so.................total variable of course, dependent on use here, but lots of 100% use as you do, because you can kind of thing:naughty: ). Where as the sony vtc5 may last 2 or 3 years of hard use. Very hard to give exact figures without many tests.

Now the GA cell is a good one , it is a very good all rounder at 10a(which tends to be ample for most flashlights other than crazy ones:crazy:). So there are many lights which would love a GA in ............Also it still can be used as a back up for the D4 of course. The 350ma level(maybe around 140lm) where you lock out/in and click(undo tail cap a few mm and tighten, click on it defaults to the 350ma level). Tail stood in a power cut will give a long run time of decent room lighting.................just an example.

Not a problem Methos, enjoy your light, they are sure fun:) As for understanding, i am always learning and some things i will never understand! My head frazzles trying to understand colour temp, black body, tint and all things pretty much domed! :confused:haha. Its fun reading up though and trying to pick bits up from the brainiacs on here and the work.charts they do.:)

Methos777

Newly Enlightened
Well I got it guys!!!

It's here. I got the light and yes it's a bright one.
[video]https://digitalcrack.files.wordpress.com/2018/07/img_20180710_162041_6701510050102602118701.jpg?w=1 024[/video]

ven

Flashaholic
Re: Well I got it guys!!!

Congrats, hope enjoy your fun little light. With bat check and quick access to low/high and 350mah(my most use level), its a nifty little light to have around. Question will be.......................will there be more:naughty:

AnthonyKaan

Newly Enlightened
Hey Joel - Trying to get in touch from Earth days! Ping me :)

I have a stainless steel Ultratac K18 NW on my keychain. I rarely *need* anything else for EDC.

It gets crazy bright with a 3.7V 10440 aaa size cell, advertised at 360lm but I think more. It's obviously not good for longer use, but it gets the job done for most EDC cases. UI is a little weird, you have to double click to lock/unlock or it comes on in the pocket and burns your leg. But the ease of one-handed use of a forward clicky keychain light has kinda turned me off twisty 1xaaa's.

Up from that, a Manker E11 NW with a 14500 is advertised as 800 lumens, love this light, tiny and easily pocketable, crazy bright with the LiIon cell and pretty great even with NiMH.

A bit larger but with significant higher runtime of course is my Zebra SC64w, advertised as 1400 lumens of 80+ CRI 4500K neutral white. I don't normally carry it around in my pocket, except inside the house at night, but I easily could, the thing is tiny.

Any larger than the SC64w I wouldn't regularly pocket carry, would go in a backpack, glove compartment, etc. For a while the nitecore MH20 was my main 1x18650 light, it's still great, but couldn't go in pants pocket like the SC64 can. And I have a few Convoys with nice tints, but they are just too large for EDC.

Latest posts