Small Non-Lithium Travel Light for Traveling Light

Boris74

Newly Enlightened
If you had a choice between these two lights and money didn't matter, which one would you choose for my purpose?
- Peak Eiger Brass with HiCRI medium optic, momentary and prometheus clip.
- Muyshondt Maus Titanium.

Boris, the design of olight is not for me...

I'm not big on the design either. The size, run time and super easy UI trumps personal feelings. I just neeed light and looking at it from a purely tool perspective, I use it. It replaced a Fenix LD09 that's a preferred design but it's horrible for run time and it tries to be a mini thrower with a beam that's absolutely unusable for close range and fails miserably at actually throwing. Worst light I ever bought compared to the S1A. If only the electronics and TIR lens could be put in the LD09, that would be perfect.

Streeamlight protac 1L-1AA is a good long runner too. Take primary AA cells with you and pick up some lithium's when you get to the destination if available. Great light that uses two different batteries with no extra extension tube to carry. Way better tint than the S1A.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Hp,
If it were me I'd take an empty HDS and loose cells like the guy above suggested.
Otherwise, what about a single AA Malkoff MDC? Nice neutral tint and an excellent beam shape. Not much bigger than your HDS and with Gene's build quality and warranty, that's what I'd take.
P

Fuchshp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Need Help Now

I'm in trouble now and need your help. I have an offer to buy a Aeon 1st version two mode. I like the design a lot but it does not have a true low. In such a small light Lithium shouldn't matter because noone will care.

The McGizmo Sapphire HiCRI would be another option.

What to do? Help me with these three options:

• Buy the Aeon mk 1.
  • Buy a new McGizmo Saphire HiCRI.
  • Buy a new Muyshondt Maus Titanium.

@Peter. Malkoffs shipping costs are not justified. I don't buy anything there. Athough the quality must be excellent. I had one of his droppins. No complaint at all. Another HDS for travelling, no. Besides the size and CR123 Lithium it is the bezel. It could be confiscated at airline security.

@Archimedes: What would you do if you were in my shoes?

I don't want to end up with a Collection of travel lights after I successfully downsized to only one light (HDS) and am happy like this.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Re: Need Help Now

• Buy the Aeon mk 1.
  • Buy a new McGizmo Saphire HiCRI.
  • Buy a new Muyshondt Maus Titanium.

@Archimedes: What would you do if you were in my shoes?

For reasons I discussed earlier, none of the above would work for me personally as a travel flashlight.

The Aeon is very compact, but I find the switch a bit delicate for travel. I, too, would rather not be limited to lithium primaries.

The Sapphire is a wonderful little light, simply not anywhere near bright enough for my main needs while travelling.

Although I have never had a Maus, I have plenty of N-cell flashlights ... and I have trouble finding replacement cells even at home, let alone while away :shakehead

So, I think I'll just stay with my steel Peak Logan 17500 + Eiger combo, QTC and all :shrug:

Sometimes I take the red light engine for one of those, if I want a separate dedicated low light option.

nbp

Flashaholic
Lithium batteries are permitted on airplanes. I would buy or continue to use the flashlight that suits you best, regardless of battery type. I went through TSA two days ago with a SF Titan Plus, an HDS Rotary, an Okluma Tiny DC, and a BOSS 70, along with extra CR123s, IMR 18350s, and 18650s. They didn't even care to open my carry-on to look at them. Airline restrictions do not prohibit these sorts of lithium batteries from carry-ons.

Fuchshp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, I bought the Muyshondt Aeon Mk 1, will try this and see.

Thank you all for your help. Might come back here and read this thread again if Aeon istn't the right light.

Fuchshp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good Morning

I wanted to give you an update. You recomended me lights and I tried out some of them.

Manker E02 TI. -> I found it ugly and the switch feels cheap. So far I left it in car and will give it to someone eventually.
Manker E01 -> my wife will use it as a travel light instead of her HDS.

Muyshondt Aeon MK 1.
Very, very beautiful light. Good size for travelling, nice knurling. I used it for many days and was happy with it. What could be improved is HiCRI LED and true low mode.

What's next?
I'd prefer to have only one flashlight. I listed my use cases and made a comparison between Aeon Mk1, HDS Rotary and Muyshondt Maus (which I don't have, but read the commentaries from the passaround).

Aeon Mk1: 25 Points
HDS: 39 Points
Maus: 40 Points

Summary: In my 3 daily use cases HDS and Maus are equal. For traveling the HDS got 0 points. All other use cases are not so important.

I'll try to trade the HDS Rotary for a Muyshondt Maus TI.

What do you think?

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
How come the HDS got nil points for travelling?
I'd be concerned about the Maus being Alkaline only, plus LR1 are oresumably more difficult to find than CR123?
The Maus does look fab, though.
P
Edit: Just reread you first post and see that you want alkaline - so "Shut up, Yetman". Something that has been said many, many times in my life.
P

Last edited:

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll try to trade the HDS Rotary for a Muyshondt Maus TI.

What do you think?

Very interested in your opinion on the Maus TI. Only two things holding me back from purchasing this three mode light. One is the large size of my hands. I am concerned that I cannot operate it one handed. The second is I learned that in small lights aluminum dissipates heat much better than titanium. I had a AAA Tain titanium light that got very hot on high after only a minute. I picked up the Aeon MKIII in aluminum to try out before the Maus.

Last edited:

Fuchshp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had the Maus for a few days now and I'm happy with it. It is very good looking! In these few days I've already used it for many hours. Its small size compares to the MBI HF-R. The Quality of the Maus seems superior to the MBI HF-R (I had many issues with those).

I am concerned that I cannot operate it one handed.

One handed operation is not very comfortable but possible. Even with big hands. Some people argue that the knurling is in the wrong place. That's not true. The knurling is exactly in the right place to hold the Maus. So far i never droped it. The Aeon MK III slipped from my hand many times. I had to turn it around to click the button with one hand. The Aeon MK III has not enough knurling in my opinion.

The second is I learned that in small lights aluminum dissipates heat much better than titanium.

Yes, aluminium dissipates heat better. The 60 Lumen Maus doesn't produce much heat in the first place. Titanium looks much better than aluminium and it is very nice to touch.

Fuchshp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am concerned that I cannot operate it one handed.

A few drops of oil on the threads and it's now very easy to operate the Muyshondt Maus one handed.