Small Portable Radio's?

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't mean to change the subject but wanted to say, I love micro sized AM/FM radios and came across two jewels! The Degen DE333 DSP, (same as the Kaito KA200), and the Degen DE797 DSP in red. Jay Allen rated both decent and especially the Degen DE797 DSP in red for FM reception.

I saw where the Degen DE333 was on sale a couple of weeks ago on Amazon for $6.99 with free shipping and went for one. After reading Jay's review about the Degen DE797 in red, I went on Anna's site and bought one for a little over $10.00 including shipping.

As some know, I live rural on a mountainside and sensitivity in a radio is crucial here. With a good, sensitve radio, I can get maybe one AM station and, (on a good night), and maybe 5-6 FM stations.

Well, these tiny radios delivered above my expectations! BOTH delivered the only AM station I can receive here fairly decently and both delivered more FM stations than even some of my Sangean pocket radios can deliver! Jay Allen gave the DE797 high marks for FM reception but both of these deserve high marks.

They are both so tiny it's incredible! The sound they provide won't please most but it's very acceptable to my older ears. They both take 2 AAA batteries which in radios this tiny is admirable and should provide a long time between battery changes.

If one is looking for the tiniest form factor in a quality AM/FM radio, these two, (IMHO), can't be beat.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The Degen DE333 DSP, (same as the Kaito KA200), and the Degen DE797 DSP in red. Jay Allen rated both decent and especially the Degen DE797 DSP in red for FM reception.

both delivered more FM stations than even some of my Sangean pocket radios can deliver!

That's interesting that DSP seems to make such a big difference for you, makes me wonder what a larger DSP unit would do..

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
The reviews on Amazon for this little radio are amazing. There would be some compromises but for the walks this little radio might fit the bill.

Retekess PR12 Portable Radio AM FM Transistor Radio Walkman Radio Pocket DSP Walkman Radio MP3 Player Support TF Card Earphone with Rechargeable Battery
Intesting radio, reminds me of my Anker bluetooth speaker that takes a 32Gb memory card and has no preset tuning just search for stations and scroll through them till you (hopefully) find the one you want. If it held a 64GB memory card I would be interested some as I have more than 32GB of music.

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have to look into that one Gene - thanks.
Don't mean to change the subject but wanted to say, I love micro sized AM/FM radios and came across two jewels! The Degen DE333 DSP, (same as the Kaito KA200), and the Degen DE797 DSP in red. Jay Allen rated both decent and especially the Degen DE797 DSP in red for FM reception.

I saw where the Degen DE333 was on sale a couple of weeks ago on Amazon for $6.99 with free shipping and went for one. After reading Jay's review about the Degen DE797 in red, I went on Anna's site and bought one for a little over $10.00 including shipping.

As some know, I live rural on a mountainside and sensitivity in a radio is crucial here. With a good, sensitve radio, I can get maybe one AM station and, (on a good night), and maybe 5-6 FM stations.

Well, these tiny radios delivered above my expectations! BOTH delivered the only AM station I can receive here fairly decently and both delivered more FM stations than even some of my Sangean pocket radios can deliver! Jay Allen gave the DE797 high marks for FM reception but both of these deserve high marks.

They are both so tiny it's incredible! The sound they provide won't please most but it's very acceptable to my older ears. They both take 2 AAA batteries which in radios this tiny is admirable and should provide a long time between battery changes.

If one is looking for the tiniest form factor in a quality AM/FM radio, these two, (IMHO), can't be beat.

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
ongoing CC Pocket saga...

CC Pocket Radio arrived late yesterday and I immediately put a couple of eneloops in her and fired her up. Just like I remembered, a great radio in hand - design is nice and squarish, and tail stands, side stands like there's no tomorrow - and with it's rubber sides, it balances on slightly curved appliances (like this morning on the coffee pot as I carried it around me making breakfast).

Worked great. Sounded great. Between the DT-400W and DT-800 and CC Pocket - I like the CC Pocket better..., hands down.

Then as I looked closer I saw a large scratch on the display. Long story short, it's on it's way back and had a chat with amazon customer service and they are one day shipping expediting my order, so they said I should get my replacement Tuesday 2-5-2019.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's interesting that DSP seems to make such a big difference for you, makes me wonder what a larger DSP unit would do..

I don't know why it makes such a difference SH but these tiny guys are picking up stations as well as any of my good radios.

fits in an altoids tin.

The reviews on Amazon for this little radio are amazing. There would be some compromises but for the walks this little radio might fit the bill.

Retekess PR12 Portable Radio AM FM Transistor Radio Walkman Radio Pocket DSP Walkman Radio MP3 Player Support TF Card Earphone with Rechargeable Battery

Thank you guys! ANOTHER micro I NEED! 🤑

ongoing CC Pocket saga...

CC Pocket Radio arrived late yesterday and I immediately put a couple of eneloops in her and fired her up. Just like I remembered, a great radio in hand - design is nice and squarish, and tail stands, side stands like there's no tomorrow - and with it's rubber sides, it balances on slightly curved appliances (like this morning on the coffee pot as I carried it around me making breakfast).

Worked great. Sounded great. Between the DT-400W and DT-800 and CC Pocket - I like the CC Pocket better..., hands down.

Then as I looked closer I saw a large scratch on the display. Long story short, it's on it's way back and had a chat with amazon customer service and they are one day shipping expediting my order, so they said I should get my replacement Tuesday 2-5-2019.

Darn it Don, I don't envy your luck with these things. Hope this one is 100%.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm with you guys! 👍🏻

Boy, it won't be too long where they'll have these micros with 64GB mini drive slots, shuffle and sound like a boombox for $5.00! This really is the days of great radios!

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, thanks for that Don. Looks good. The reports of the great sound and even though it's basic, the addition of a MP3 player in something this small is really neat. I've got my Altoids box ready! 😉

Those Degen AM/FM radios I bought are even tinier than this but of course they don't have MP3.

P.S. Actually I stand corrected. This thing is just a tick shorter than the Degens! Amazing!

Last edited:

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I came home from work tonight I was happy to see the Retekess PR12 had arrived. I pulled the radio out of the box and immediately put it on a charger to make sure the battery is completely charged before turning it on which only took a few minutes. As the radio charged, I quickly read through the manual to make sure I understood how to tune the radio and how to change the AM step frequency from 9KHz to 10KHz for the US. There are limited controls on the radio which are multifunctional so reading the manual is a must at first but overall the radio is simple to operate but will take a little time to used to it.

First impressions are good. The first thing you notice when pulling the radio out of the box is just how small the radio is. Overall quality is good in terms of screen and control buttons and rocker. The antenna is a bit flimsy so care will need to be taken when extending and retracting. The sound quality from the speaker is substantially better then what I was expecting from such a small radio and sound quality using heads phones is also good. MP3 sound quality is good but like so many other radios with MP3 capabilities there are few features in terms of tools to find what you want to play. You use the rocker to advance to the next numbered song with no additional information given. FM at first glance seems to be reasonably sensitive but I haven't really directly compared the radio to any others but all of the stations I listen to are present. I would rate AM as just OK but given the size I don't think anyone would have high expectations. I haven't directly compared AM to any other radio but I can already tell you will be limited to local stations. I will try to post a YouTube tomorrow when I get home from work with some comparisons to other radios.

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
^ Great report! I can't wait to get mine. I use my ICR-110 and ICR-100 mp3 players a lot. Lately, I use the 100 for my meditations (a :30 and 1 hour clip) more since it's portable. The PR12 will fit in in that role nicely I'd say. Also performs nicely in a music on the go role. I download a classical song a day and add it to my file. The great sound is a nice bonus!

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
fyi info. I was curious of the country of manufacture for the C.Crane CC Pocket, so I emailed my question to Customer Service at CCrane and they replied

... personal eMail removed ...

Last edited by a moderator:

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now the CC Skywave SSB is calling me lol.

C.Crane CC Skywave SSB Radio RADIOJAYALLEN

Conclusion: The Skywave SSB will definitely appeal to people who love small marvels of technology. Back in its heyday, Sony offered a few high quality, miniature multi-band radios at extremely high prices which sold very well– radios like the popular ICF-SW100S and ICF-SW07. I bought the 'SW07 in 1999 and paid about $400 for it (which was a discounted price) – that would equate to $589.22 as I write this in 2017. Considering that the Skywave SSB offers superior RF performance, more bandwidth options and better audio along with Air Band and Weather Band, along with far better FM reception, the price seems like a bargain. And if you're on a budget and don't need SSB, the original Skywave will continue to be available at lower cost. Either one is a great item to pack in your travel kit. Recommended!

- - -

Last edited:

schuster

Newly Enlightened

Most of the recent CCrane radios have been made in China by Dongguan Redsun, who produces radios under their own Redsun brand.
In the past, Redsun even had equivalent models to the Ccrane offerings ... until now ... so instead the company that produces some sets for Xhdata just went and copied the circuitry wholesale.

Last edited by a moderator: