Small Portable Radio's?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Quick question: Is there any difference between this model and the ICF 18?

It's been confirmed on another forum that the ICF-F10 and ICF-18 are the same radio; same board/speaker/IC, etc. Each was designed with a differing case for their respective regions.

Note that these are the similar-looking ICF models, not the SRF-18, which is an entirely different model.

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
At the aforementioned antique mall:

i5JRdqiLbJHe.jpg

Burgess

Flashaholic
Thank you, Star Halo, for that Zenith photo.

Can't understate how Impressive those Dials looked,
when the radio was on, in a Dark Room !

- also -

The soft, gentle GLOW from the Tubes,
coming from the back of a radio.

We had a Hallicrafters Shortwave Radio when i was a boy.

Listening to that, * in the dark *, while picking up stations Half-a-World away !

Even now, i can still vividly Remember that MAGIC !

:)
_

StarHalo

Flashaholic
i0Fl5w9oXyGJu.jpg

New over at Hammacher Schlemmer: The Blastmaster XL; AM/FM/CD/USB/Bluetooth, 11 speakers, 2,000 watts, line-in jack, two car batteries for 40 hours runtime. $4,000.

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Blastmaster XL sure gives the term "Radio Flyer" a whole new meaning!

And it sure wins the "MORE" contest, even without all the dials and switches!

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Yet another Japan-only model Sony to be jealous of: the ICF-801 - 4" speaker, lighted dial, 3 C cells for 180 hours runtime, headphones and AC in jack, ~$70.

ip5IeVehMwHVK.jpg

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man, this thread is costing me money! :) So far I've purchased the SRF-18 and the ICF-F10 because of it.

I bought the SRF-18 because of it's usage as a external speaker for iPods and whatnot and also for it's size. As you know from my previous posts, it truly has inferior sound. I wish I hadn't bought it as to me, it's worthless as an external speaker much less as a radio and IT ITSELF needs a external speaker just to sound decent! It has good build quality but what was Sony thinking when they put such inferior speakers into it?

The ICF-F10 I purchased because I really love it's retro look and as StarHalo said, it takes D cells. It's sound is better than the SRF-18 but the build quality leaves a whole lot to be desired but for $14.00 it's a good deal.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I bought the SRF-18 because of it's usage as a external speaker for iPods and whatnot and also for it's size. As you know from my previous posts, it truly has inferior sound. I wish I hadn't bought it as to me, it's worthless as an external speaker much less as a radio and IT ITSELF needs a external speaker just to sound decent!

Sell it and use the proceeds for the very high-fidelity Meloson M7, which is about the same price but specifically geared for maximum audio quality.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sell it and use the proceeds for the very high-fidelity Meloson M7, which is about the same price but specifically geared for maximum audio quality.

That looks good SH but I'll pass on Lithium-Ion packs. They're fine for some applications but not in a basic portable AM/FM radio.

I still can't believe that the SRF-18 keeps getting raves about it's sound, (not here). I guess it shows that people nowadays don't know what even decent sound is. I actually like it's build quality and reception but it proves that Sony cuts corners on some things and speakers are one of them.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
That looks good SH but I'll pass on Lithium-Ion packs. They're fine for some applications but not in a basic portable AM/FM radio.

Definitely wouldn't recommend it as your only emergency radio, but as long as you already have that category covered, you may as well ease the criteria a bit in the interests of creating a better casual listening unit; it's somewhat inevitable that if you have a higher-output battery format, it could be used to create a higher-output radio..

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The hits keep comin'; Sangean H202 - fully submersible shower radio, 2 D cells, 10 presets, Bluetooth, backlit display, LED flashlight, auto station tuner, sleep timer (leave it running after your shower/routine, it'll turn itself off,) ~$100.

icdDGbgMn4mxg.jpg

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can find one still in good working condition, I'd recommend the Sony ICF Pro-80. It's a great little radio with a lot of features.

My other portable radio is a Lowe HF-150. Great audio quality, can run off AA batteries...built in the UK...wish they still made them. They are extremely well made.

Both of those models have a BFO so are able to tune in SSB signals, primarily in the amateur radio segments, but also AFRTS / AFN (http://myafn.dodmedia.osd.mil/ShortWave.aspx -- Looks like they may be getting rid of these stations...last year, all were in service...).

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where are you guys getting your ICF-F10 from?

Being in Canada, I'm not finding too many options other than ordering from Hong Kong via eBay (or one place in the US that wants double the cost of the radio for shipping).

Spork

Enlightened
Hello Everyone,

I have been thinking about picking up a shortwave radio with a digital tuner. I haven't quite decided yet since I rarely listen anymore with the internet. I have a sg 622, a cl 100 for weather, and a radio shack scanner that I don't have the model number for at the moment. They all take aa batteries so I keep nimh cells in them. I have a c.crane solar charger just for emergency as well. I'm not sure how reliable a crank radio would be.

I keep the scanner and extra flashlights in the basement so we can tune into weather broadcasts during a storm if we loose power. The cl 100 stays in the bedroom and I have it set to go off for storm and tornado warnings. I don't completely trust same. I've had a radio not go off during a tornado warning before even though I was receiving a solid broadcast. Even if you have most off the alarms disabled check it sometimes to make sure the test signals come through.

Its kind of cool that during a power outage I can kick back with a radio and all the flashlights. With enough batteries and the solar charger I could go for a long time without power. My wife even has some of the trent chargers that would work well to keep our phones charged during a shorter outage.