Small Portable Radio's?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Whenever I sit down and do some real casual radio listening, like with a drink and nothing else on in the background, I always think about how prior to television the whole family would gather around the living room tube radio with its burled wood enclosure and big speaker, and enjoy music programs and shows, how gorgeous it must have sounded being such an expensive family item, such a central and singular source of entertainment. If you're trying to really enjoy your radio to that extent, you're kind of cheating yourself out of the experience if you're just using a modest emergency radio with a dinky speaker..

ibkBfJfiAfwLz8.jpg

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
But by that logic, you could also never own a Li-ion powered flashlight; if all battery-powered equipment is emergency-only, then you cannot own a battery-powered item for entertainment or as a novelty. If that were the case with flashlights, the hobby/market would be very tiny compared to what it is now, since no one would build or participate for enjoyment, it would only exist to ration a need and no further thought would be given.

If you're going to have a hobby, you should enjoy it; don't limit yourself to the old designs if you already own many copies of the old designs, see what's out there, go ahead and buy the unconventional flashlight that's more powerful than you'd ever really need, go ahead and buy the unique radio that trades some practicality for sound quality, you'll always have the old flashlights and radios to fall back on..
I do enjoy the hobby but I'll admit to being different than most here. I'd bet that people hang out here for many different reasons. My being here probably goes a long way towards proving that point. I'm ok with that.

And no, I don't have any Li-on lights. They just don't do anything for me and I'm pretty much here for my own reasons. It's all good. ymmv.

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Re: Li-Ions - I resisted using them for the same reasons you say. Then I started working as a mechanic and using my lights all the time. Guess what? Now I strap a 18650 to my forehead every morning. Why? Because that's what it takes to get the energy density I need. It's the right tool for the job.

That said, I wouldn't want an emergency radio that couldn't run on AAs or CR123s, as I wouldn't be using it every day and therefore being able to use readily available cells is important if I lose/can't charge my NiMHs or Li-Ions.

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk

If a radio did use Li-Ions it would be a good idea to get a spare battery or get one that you can use common ones in. What would be really nice is a radio that could use 18650s that you could just insert them and remove them instead of soldered in.

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
FedEx delivered the 880 today and while I have only had the radio for about 40 minutes to play with it appears Tecsun succeeded in producing a very nice radio. My first impression out of the box is the sound quality on FM and AM is impressive for such a small radio and blows away my Tecsun 398BT. The quality of sound is similar to my Sony ICF-SW77 on AM and FM. I don't think at this point anyway that the Tecsun 880 will outperform the Sony in Shortwave in terms of DXing.

As far as the 18650 goes I still question the decision to go with the 18650 but I agree with Chrisdm in that most people who buy this radio have other radios for backup and are buying this radio for other reasons. I don't believe Tecsun ever meant to position the 880 as just an emergency radio. I already have a few 18650s for my Foursevens Maelstrom MMX so the battery type isn't an issue. I already had one charged up so I'm not using the 18650 that shipped with the radio.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Whenever I sit down and do some real casual radio listening, like with a drink and nothing else on in the background, I always think about how prior to television the whole family would gather around the living room tube radio with its burled wood enclosure and big speaker, and enjoy music programs and shows, how gorgeous it must have sounded being such an expensive family item, such a central and singular source of entertainment. If you're trying to really enjoy your radio to that extent, you're kind of cheating yourself out of the experience if you're just using a modest emergency radio with a dinky speaker..

ibkBfJfiAfwLz8.jpg

The kid in the middle looks kinda like I did when I was a young one.

Sadly those times are over. In every way that counts. It's not just emergency radios. Try finding a quality radio like that one at any price. So much cheap junk out there with the main thing being selling-price as the biggest advantage advertised.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
People are getting familiar to the use of Li-Ions in their every day lives. Their laptops, their cell phones, probably their electric tooth brushes. Just an evolution to go with them in our radios, and other devices.

Bil

Monocrom

Flashaholic
People are getting familiar to the use of Li-Ions in their every day lives. Their laptops, their cell phones, probably their electric tooth brushes. Just an evolution to go with them in our radios, and other devices.

Bil

Sorry Bill, while such devices are becoming more and more common, it's not as though the common man is becoming educated to the dangers that such cells can cause. If they found out just how truly dangerous an 18650 actually is, there'd be nationwide outrage over companies using such potentially dangerous cells in laptops.

It's one thing when one of us knows the potential dangers involved, and still chooses to use lights that run off of such cells. But the general public is still in the dark (no pun intended).

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I appreciate your response, but non the less, being educated or not re Li-ions, people will be buying them. Laptops, electric cars, other devices, are everyday use with Li-lon. Who would be telling these folks that they need to monitor their Li-Ion products. Misuse of the bacic lead acid batteries can be problematic. Let's hope that the built in circuits in commercial Li-Ions for under and over discharge and balance circuits, will prevail reducing liability issues.

Got to say that I am a user of Li-Ion batteries, and I do monitor their use, but I can understand that the general public will never know the care that these batteries require, and hopefully they will be built and deployed with safety measure built in.

Bill

Samy

Enlightened
I'm not sure if this radio has been mentioned, but i've started selling a little emergency radio in my store. It's called the ST3358. It's a dynamo & solar radio and in true emergency radio style it has a built in flashlight and a USB 2.0 port for cell phone charging. It's very basic but the biggest surprise is that although it has a basic analogue dial (so you don't really know which frequency you're on and it's a bit hard to fine tune) it pulls in AM and shortwave signals like a trooper. It puts my C.C Crane & Tecsun 660 to shame. Even with the little external antenna on my Tecsun 660 the ST3358 receives signals, and strongly, that the Tecsun has trouble hearing. Not bad for a $30 radio.

cheers

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I appreciate your response, but non the less, being educated or not re Li-ions, people will be buying them. Laptops, electric cars, other devices, are everyday use with Li-lon. Who would be telling these folks that they need to monitor their Li-Ion products. Misuse of the bacic lead acid batteries can be problematic. Let's hope that the built in circuits in commercial Li-Ions for under and over discharge and balance circuits, will prevail reducing liability issues.

Got to say that I am a user of Li-Ion batteries, and I do monitor their use, but I can understand that the general public will never know the care that these batteries require, and hopefully they will be built and deployed with safety measure built in.

Bill

I hope you're right. But it's been my experience that few companies let something as silly as safety issues get in the way of making money. Especially when they hire experts to figure out which will be cheaper. Either putting in safety features which might be costly, or paying off settlements to plaintiffs (or surviving family members of those who were injured by their product). And the fact that they even bother to conduct studies to figure out which will be cheaper for their bottom-line... They either don't care or honestly don't realize how morally disgusting even conducting such studies truly are in the first place.

Can't speak for others, but I'd never buy an electric car. The technology is a stop-gap measure at best. Folks want to be able to fuel up and go. If they need to go further, they can just fuel up and keep going. Even if they find a way to greatly reduce the tendency of such cars from catching on fire out of the blue, their inability to be instantly refueled or "recharged" is going to keep them from gaining wide-spread acceptance.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
'Crom had a bad experience with an electric car, I on the other hand look forward to browsing CPF in the serene silence of my autonomous electric lorry. It'll probably have a nice radio, too.

i've started selling a little emergency radio in my store. It's called the ST3358.

Those smaller emergency radios were all the rage this holiday season, just be aware that without the means to use regular batteries, if the internal battery on that model goes bad, the entire radio is dead in the water. A good emergency radio has as many power options as possible.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Whoops, sorry Al. My responsibility for letting the mostly OT conversation going too far. That said, I am a bona fide flashaholic, an am interested in all types of batteries. However, lets get back on track.

Bill

Monocrom

Flashaholic
'Crom had a bad experience with an electric car, I on the other hand look forward to browsing CPF in the serene silence of my autonomous electric lorry. It'll probably have a nice radio, too.

Good memory! Yes, it was a few years ago when I posted about the fully electric Toyota that showed a full charge, but then drained down to nothing in literally a minute. Stranding me at work. At a large power plant. Walking back to the main office wasn't the issue. Having to take time from my work schedule of patrols to do so and write a report on the incident... I hate writing reports. Plus, my sports sedan is just so sweet!

To keep things radio related. Yes, I do have to crank up the radio in my car because the growl of my sweet baby is so impressive. That's a little annoying... I suppose. :D

Al

Enlightened
Those smaller emergency radios were all the rage this holiday season, just be aware that without the means to use regular batteries, if the internal battery on that model goes bad, the entire radio is dead in the water. A good emergency radio has as many power options as possible.

Looks like this one has every power option 'cept a fuel cell.
http://www.kaitousa.com/KA332W.htm

5V DC input: micro USB
5V DC output: standard USB
Battery Power: 3X AAA Battery ( Not included)
Rechargeable batteries: 3.7V Li-ion battery 500 MAH
Power Source: Solar and Cranking

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Looks like this one has every power option 'cept a fuel cell.
http://www.kaitousa.com/KA332W.htm

Looks like a nice design, though I wouldn't want a budget Kaito in an emergency situation, especially with an internal Li-ion instead of NiMH (hoping there's some form of under/over-charge protection there, but the entire radio is cheaper than most individual Li-ion batteries..) The established CCrane Solar Observer is only $15 more.

Al

Enlightened
Looks like a nice design, though I wouldn't want a budget Kaito in an emergency situation, especially with an internal Li-ion instead of NiMH (hoping there's some form of under/over-charge protection there, but the entire radio is cheaper than most individual Li-ion batteries..) The established CCrane Solar Observer is only $15 more.

Charge protection is usually a chip embedded in the battery itself ("protected" cells), plus Kaito says:

"This radio is built with the latest Siliconlab chip, the Weather band is clear in most weak signal area. The AM/FM reception is much better than the old chips in the most other brands" ... time to find a review ...?

Besides, although emergency situations do happen, most of us won't be facing one with one of our toy radios. That said, obviously a good idea to have a bugout bag properly maintained and ready.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Just be aware that anything with a Kaito label under ~$30 is drugstore shelf quality; it'll do if you just want a radio you can lose to listen to your local stations.

Al

Enlightened
Just be aware that anything with a Kaito label under ~$30 is drugstore shelf quality; it'll do if you just want a radio you can lose to listen to your local stations.

Well of course! That's what cheap radios are for!