Small Portable Radio's?

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just goofy, I don't know why anyone is still producing HD radios; you can listen to HD stations for free using your phone/tablet/computer with whatever audio output you prefer, or you can pay $200 for a monaural table radio that's AC only. Weird..

I'm not sure if you noticed but Thomas started what is going to be a three part review of dedicated Wi-Fi radios. Same thoughts apply in that why have a dedicated box when your phone or computer can easily supply the content to some nice speakers. I think for some who have been around for some time it's hard to break away from the idea of having a traditional dedicated device. At least with the Sangean HDR-18 it is still a traditional radio and based on Jay's comments a pretty good one at that.

Wi-Fi Radio Primer Part 1: Radio station aggregators and alternatives

PhotoJim

Newly Enlightened
Just goofy, I don't know why anyone is still producing HD radios; you can listen to HD stations for free using your phone/tablet/computer with whatever audio output you prefer, or you can pay $200 for a monaural table radio that's AC only. Weird..

I agree about monaural radios, but there are lots of reasons to listen to HD radio over the air instead of over the Internet. You might prefer to save the bandwidth, find yourself in places with poor Internet connectivity, or wish to listen to the radio during Internet or power failures. You might also prefer a solid audio stream rather than an Internet feed that could suffer from dropouts.

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
Based on Universal Radio's website we are about a month out before the Sangean HDR-16 becomes available. Right now Universal radio has the radio selling for about $100 on preorder which is only about $20 higher than the Sangean PR-D15 which looks somewhat similar. Could the HDR-16 be a replacement for the PR-15? Personally I would pay the $20 difference to get HD if I was considering the PR-D15.

91A0jxKqlPL._SL1500__zps8uf68nzv.jpg

* Digital HD Radio™ reception
* 10 Presets for AM, 10 Presets for FM
* Auxiliary Input for playing iPod™ or MP3 player (3.5 mm stereo).
* Headphone Output Jack (3.5 mm stereo).
* Line Output
* Easy to use controls.
* Telescopic FM whip antenna and AM ferrite antenna.
* Frequency range: AM:* 520 - 1710 kHz, FM:* 87.5 - 108 MHz
* Information display for: Channel Frequency, Call Sign, Radio Text, Audio Mode, Service Mode, Signal Quality and Clock Time.
* Low battery LED
* Real time clock with dual Alarm and Sleep function.
* Auto ensemble seek
* Support for emergency alerts.
The HDR-16 operates from four C cells or via the supplied AC adapter.

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic

That's a very promising model; it looks like about $100 of radio, and I think that's the first HD radio I've seen that will run on batteries. That's the kind of radio that should have been around when HD was first introduced, not the parade of $200+ table radios and home theater-looking shelf units..

Edit: Went looking for other battery-powered HD Radio units and came across this $50 Sparc model; mono speaker but it's got a passive radiator, AM/FM, HD FM/HD AM, and even CQUAM Stereo AM, all powered by 3xAA, which the HD circuitry and backlit display probably burn through in a few hours, still very impressive..

bL9KgnY.jpg

Last edited:

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
Edit: Went looking for other battery-powered HD Radio units and came across this $50 Sparc model; mono speaker but it's got a passive radiator, AM/FM, HD FM/HD AM, and even CQUAM Stereo AM, all powered by 3xAA, which the HD circuitry and backlit display probably burn through in a few hours, still very impressive..

bL9KgnY.jpg

I read a few reviews on Amazon and you're right about the SPARC radio eating batteries, one reviewer said that the radio eats batteries like a slot machine eats quarters. But a lot of people like the radio and generally has high marks on Amazon.

I was curious as to what one might expect from the Sangean HDR–16 so I reread Jay's review of the Sangean PR–D15 thinking that they will both very similar and Jay's only real criticism of the PR–D15 is the overall sound quality. Jay mentions in his post that the PR-D15 "is lacking in both bass*and treble…put it next to a wide range radio and the difference will jump out at you" I would hope anyway that Sangean would take some steps to lift the bar some with the sound quality given that it is a HD radio. I guess we will have to wait for some reviews to know if Sangean raises the bar.

If I could wave a magic wand and create my own HD radio I would base it off the C Crane 2E, the sound quality of a 2E is already hard to beat and in my opinion would be the perfect size for HD radio but given the distance limitations of HD I'm not sure if I could pick up any HD stations based on where I live. I don't think I would replace my 2E just for HD but it would've been nice if the HD capabilities were already included.

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
For ultimate casual listening, it's always going to come down to a modular system where you piece together the speaker and receiver, and that always ends up at a computer/smartphone with a Bluetooth speaker..

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
with a Bluetooth speaker..

The other day while I was out and about I had the opportunity to listening to the UE Megaboom and was blown away by the amazing sound a single speaker can put out. Even though it's one speaker in reality there are two drivers and two passive radiators inside. I can only imagine how it would sound if you paired two together. I have been impressed with the original UE Booms but I can honestly say the Megaboom is a step up but at almost $300 a copy it would be hard to justify. But if I didn't have a pair of the original UE Booms the Megaboom would be close to the top of my list if not the top. I haven't really checked out Bluetooth speakers lately so maybe there's something better but when it comes to portability it would be hard to imagine anything beating the Megaboom.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
the UE Megaboom and was blown away by the amazing sound a single speaker can put out.

Yeah, my Sony BTX500 is in the same league, now imagine that with the TuneIn and IHeartRadio apps on an iPhone; there's really no comparison by any criteria to any unit or system that existed prior to a few years ago, it's an entirely different level of casual listening. My bluetooth speaker has become something of a beloved household fixture, you should give that Megaboom a try..

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll take my Bose mini soundlink over at least one of those speakers. Had the Megaboom and took it back two days after purchase; I was looking to "upgrade" from the Bose and within minutes, knew that I had made a mistake.

Couple let that with Space Station Soma on TuneIn and it's tough to be beaten...

StarHalo

Flashaholic
NAPA Auto Parts getting into other things ...

www.napaonline.com/napa/en/promotions/bluetooth-speaker

Anyone bite yet?

Not sure I'd get a bluetooth speaker from the same isle as the pine scented air fresheners, but to be fair, smaller units like that are great for listening while shaving; nice full range and plenty of volume to hear over running water. If you're wanting a small speaker, do take note of some of Amazon's prices in that segment, there are quite a few surprises..

Al

Enlightened
Not sure I'd get a bluetooth speaker from the same isle as the pine scented air fresheners, but to be fair, smaller units like that are great for listening while shaving; nice full range and plenty of volume to hear over running water. If you're wanting a small speaker, do take note of some of Amazon's prices in that segment, there are quite a few surprises..

Well, yeah, OK, but has anyone got one? Interesting description from NAPA:

Throw this speaker into the pool and watch it float as it plays your music!
A perfect compliment for the roadster, this advanced technology waterproof Bluetooth speaker is a must-pack. Its rugged exterior makes it perfect for playing music on the road and answering calls.
IPX6 waterproof rugged silicone case with hook feature and built-in rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery.
Built-in microphone / speakerphone for hands-free talking. 2X high performance speakers with 2X high bass radiators. Built-in track / volume controls. Up to 33' operational range. Auto streaming feature.

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, my Sony BTX500 is in the same league, now imagine that with the TuneIn and IHeartRadio apps on an iPhone; there's really no comparison by any criteria to any unit or system that existed prior to a few years ago, it's an entirely different level of casual listening. My bluetooth speaker has become something of a beloved household fixture, you should give that Megaboom a try..

I remember when you bought the Sony BTX500 and at the time I read some really great reviews. In my opinion anyway the Sony BTX500 has to be one of the best looking Bluetooth speakers as well.

I'll take my Bose mini soundlink over at least one of those speakers. Had the Megaboom and took it back two days after purchase; I was looking to "upgrade" from the Bose and within minutes, knew that I had made a mistake.

How would you compare the sound quality between the two and did you download the Megaboom App to your phone so you could adjust the sound quality?

Well, yeah, OK, but has anyone got one?

I don't have one but I did find some more info about the speaker.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Al, that speaker is sold under the Sylvania name on Amazon and has rosy reviews, comes in a few different colors. You can't go wrong for $25, there's no such thing as an un-useful Bluetooth speaker..

Leb, the game has changed since I got that speaker though, the $300 class isn't the ceiling anymore; I'm not sure I'd go $600 for a B&W unit, but the option is now there..

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thomas from SWLing has completed his three-part review of Wi-Fi radios, the two products Thomas and his wife like the most are the Amazon Echo and the Sangean WFR-28. Both look pretty cool but what caught my eyes the most is the Amazon Echo. The Echo looks like a great product with lots of features but I'm curious if anyone on the CPF is actually using the Echo. If so what are your thoughts and do you find it really useful?

Wi-Fi Radio Primer Part 1: Radio station aggregators and alternatives

Wi-Fi Radio Primer Part 2: Review of the CC WiFi and Sangean WFR-28

Wi-Fi Radio Primer Part 3: Review of the Grace Digital Mondo and Amazon Echo

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
Am I reading the dimensions correctly that it's ~8"x5"? That's big for a portable speaker, should have a nearly room-filling sound..

I measure my speaker 7 1/8 X 3
It does have room filling sound.
I was afraid it would sound like a tomato can but was pleasantly surprised.

recDNA

Flashaholic
For ultimate casual listening, it's always going to come down to a modular system where you piece together the speaker and receiver, and that always ends up at a computer/smartphone with a Bluetooth speaker..
I've never heard a Bluetooth setup that sounds as good as those old boom boxes let alone a bose table radio.