Smallest 1 x AAA clicky?

recDNA

Flashaholic
Somebody needs to make a clicky body for an Eiger....

I might have even been satisfied with the forward clickie it has but then you have no keychain loop.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been wondering what I would do when my (staggeringly-reliable BTW) LD01 / Microstream combo finally goes.
The combination of substantial output and a reliable forward-clicky switch has made this light my pocket favorite for years now.
Same here. The switch is the most likely thing to go, and it won't last forever on my Streamix (XP-E LD01/Stylus Pro on 2 X Eneloop) either. Probably the best thing to do is put up a WTB for the older models, and stock up on a couple as the new ones are one piece body and head.

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably too exotic for me but if you get one let us know how you like it

Beamed from my Galaxy Note 3
Picked mine up from work today. It's tiny, slim. No box or packaging is included but it was wrapped well and secure in bubble wrap. It came with a battery, 3 split rings, spare o-ring, and battery charging adapter. Oddly, there was not an o-ring installed on the tail-end so that is where the spare went.

The switch is a forward clicky. Even with big fingers it is easy to actuate the momentary feature by pressing flat against the bottom side. Where one might have a problem is clicking on for continuous light. In this case, the use of a fingertip or nail will be easier. Modes are high, low, and strobe. Personally, would have preferred either a high, low or high, med, low mode set. Reset time between modes is at 2 seconds.

I opted for neutral white. Tint on mine is very nice as is the floody beam profile. Output on high: ~40-45 lumens, on low: ~10 lumens.

Would I carry it on my keychain? Only if it was constructed out of aluminum or titanium. With the stainless steel body that the S3 sports it is heavier than I would like next to my other keys. However, I will carry it loose in the pocket to see how it holds up.

Compared next to an iTP A3:
IMAG1121_zpsbwzgbd9h.jpg

recDNA

Flashaholic
Does it have an eyelet for a key ring? I love the looks of it. How about a little white wall shot?

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
A couple of additional pictures (please keep in mind that the the photo does not properly represent the actual tint beamshot,. And I also suck at beamshots). My natural lighting went once the sun went down, so the 1st photo appears warmer due to my artificial lighting. Beamshot was taken approx. 1ft from wall.

IMAG1126_zpscgnd2yoe.jpg

IMG_7374_zps64b568ee.jpg

recDNA

Flashaholic
A couple of additional pictures (please keep in mind that the the photo does not properly represent the actual tint beamshot,. And I also suck at beamshots). My natural lighting went once the sun went down, so the 1st photo appears warmer due to my artificial lighting. Beamshot was taken approx. 1ft from wall.

IMAG1126_zpscgnd2yoe.jpg

IMG_7374_zps64b568ee.jpg

Looks nice.

Impulses

Newly Enlightened
Interesting size comparison... Seems it takes going down to AAAA to get a clicky in the same size domain as some of the twisties.

I've actually been thinking of getting an S2. I figure I already have the i3s if I want something small, but I leave the clip and keychain on it as sometimes I'll attach it to my car keys and/or Leatherman Squirt (and/or hat when working)... So the S2 could be a good complement when I just want something sleeker that rides better in dress pants or a shirt pocket, with some added runtime/lumens as a bonus.

The spec pages for the S1/2/3 are pretty vague and make no mention of runtime, CC/PWM, etc tho; and I haven't seen recent reviews of the latest versions or the 2xAAA S2. It does look a lot sleeker than something like a Preon (cheaper too), but a few of the comments about their reliability on this thread don't inspire much confidence. I guess for around $20 plus shipping it's not too big a risk tho.

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did a quick runtime test on the S3 with the provided NiMH battery.

High: ~27 minutes before dimming
Low: ~2 hours before dimming

It does use PWM. Faster rate I believe on high, and slower rate on low. Usually I'm sensitive to it but could not detect it alone by eye. While some lights that utilize PWM "strobe" when the battery can no longer sustain the required voltage, his one did not as it dimmed.

JeffInChi

Enlightened
I've been reading some threads here today about some really nice looking small AA and AAA twisties. The thing is I really, really hate twisties but I would love a clicky small enough for my keyring.

I'm not looking for a mod like the famous pd1/leef combo. I don't want to spend that much money.

Is there such a thing as a AAA clicky small enough for keyring use?

If not what is the smallest cr123 clicky? At one time I had a p1d on my keyring so I know we're not talking tiny here but I do want something smaller than a p1d. (Again no mods please).

Thanks!

Well RecDNA, Its been over TWO years since you started this thread. Inquiring minds want to know if you found a light meeting your above criteria.

if not, have you compromised and gotten something else?

im in the same boat as you. After 3 years of reliable service, my LD01 came unscrewed and fell off. It did that twice a year. However, this time I can't find the other half lol.

I just ordered a thrunite Ti, but I'm also interested in a clicky too. Is there a small, aaa light that takes 10440 batteries, AND has a keychain hole AND is a clicky AND that has an output of over 80 lumens?

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
could the inova Xs get close ? can it be modded to a real clicky ?

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just noticed that CNQ has released a new DQG 1xAAA with a tail switch. It lists the tail as "Tail1288 Machinary Switch", which I'm hoping means it is a mechanical switch. Uses a reflector instead of TIR, no Li-ion support. At 70mm x13.8mm it is pretty small so it's smaller than the E01 currently on my keyring and only 12.5mm longer than the DQG AAA IV twisty.

Could this be the one? I'm not an early adopter even at CNQ prices so someone else will have to be the guinea pig.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nah , not without an xpg2 nor r2 nor li ion support

It's got a XP-G2 R5. What's an r2? d2? I for one don't care for the li-ion support but I imagine version 2 of the light will probably have li-ion support, given that the DQG IV AAA has it now. Seems to be the way it goes

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new dqg got li-ion support, but its controlled with slow pwm. I choose not to use il-ions in the dqg.