• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

So can you place a pre-paid order for Elzetta AVS Bravo?

BeastFlashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beastman, Please disregard the suggestion on the 18650 Keepower 18650 3500mah...it's too fat to go into the bored out Bravo. Just a heads up!

Ok thanks, I don't need to buy any so hopefully mine will be ok. The only 18650 that I remember gave me a problem because it was either too fat or too long (can't remember) was a Zebralight battery.

Last edited:

BeastFlashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Elzetta conversion story, it took a day...well moderators deleted my earlier post because I broke a rule, anyway, I was explaining that I was going to sell the AVS Bravo because I'm so addicted to buying lights for pure power and my initial reaction was disappointment because of the very 'Regular' lumen output ugh! It's not like I didn't know that it would be humble lumens, I guess it was simply buyer's remorse.

But I have changed my mind!! It took a day of thinking about the fact that this light is simply in a different niche than what I'm used to, an indestructible tank niche. Now I'm thinking that it will be nice to laugh if I drop my light on the concrete instead of cringing which is what I'm used to. At first I thought I would cringe BECAUSE this Bravo is expensive but the more I feel it the more I realize that no the purpose is to treat it like an off road Range Rover not treat it like a Cadillac. I already have the 'Power' niche covered multiple times over, the TANK niche is beginning to grow on me!

The only protected 18650s I own are AW's 2200, 3100, and 3400 mAh cells. They all fit comfortably in my three bored bodies.

Do you go with the flat tops? I'm thinking they would press against the AVS Head spring more flush?? Also, IMRs or no IMRs with the AVS Bravo? Thanks.

...I just was now reading up on AWs I never knew how good they were, now I definitely want to grab some. However, I'm also reading that you have to watch out where you get them because fakes are common, where do you buy yours at Grizz?

Last edited:

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is no need to run IMRs in Elzettas. They are designed to use primary CR123s, which have very moderate amperage capability.

The AW 3400 protected and AW 3000 mAh hybrid IMR cells I use are flat tops. I'd say very few high capacity 18650s are button tops, since that will likely cause them to be too long.

I probably bought almost all of them from Oveready, adding a few to each order. AW likely has a sales thread here, and will sell to you directly if Oveready's out of stock.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
To absolutely love Elzetta AVS you need a flood lens. Same was to me, but I was wise enough to order flood one as well. Tested the standard one... Hmmm... But when I replaced it with a flood lens -- instant love :) For throw I carry a Lumintop TD16 XP-L HI or an Eagletac TX30C2, but right hand pocket instant flood is B343!

BTW, I use a pair of AW IMR16350 for 900lm output and carry 4 generic CR123A as a backup. And one more moment: Bravo AVS is absolutely nice. If you sell it you will regret the rest of your life :D

Last edited:

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is no need to run IMRs in Elzettas. They are designed to use primary CR123s, which have very moderate amperage capability.

The AW 3400 protected and AW 3000 mAh hybrid IMR cells I use are flat tops. I'd say very few high capacity 18650s are button tops, since that will likely cause them to be too long.

I probably bought almost all of them from Oveready, adding a few to each order. AW likely has a sales thread here, and will sell to you directly if Oveready's out of stock.

Yes, Elzetta does not lie: with 2x16350 it consumes less than 1.5A to produce 900 lm. Here you may see exact numbers.

Last edited:

BeastFlashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
The AW 3400 protected and AW 3000 mAh hybrid IMR cells I use are flat tops.

I probably bought almost all of them from Oveready

Ok thanks I will go with flat top and will buy from Oveready.

Ok IMRs are unnecessary but are they dangerous at all for ruining the light, or are IMRs just gonna give you lower capacity? Just wondering because Oveready only has 18350s in IMR

I'd say very few high capacity 18650s are button tops, since that will likely cause them to be too long.

Is the length of 2 button top 18350s an issue in the Bravo? 65mm for the AW 18650 and 35mm for each 18350 buttons, that seems significantly longer. How about going with 1 18350 flat top and 1 18350 button top? Because you'll need at least one button in the middle to make contact with the 2nd battery, but the spring at the head is fine with flat top (save a little length). Anyway, IF 2x18350s would be causing me to really stuff them in tightly and strain the springs I'd rather not even use them at all because it would bother me to put extra strain on the springs and flatten them.

BTW, I use a pair of AW IMR16350 for 900lm output and carry 4 generic CR123A as a backup.

Yes, Elzetta does not lie: with 2x16350 it consumes less than 1.5A to produce 900 lm.

Did you mean to type 18350 instead of 16350? The AVS Bravo page at Oveready mentions outputs for 1x18650, 2x123, and 2x18350, but it does not mention 16350 as an option.

http://www.oveready.com/elzetta-flashlights/custom-elzetta-avs-bravo-18650-900l/prod_374.html

Last edited:

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok IMRs are unnecessary but are they dangerous at all for ruining the light, or are IMRs just gonna give you lower capacity? Just wondering because Oveready only has 18350s in IMR

Using IMRs would only have a potential for danger if you use two of them and run the light until its output is severely dimmed....at which point the cells would be drained to well below 2.5 volts. It's possible that the cells could vent with flame, which is bad for the light, and the user. AW's hybrid IMR 3000 mAh 18650 cell wouldn't be much of a decrease in capacity, but there is no benefit from an output perspective in an AVS Bravo.

Is the length of 2 button top 18350s an issue in the Bravo? 65mm for the AW 18650 and 35mm for each 18350 buttons, that seems significantly longer. How about going with 1 18350 flat top and 1 18350 button top? Because you'll need at least one button in the middle to make contact with the 2nd battery, but the spring at the head is fine with flat top (save a little length). Anyway, IF 2x18350s would be causing me to really stuff them in tightly and strain the springs I'd rather not even use them at all because it would bother me to put extra strain on the springs and flatten them.

Two AW IMR 18350s are very slightly longer than one AW protected 3400 mAh 18650, but it'll work fine. It will take a bit more effort to fully tighten the tailcap, due to needing to fully compress the springs, but it's not excessive. This extra spring pressure may also slightly cave in the negative battery contacts, but it shouldn't have any negative side effects. I doubt two protected 18350s would work. I don't own any to test. One hybrid IMR 3000 mAh 18650, with the same length as an NCR18650B, is obviously shorter than two 18350s, and a bit shorter than a protected 18650, but it'll also work fine...because of the dual spring setup.

Mixing different cells in series is something to be completely avoided., so I wouldn't go the button top/flat top route.

BeastFlashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok thanks a lot on both posts, can't believe you actually know the guy, Jason, looks like I lucked out because I just guessed and bought based off of a Google search, I wonder if the counterfeit epidemic is over exaggerated.

BeastFlashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never dealt with Elzetta before, I thought about ordering this but it's out of stock...

http://www.oveready.com/elzetta-flashlights/custom-elzetta-avs-bravo-18650-900l/prod_374.html

So...is this an item that I can simply order, or is this one of those products where it is a pipe dream to ever get one, and all you ever see is 'OUT OF STOCK'??

LOL now Oveready has the complete bored AVS Elzetta's back in stock, talk about Murphy's Law, so I spent an extra $60 piecing it together because the whole package wasn't in stock lol