So what are your other hobbies ?

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Other expensive hobbies

I have a lot of hobbies that could get expensive, fast, but my lack of funds usually keeps them under control.

High-end home hi-fi (This one got out of hand, bad. My home stereo is worth more than my car)
Metalworking machines and restoration
Outdoor power equipment
Air rifle/pistol shooting
Knives
Antique tube radio and communication gear
Computers

Valolammas

Enlightened

Guitars and amps. They are kinda like lights in that you'll want one of every type (humbucking, single coil, high output, traditional etc.), but much more expensive. I don't have much time to play anymore, so I've sold most of mine. Just kept the two nicest ones I had (and one small amp).

steed77

Newly Enlightened

You all are a bunch of nuts. :poke:

I too am in the same ride..here are some of mine.
G/F
Cars/truck... tons of modifications. Auto-x and Drag race. Currently 3 cars on the track last yr.
Tools
Guns
Photo DSLR.. Yes the L is for Light wallet
Knifes
audiophile (home and car)
Dog.. spoiled pet
Home Improvement

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast

They all add up.

My interests while being $$ for initial purchases, I'm not on a treadmill of upgrades/updates. Hobby-wise, I've found it enjoyable to watch others spend money and daydream. ;) Maintaining an older house...ugh, that uses lots of $$. :(

Last edited:

sawlight

Enlightened

Marriage!!!! Tools, Mac and Snap-on HURT, welders, guns, and don't laugh, it's addictive, chainsaws!!!

Bullzaye

Newly Enlightened

In no particular order:
Guns & related accessories (2 large safes...full)
Knives
Flashlights
Motorcycles
High-end watches

Tim

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast

That one was a surprise. I actually have no idea what things in that hobby cost. Could you give us some rough numbers?

I could but my wife would kill me.........:p

Lets just say that for the serious collector some O gauge vintage pieces can fetch 5-6 figures, for those like me, easily several times the cost of a rare Ti light in my complete radio controlled 2 track setup.:crazy:

jtr1962

Flashaholic

That one was a surprise. I actually have no idea what things in that hobby cost. Could you give us some rough numbers?
Let's put it this way-it's not too difficult to have even a not so elaborate layout set you back five figures. Locomotives retail at anywhere upwards of $40, often over $100. Most types of rolling stock are at least $10. Structures can be anywhere from a few dollars for simple stuff to hundreds for more elaborate things like large bridges or grain silos or factory complexs. Add to all that track (at least $1 a foot, turnouts are much more), wiring, power packs, lighting, scenery, benchwork, etc. There's a good reason I never built a layout besides lack of space and lack of time. While you can save big time by scratchbuilding a lot of things yourself, especially structures, and buying on eBay, you're still talking well into the four figures to do anything worthwhile. The proverbial circle of track gets boring. BTW, these are all HO scale prices. O scale and larger is much more expensive (and requires a lot more space).

Thank goodness for virtual railroading. Besides being way cheaper (rolling stock can be downloaded usually for free), you can run through fresh scenery for miles. You couldn't do that on any HO layout of reasonable size, except maybe one built inside one of those particle accelerators (i.e. the ones with tunnels a few miles in diameter). Still, nothing beats the thrill of seeing actual models running through a scene in miniature. Perhaps one day I may actually be able to build something once I can afford to buy a basement (oops, I mean a basement that comes with a house ;) ).

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast

The usual,

guns
knives
stereos (A/V now)
photography
computers
motorcycles

I keep the guns, knives, and flashlights to mainly what I use rather than collecting. Thank god for digital cameras. I think computers were probably the biggest hit over the years.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast

In no specific order:

Computers, although I can't afford to swap components as often as I'd like

Motorbikes

RC helicopters, although budget and patience constraints force me to only ever buy the tiny indoor models

Hardware/gadget tinkering and hacking

Old yet still useful technology (green-screen PDAs nobody's heard of in the past decade yes, tube radios no)

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast

Noting and sampling new restaurants to increase review counts on Yelp is another expensive hobby of mine.