xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 5600k C01 with magnet & trit.

Sofirn-C01-01.jpg

Sofirn-C01-02.jpg

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
Source for both?
I bought the 3mm x 5mm magnets from huanshop2015 on eBay (99.2% feedback). They're in China so it takes a couple weeks, but packing was very good. $1.78 for 20. The tritium vial I bought off Banggood. But MixGlo is an even better source, in terms of packing--absolutely 1st rate.

I used super glue to adhere the magnet. It works really well. Also, if you have any unsightly excess, a little acetone will take it off. Note that in this case, you can see the magnet sits slightly below the surface. It still holds on very strong, though. If you want it flush, you may want to try a small drop of glue first and let it cure, then add more glue and push in the magnet. The tritium vial was secured with NOA61 Norland optical adhesive. I don't think you can buy that from Banggood. I got it from MixGlo. 1cc is all you need, for at least a dozen applications. NOA61 dries absolutely perfectly clear and won't cloud up over time. Super glue may work fine at first, but I have seen cases of it becoming a bit opaque over time.

jon_slider said:
Congrats! Thanks for the great visuals
You're welcome, and thanks.

Last edited:

Warmcopper123

Newly Enlightened
I really don't think the Arcs of yesterday were made any better than these. I think it had more to do with increased costs due the fact they were made in the USA and also marketing hype/reputation and they filled a niche at the time. I am sure the electronics came from the same places and the Sofrin is potted and that's what really makes them so durable/tough. the alum. bodies are virtually identical in thickness and strength .

Peak lights are also very nice lights. I love them but hate the ramping mechanism . very well made and overall probably better fit and finish . and lots of options which is very cool. but for bang for the buck you cant beat the Sofrin

Last edited:

nightshade

Enlightened
Just like the staff at the VA told me. That was then, this is now, Gramps. :) I gotta be true to my school, I gotta represent. No one, and I mean nobody, keeps the skinbag intact in the end. The only constant is decay, etc.
Still prefer the original Arc driver and light. It's a completely different feel in the hand . Thanks to some really cool, old school members here I made a Yuji modded Arc. Definitely not a mod for people who are not retired or have any commitments at all :grin2::grin2:
Salvaging the original USA made pcb took hours of picking at potting material under a USB microscope. It's been repotted and a 5600k was added. If Gransee evers stops by, thanks for the memories, bro.
11m46wy.jpg

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have never seen an Arc AAA in real life, but from the descriptions I have read from the $40 USD 2006 versions they seem to be kind of like a Fenix E01. A labor of love indeed, and perhaps a spendy one to make the Arc AAA all that one hoped it could be. It is what we do in our quests in this illuminating hobby.

All things considered, at the price they were sold ($6-8 ea USD), the Sofirn C01 is simply amazing value and I am glad I have a handful of them.

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
I must have missed it. Thanks.
I found that super glue worked like a charm. It doesn't take a lot of mass to work and excess will seep out, so the magnet will lay down pretty snug, maybe 0.25 mm below the surface. There isn't a 4mm x 5mm magnet size sold. So I'd put a very small amount of glue in first, let it harden, then add more and insert the magnet. I wouldn't try layering magnets as it would probably stick out too far. Or, use something thicker like Gorilla glue and be careful not to press it too far down.

It's just a minor nitpick. The magnet as I have it actually works. And I'm not sure how much better it would be if the magnet was perfectly flush to the surface (might be just a nominal improvement). Part of it may also be due to owning lights like Olight S1, S10 and S15 lights that have really powerful magnets in the tail caps, and these little magnets just can't compete.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm curious if there's a magnet out there thst would fit in the tritium slot for those who want more power.

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm curious if there's a magnet out there thst would fit in the tritium slot for those who want more power.
I've never seen a magnet in that size and shape. You'd be best off using a carbide drill bit and excavate a wider channel in the aluminum to fit a rectangular magnet.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
To everyone who has enjoyed these humble yet very satisfying (in my opinion) little lights:

Djozz is trying to organize a small production run of a host version of the C01. This would be exactly the same as the original C01, but with no LED or potting. You solder in an LED of your choosing, trim the excess leg length, and the light will drive it at 25mA.

So if you have some Yuji's left over from one of the emitter group buys and want another C01, this would be the opportunity.

Or if you want a red light AAA twisty, you could do that instead.

Or green, blue, aqua/cyan, amber, or yellow, for that matter. In fact, there are even 5mm LED's with a built in chip that cycles them automatically through red, green, and blue.

However, Sofirn can only cover their cost of doing this if enough people are interested.

What does everyone think?

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope that's munching on popcorn while watching with interest? If so, feel free to PM me and I can share what info I know.