Spyderco 'Salt' series folding knives

nbp

Flashaholic
So many words, no pics.

Pacific Salt that gets no mercy. I like that you can see the part of the handle that protrudes from my pocket as the yellow has faded from being in the sunlight. Haha.

IMG_0350_zpswfqiawi6.jpg

IMG_0351_zpsm19gbuka.jpg

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like that you can see the part of the handle that protrudes from my pocket as the yellow has faded from being in the sunlight. Haha.

Yeah! Mine too has the faded yellow where it is exposed above a pocket!. Yours does have a more 'used' look to the scales. What are you subjecting it to. What work are you doing near water?

nbp

Flashaholic
Haha. The dyes must not hold up too well to UV. Oh well, it still cuts! I've worn most of the coating off the clip too.

I own a window cleaning business, and I do pressure washing and some other exterior cleaning/maintenance. So my gear is always getting wet whether from cleaning solutions, from rain and snow, or in the summer from being in a sweaty pocket. Plus they get banged against ladders and such. Cheap knives just rust and I don't want to run the risk of ruining or losing my Sebenzas. This thing has held up over a couple of years! My Autonomy should be here Saturday. Can't wait to run it through the paces!

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
\

Here are my green PE Delica & PE Salt.

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Performance Sailing is selling a smaller Atlantic Salt (C118?) for $76. I do not really know if that is a great price, but didn't know that knife even existed. If a person needs to flatten boxes to recycle or open plastic clamshell packages, the serrated sheepsfoot blade is hard to beat (maybe a hawksbill) and the blade profile looks less aggressive to many (law enforcement). It is also superior for cutting seat belts off an auto accident victim. The point can in fact be quite piercing, and less likely to slide off in use. Yeah, I know folks like the look of the more common blade profiles, and please excuse the tangential comment.

flashtastic

Newly Enlightened
I'm a big fan of the salt series as well. My first was a Ladybug 3 PE. Somehow it seems less sturdy now that I have a Manbug. In reality, it is not flimsy but I wish Sal would bring the Manbug into the Salt family. Then I got an SE and a PE Dragonfly 2. Serrated Edges and the Plain Edges both have their utility. I really don't see it as an either / or. Growing up I had the cheaper stainless steel knives. Even now I'm surprised at how many well-known knife makers cheap out on stainless steel quality. They always corroded and lost their edges too quickly. I live in the south where it is hot and sweat is a constant enemy. About 5 years ago moved down near the coast of the Atlantic. All of our creeks are pretty much brackish here. And you can often taste the salt in the air on a breezy day. The H1 steel is the first I've owned that didn't rust just sitting in my pocket. Now I EDC my Dragonfly SE every day. . . Sitting right next to my favorite new EDC light, the Olight S1 Baton. I know I've said it in a couple of other threads but that TIR lens creates a buttery smooth flood, almost like my PE Dragonfly.

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
The Autonomy arrived over the weekend. It's not technically part of the Salt series, but given the H1, I think it fits. This knife is sweet, a beast! Designed for the Coast Guard, (their version is slightly different than this: orange scales, no clip, no safety, satin blade) it has DLC coated H1 serrated sheepsfoot blade, G10 scales, wire clip, safety (it's a full automatic), large deployment button, rustproof black coated hardware, open design and drain holes in the spring cavity. It's meant to be used in salt water, in cold wet terrible conditions, and still afford great grip, zero corrosion, and easy use. It's freakin' solid!!

IMG_2925_zpsghieq4ds.jpg

IMG_2926_zpsjtpowdba.jpg

IMG_2922_zpsxxbmazvs.jpg

IMG_2923_zpsbydegq1q.jpg

IMG_2924_zpsrwkkewel.jpg

IMG_2921_zpsloh0brrz.jpg

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Autonomy arrived over the weekend. It's not technically part of the Salt series, but given the H1, I think it fits. This knife is sweet, a beast! Designed for the Coast Guard, (their version is slightly different than this: orange scales, no clip, no safety, satin blade) it has DLC coated H1 serrated sheepsfoot blade, G10 scales, wire clip, safety (it's a full automatic), large deployment button, rustproof black coated hardware, open design and drain holes in the spring cavity. It's meant to be used in salt water, in cold wet terrible conditions, and still afford great grip, zero corrosion, and easy use. It's freakin' solid!!

IMG_2925_zpsghieq4ds.jpg

IMG_2926_zpsjtpowdba.jpg

IMG_2922_zpsxxbmazvs.jpg

IMG_2923_zpsbydegq1q.jpg

IMG_2924_zpsrwkkewel.jpg

IMG_2921_zpsloh0brrz.jpg

​THAT is a cooooool knife!! Congrats!!

nbp

Flashaholic
Thanks TKC! It looks so "mission impossible", stealthy. I felt cooler just carrying it today at work. Hehehe

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like that you felt a little cooler carrying it at work. :)

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
... It's not technically part of the Salt series, but given the H1, I think it fits... It's meant to be used in salt water...

Oh, it is most certainly pertinent to this thread. Thanks so much for the pictures.

Now: Are you going to use it daily at work? We would love to hear feedback regarding function.

Thanks TKC! It looks so "mission impossible", stealthy. I felt cooler just carrying it today at work. Hehehe

Ha! You felt cooler because you were cooler. I'm surprised you didn't spend the day humming the Mission Impossible theme song, throwing sideways glances in tune with the music. Do da doo! :thumbsup:

~ Chance

nbp

Flashaholic
Oh, it is most certainly pertinent to this thread. Thanks so much for the pictures.

Now: Are you going to use it daily at work? We would love to hear feedback regarding function.

Yessir I sure am! I will report back after I get to cut some stuff with it. Today I only scraped a small sliver from my palm wit the flat tip.

Ha! You felt cooler because you were cooler. I'm surprised you didn't spend the day humming the Mission Impossible theme song, throwing sideways glances in tune with the music. Do da doo! :thumbsup:

~ Chance

Maybe I did... :whistle:

I like that you felt a little cooler carrying it at work. :)

[emoji4]

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's some knife, I looked at a youtube video on it, pretty cool. I like the orange with the satin blade, looks sharp (pun intended). I see they're made in Colorado as opposed to Seki like the rest of the Salt series, nice. I would like to see the details of the review process the Coast Guard put the knife through, they must have thought well enough about the H1 steel after testing to pick it up (although I don't see the benefit of the auto folder over a fixed blade for their intended use).

nbp

Flashaholic
I'll have to look for the thread on BladeForums but a Spydie rep said they had been working with the Coast Guard for 7 years on this project with various prototypes before this knife was perfected and released. I imagine it is hard to re-sheath a fixed blade on the water in rough seas? Or maybe dangerous to have in hand when not actually in use? I dunno, just guessing?

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
..... I imagine it is hard to re-sheath a fixed blade on the water in rough seas? Or maybe dangerous to have in hand when not actually in use? I dunno, just guessing?

Good guess, makes sense.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
(I private messaged him) Brief update on nbp and his Autonomy:

Busy time of year at work. He thinks it is great for its design intention, but sounds like it does not meet his needs so much. nbp does really like the Chris Reeve knives, particularly his Sebenza.

nbp

Flashaholic
Thanks K. Yeah that about sums it up. I think the Autonomy is an AWESOME knife in itself, and for the guys it's meant for I'm sure it is tops. But for me it was not the perfect EDC. It is quite large and quite heavy. For gloved hands and wet conditions that big grippy handle is essential but for bombing about in shorts it's a lot to carry. It's heavy due to the very robust build and mechanisms, which again is great for Coast Guard dudes but for me, it's mostly a novelty. The serrated blade is wicked on fibrous material but I'm realizing that serrations aren't that helpful for my daily use and a plain edge is superior. I probably will end up selling this Autonomy as it has very little use on it.

I got into CRK knives about 7 months ago and have picked up a couple Sebenzas and an Inkosi and I am really enjoying them. I don't have interest in much else right now. I started carrying a large 21 Insingo for work and it has been great. I'm surprised and very very pleased with it's corrosion resistance despite not being made for wet conditions. Not a speck of rust on it after weeks of being in damp pockets.

Latest posts