Stenlight

noelex

Newly Enlightened
I have a Stenlight S7C and find it fantastic. I have been cruising the Mediterranean on a yacht for the last year and use it almost daily when doing work on the boat. Not what the maker intended but its ideal. My wife keeps borrowing mine to do her patchwork and she has now said she wants one too.
I have said she can have mine and I will get a new one.:thumbsup:
The Rebel 70 used presently would be significantly brighter than my current Luxon III (anyone know by how much ), but I would like to wait for the premium model promised early next year.
Does anyone have more accurate delivery date?

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
It is neat to hear that people other than cavers are using these lights. I too am awaiting something a bit more up to date before I drop several hundred dollars on a new caving lamp.

Right now, I am waiting for Sten to come out with an even brighter version or for a complete headlamp and battery unit to be offered by the new serv-light designers.

If you haven't already seen it, check this out: http://www.serv-light.com/

noelex

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the comment. I have seen the website, its a bit difficult to tell from the photos but it doesn't look as nicely made as the Stenlight and being a bit larger with a less adjustable light source I don't think its quite as suitable for my purpose, but I would love to see a review or hear opinions from anyone who has got one.
There is also another rival for the best headtorch that looks interesting. The Radon Scurion.
I agree about wating for a better LED for the Sten I dont mind paying for something beautifully made with the best quality materials, but it seem wrong to spent $300 when some much cheaper lights have got better LEDs. I still love my S7C though.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had the folks at Stenlight mod mine with SSC P4's when it went in for other service.

I think I paid $60, but I provided the emitters. They said mine were way better than the samples they had. :D

I would recomend getting med an high lowered at the same time if you do this.

noelex

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the response.
The option of updating the emitter is a nice touch by Stenlight and the price sounds very reasonable it is nice to know they want to keep their customers happy.
If I was in the USA I think I would buy the existing Stenlight then get my old and new Stenlight updated in a year or so. Unfortunately the logistics would be difficult in my case so I am keen to get the best LED available.
I still don't quite understand why you can purchase a better emitter than a (admittedly small) manufacturer can get, or why say a Rebel 70 is used when the cost difference to a Rebel 100 is small. Even if The manufacture has in stock older emitters that were state of the art when purchasing them the cost of disposing of them and using the best currently available would seem small on a premium product like the Stenlight.