Strobe only?

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
YOU should be ashamed of yourself! Talking about blind people as if they are animals who should be left indoors at night. I am disgusted :mad:

I volunteer a blind center. People go there to learn to be more independent and socialize. One of the persons that I work with likes to go out at night every now and then (who doesn't), but feels unsafe when crossing streets. I am looking into putting together a pendant using flashlight parts to make a bright, flashing light. It has to be strobe only (gets more attention than constant) since he can't tell what mode it is on. It should also use easy to find, disposable batteries and be as light as possible hence the single alkaline requirement.

As of now, I can't find a 1.5V powered strobe only light so I might just do some research on circuits and see if I can put one together.
First off, I think he was just saying that you can't just stick a strobe light on a blind person like you stick a reflector on a kid's backback and expect it to protect them, he didn't mean any offense. Also, we've been giving you the answer the whole time! The quark AA tactical will take a single alkaline and can be set to strobe only! There are even two kinds of stobe you can set it to!

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
What about using one of those rear lights for bicycles or armband runner's lights? I think some just flash red LEDs and they also work as reflectors. I've got one that has flash and constant on modes and runs on 2 AAA's.

Geoff

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
The quark AA tactical will take a single alkaline and can be set to strobe only!
Indeed. As long as the fellow is careful not to turn the bezel a bunch of times really fast then it will be impossible for him to enter program mode (and there would be absolutely no reason for him to perform this action). It will of course have to be set up for him before hand.

entoptics

Enlightened
YOU should be ashamed of yourself! Talking about blind people as if they are animals who should be left indoors at night. I am disgusted :mad:

As of now, I can't find a 1.5V powered strobe only light so I might just do some research on circuits and see if I can put one together.

"As of now", you have found what you need. It's called a Quark AA Tactical or JetBeam with IBS. Unless these lights are beyond your budget ($50-$70) then I don't see the problem. I agree that LEDburn was a bit flippant with his reply, but he wasn't being insulting.

As mentioned, you (or someone else with minor gadget skill) can program the light to the required strobe or beacon modes, attach it to a lanyard, carabiner, velcro, etc, etc, etc, and hand it off to the intended user.

With these lights, you can give the blind person the option of choosing one of two blinking frequencies which are switchable by obvious tactile manipulation (tightening or loosening the lights head). For instance, a slow blink for sidewalk/trail use and a fast strobe for crossing streets or high traffic areas. If that isn't enough, you can set both modes to the same thing, and have your "strobe only" light wether the head is tight or loose.

Sorry if I'm confused, but unless your budget is thin, this sounds like an absolute no brainer to me.

d7e7r7

Newly Enlightened
What about the Olight M20s? Strobe mode can be activated from off by pressing the side button...