Surefire’s 2010 New Lights Discussion

sfca

Enlightened
-The upcoming AZ2-S LED Combatlight has a new cousin, the Z2-S which is a single mode combatlight but with a STROBE (press tailcap 3X and it will enter strobe mode).

Now I know the catalogue (Cyper's scans) isn't 100% but it looks like the AZ2 is much longer then the Z2-S

What is it about the 4+1 LEDs that requires a longer tailcap?
AZ2 head is huge too!

From the specs:
AZ2 - 5.7"
Z2 LED - 5.2"
Z2-S - 5"
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

AZ2 - 5.1oz
Z2 LED - 4.7oz
Z2-S - 4.9oz

Why not a no-strobe Z2-S instead of having a 120 lumen Z2 LED?
Then you can fully adopt the different "Z2-S" styled head & body on both models.

-On a related note, Surefire is working on a new LED head for the P/G/Z series lights.
Apparently the new LED will be 120 lumens (this blow the current P60L outta the water!). It is still being worked on and I guess they will release it soon as all the P/G/C/Z lights in the new catalog are now sporting 120 Lumens ratings.

Wait, does this mean there's going to be an update in the exterior design as well?
I'm looking for a 6P defender... Wondering if I should wait.

With a 200 lumen E2DL & 110 lumen LX1, I hope the actual ratings when released will be better.
I'm down for a serrated head though. :huh:

Last edited:

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well the extra length appears to be from the 2-stage tailcap that will also take the lanyards similar to the A2, A2L, LX2, L2 etc etc.

sfca

Enlightened
Well the extra length appears to be from the 2-stage tailcap that will also take the lanyards similar to the A2, A2L, LX2, L2 etc etc.

Silly me, I should have known that. I keep comparing to the old picture from Optics planet (which I've been continuously looking at forever!)

You know, even if the P60L is being replaced by a LED head it should be removable.
Then some modders could make drop-ins suited for improved head. Win-win!

KROMATICS

Enlightened
Does the UB3T replace the UB3 or complement it? Is it real or just another in a long line of vaporware? I want one but as Mark Twain once said:

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and Surefire catalogs"

KROMATICS

Enlightened
Whoops. Looks like the UB3T replaces the UB3... at least in theory. We'll see if it's actually released.

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wait, does this mean there's going to be an update in the exterior design as well?
I'm looking for a 6P defender... Wondering if I should wait.

With a 200 lumen E2DL & 110 lumen LX1, I hope the actual ratings when released will be better.
I'm down for a serrated head though. :huh:

I did see a 6PL and G2L with a new head with the small serrations and a different design on the surface (looks like the Stratum head). I thought it was just for show but I did see a tan G2ZL with that style head so I guess that will be new design from here on out. Details are fuzzy but I believe the future LED replacement modules will have the head & LED module sold as a package.

The LX1 looked nice and bright.

loszabo

Enlightened
Absolutely agree. The knurling was one of the main things that communicated "quality" to me and got me hooked on SFs originally. SF makes the best knurling I have ever handled. With the possible exception of the Titan, it is truly a waste to forego it. In all honesty, if I am going to EDC a light without knurling, it's going to be a light made by some surfer dude in Hawaii. I might have to make an exception for one of the new 3T lights though. I bet they are beasts in the field. :naughty:

I agree, but I have to admit the LX2 has a great design I started to favor over my LED-pimped E2D. Now, my E1B is a little, ugly light that is too big and, and,... Blech, I don't like it! (Spoiled McGizmo owner...)

So, who's da surfer dude, bro? :shrug:

Last edited:

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
We will all see what ... if anything ... surefire actually delivers in 2010 vs what they showcased/published in the catalog as New for 2010......

If 2009 was any indication, I think we it is safe to assume that a couple of these lights won't make it into prime time.

iapyx

Enlightened
BTW, did you notice that pic? :thinking: :crackup:

Oh yeah, like she's carrying an UB3T in her Gucci/Hermes/LV/Prada bag:

ub3t_in.jpg
Yes, that's what I thought.
And the way she holds it, I can't imagine it's a UB3T. Hmmm, well, it could be, but I doubt it.
I don't think a UB3T is meant for this kind of use.

Last edited:

gsxrac

Enlightened
I don't think a UB3T is meant for this kind of use.

My sentiments exactly!!! Last time I checked I had a hard time getting my fiancee to carry a single cell pocket rocket in her purse. I can barely get her to carry a 2 cell G2Z on night walks! How on earth do I convince her she needs a $400ish 3 cell 8 inch long 3 inch wide light in her purse!?

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anybody touched the Charlie so far? That's a blade/flipper I need & want!!! :candle:
All of the knives were inside a display case but one of the guys did show me the Charlie and a Pen 3. The Charlie is one big brute of a knife, its really big but what I saw was a prototype. The new pens are rounded at the top but triangular (3 sides) towards the bottom and featuring the Stratum style grooves in the body.

iapyx

Enlightened
Is there anyone who has spoken to SF about this new UB3T and asked why they changed the design of the UB3 with a narrow head/bezel into a UB3T with a waterhead (non existing English word I think). Turbohead?
I mean, what were the reasons for making the design like this?
From what I understand so far is that the UB3T will have a TIR with a focussed beam. That's not in line of the U2 which has a floody beam. And the design evolution of the U2 - UA2 - UB2 - UB3 - UB3T is one from a slightly bigger head to a small head and now a huge head/bezel. I don't think it's ugly. I might want one. Just like to get some more design info.

Thanks

dcycleman

Enlightened
im sure they will sell a lot of whatever final design they decide upon. i really liked the original concept, it would have been an almost pocketable light. it would have been a backpack light for me, not taking up too much room in the pack for hiking trips, this one is too big.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
All of the knives were inside a display case but one of the guys did show me the Charlie and a Pen 3. The Charlie is one big brute of a knife, its really big but what I saw was a prototype. The new pens are rounded at the top but triangular (3 sides) towards the bottom and featuring the Stratum style grooves in the body.

Does the tip from the refill on the Pen III extend a good amount out of the bottom? Main thing that kept me from buying a Pen II was the fact that I'd be writing blind.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Me liking Stratum VERY MUCH. But I'm puzzled at the runtime. The E2DL puts out 200L for 2 hours but this is only putting out 150 for two hours. Could it just be "preliminary" numbers? I definetly want to get a closer look at Stratum. Hopefully it doesn't end up like the LX1 and over a year late.

About the LX1 and E1B. I knew they were going to do that. I emailed them a few months ago question why the weaponlight that looks like the E1B was putting out 110 and the E1B was only rated at 80. I asked them if they were going to upgrade the output numbers like they did the E2DL and they stated it would be something the might be doing the future but couldn't discuss it much further. I chuckled.

Now about that E2L-AA... DROOL! However I'm more interested in the body to use with an E1L or E1B head. It would be cool if it could be used with the LX1 head but something tells me it won't fit cuz of the thread diameter etc.

Anyway if anyone can get more pics of that Stratum that would be great.

I may have missed it in the 8 pages here but am I to understand that the Stratum and others have fixed LED assemblies?

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I may have missed it in the 8 pages here but am I to understand that the Stratum and others have fixed LED assemblies?
That's the impression I have as well, that it's not a P60 host, it just looks like one.

There was a comment on this page or the previous one about updated 6P and G2 that also have the LED in the head assembly.

mega_lumens

Enlightened
My sentiments exactly!!! Last time I checked I had a hard time getting my fiancee to carry a single cell pocket rocket in her purse. I can barely get her to carry a 2 cell G2Z on night walks! How on earth do I convince her she needs a $400ish 3 cell 8 inch long 3 inch wide light in her purse!?

Can't you see that the woman with the Gucci bag and UB3T was returning from her black ops CIA assignment somewhere in Yemen or Pakistan in a very spooky garage with no lighting at all? A 2 cell G2Z can put her in very compromising situations due to lack of lumens and no 8 levels of tactical lighting choices. :p

But seriously, I would love to hear more on the design of this light and the intended market.