Surefire 8X question

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still want to put an XM-L in a burned out X80 with a current-limiting resistor, but the people I was borrowing a lathe from moved. :(

Also, is there any chance of making an adapter to run a pair of li-ion C cells in parallel for that? When I came up with this crazy scheme, 3D printing wasn't yet a thing. Now it's one of the better things if you want custom plastic parts.

The combination of an LED and a lithium pack would make for quite the sleeper, and you could turn it into a rocket without even modifying the light - everything would be drop-in.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
the body is Sub-C, so no chance ...

but how about the easy idea to "mod" an 8X to led:

get a P60 insert and widen the inside hole of the 8X head the tiny bit it fits into.
With the inside and outside springs, the insert should make good contact to the battery, with the angeled surface heat transfer should also be good,
and the best: not much work and totally redoable - just insert an incan LA when "needed"

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
This whole thread fascinates me. Makes me want to pick up an old 8X to mod.
Oh I know what you mean. Sometimes I look at old lights and imagine with the given spaces in some compartments as to what could be made to work inside them if I only had a lathe. Like Malkoff got his dropins to work inside the head of a MagLite.

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
Funny, I was just looking at my 8x and wondering if any of the new battery sizes would be a good fit in the tube. Have to make the voltage correct for the bulb. Or maybe some dropin LED and reflector would fit...