Surefire A2 Aviator bi-pin adaptors/Tad's customs

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got an e-mail from Tad that he is sending me an updated copy of the E-series bi-pin with the updated high-temperature ceramic glue in it. To date I've had no issues with the proto E-series bi-pin, but I suppose long term heat could harden the glue and weaken it. My experience with the E-series bi-pin has been excellent so far. I've tried it with about 3-4 of the different bulbs available and the focus it superb with each one. I really like how the bi-pin adapter has a sleeve to guide the bulb in and keep it focused not only up and down but side-to-side as well. It's the side to side focus which can always cause weirdness with bi-pin incan bulbs when the filament it just a tiny bit off center and you go nuts trying to adjust it.

Both the A2 and the E-series bi-pins are well thought out quality products. I commend the work put into the design and look forward to using these for a long time to come! I should certainly hope so as I purchased a 20-pack of the 3718 bulbs - I find them the all around best in both the A2 and the E2e with a 16650 cell.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got me confused. The A2 has a voltage regulated buck circuit. How does a 16650 work in regulation?

Bill

Sorry for the confusion. I run the A2 with a Calipsoii ring and 2 x 16340 IMR cells. The E2e I am running with a single 16650.
I tried the 16650 in the A2 a while back and it's not enough voltage to drive the light.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Thanks for the response. I have run the A2 with 2X16340's with no problem, and the LED's function ok though somewhat brighter. Have not failed.

Bill

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
Just got my Tad adapter. Yep, works fine with a calipsoi ring. But I want to know, do we have to buy Tad's bulbs or will this work with any bi pin bulb. The whole idea for me was to be able to use bulbs that I can find locally. If I have to order bulbs from HK, then I might as well use the ones from lumens factory.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got my Tad adapter. Yep, works fine with a calipsoi ring. But I want to know, do we have to buy Tad's bulbs or will this work with any bi pin bulb. The whole idea for me was to be able to use bulbs that I can find locally.

I can't answer that very well, or very confidently... but I hope someone else can... Though I would expect, absolutely, yes, if you match voltages and the lamp fits, why not? I'm curious if Strion lamps will fit in Tad's socket.

If I have to order bulbs from HK, then I might as well use the ones from lumens factory.

I think the Lumens Factory lamps are probably great quality, but they're ~$20/each. Not counting the cost of Tad's socket, the bipin lamps are $1.80/each. It would hurt to keep a couple extra Lumens Factory lamps in your drawer at the ready, when with the same capital you could have 20 extra bipin lamps from Tad's.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Strion bulb does fit; however, the focus is not right. Tad's bulbs have just the right focus.

Think about the cost factor on ordering drop-ins from LF. @$20 each it would cost you $400 to get 20 drop-ins. For $25 for the adapter and $36 for a 20-pack of bulbs you have just saved yourself over $325.

Tad's shipping is super quick. I have gotten all my packages here in the US in under a week.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Bit disappointing to hear the focus isn't quite right with Streamlight bulbs.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't recall exactly, I think it sat too low. Aside from the height issue the other problem with the strion bulb is the side to side focus. Tad's bulbs fit perfectly centered in the holder so there is no fiddling to get the bulb centered. The strion is smaller and has some side to side movement.

scout24

Flashaholic
Good info, thanks. Waiting on an adapter and bulbs... I realize these are a new product, but does anyone have some hours on bulbs yet? Thoughts with use?

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
I think the Lumens Factory lamps are probably great quality, but they're ~$20/each. Not counting the cost of Tad's socket, the bipin lamps are $1.80/each. It would hurt to keep a couple extra Lumens Factory lamps in your drawer at the ready, when with the same capital you could have 20 extra bipin lamps from Tad's.

You make a good point, I may even order a handful of Tad's bulbs this week. But I am still going to look into using other bi pin bulbs that can be sourced locally.

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
After playing for couple days with various e1/e2 bulbs - from 50 to 350 lm I would definitely like to have a 15-20lm bulb. Something like 3.7V/0.6amp. I wonder if there is any technical difficulty about such a bulb?

Fuchshp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have many hours on my tad cumstoms bulbs in my e2e. I really use them a lot. I'm still waiting for the first one to burn out.

I would be very, very interested in a 0.6A 3.7v bulb as well. Most of the time it's too much light.

troller_cpf

Enlightened
Hello,
on the surefire A2, which is regulated at 4V if I remember correctly, does this mean that the two bulbs 3718 and 3712 will be driven at 4V as well? In this case the "power consumption" for the 3718 bulb will be 3.7x1.8 = 6.66 W or it will be 4x1.8 = 7.2 W?

Which battery configuration is most recommended on the A2, 2xCR123 or 1x16650?

I'm just trying to make up my mind for the perfect order :) :)

thanks!!

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think I will ever sell my A2.
After finally handling one for the first time last week, I understand!

The absolutely perfect in-hand feel, the regulation, the two stage switch, the shape.... flashlight nirvana.

I definitely need one of these bad boys when finances allow.