Surefire A2 Aviator Fan checking in

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
. . .I have plenty of Mark's stuff and would absolutely trust it. Not sure if the market is big enough but still....
Not big enough but AFAIK LF is committed to keeping certain parts ecosystem going.
The shrouded Z62 (A2) boot retainer ring is one such example.
In a few weeks time replacement boots will also be available for purchase.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Other than the Onion Rings, who else was making the dimmable neutral white LED rings for the A2? I'm going to get rid of mine and can't remember who I ordered it from.

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
Other than the Onion Rings, who else was making the dimmable neutral white LED rings for the A2? I'm going to get rid of mine and can't remember who I ordered it from.

Nobody...but be patient. Koala messaged me saying he's preparing come back with better and upgraded Onion Rings[emoji41]

archimedes

Flashaholic

@calipsoii made these for a relatively brief while, with a different design and features

There was also the Aviatrix version, long ago, by Atomic Chicken

Last edited:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
@calipsoii made these for a relatively brief while, with a different design and features
That's it! I bought a few of the Calipsoii rings and that's what I still have with this one. One of the best things was the incredible low level, and that the ring matched the tint of the incandescent main bulb.

You're the one who encouraged me to even try these in the first place and they're an incredible light with the upgraded ring.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Nobody...but be patient. Koala messaged me saying he's preparing come back with better and upgraded Onion Rings[emoji41]
Archimedes answered it - it was Calipsoii, and I don't know if he's still around or not, but they should have made them using his rings right from the factory.

archimedes

Flashaholic
That's it! I bought a few of the Calipsoii rings and that's what I still have with this one. One of the best things was the incredible low level, and that the ring matched the tint of the incandescent main bulb.

You're the one who encouraged me to even try these in the first place and they're an incredible light with the upgraded ring.

Yes, they are fantastic, and I have a couple of these.

Archimedes answered it - it was Calipsoii, and I don't know if he's still around or not, but they should have made them using his rings right from the factory.

He still drops in on CPF, from time to time :)

Lumen83

Enlightened

This is great news! I hope Koala posts here to let us know when they are ready.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Yes, they are fantastic, and I have a couple of these.

He still drops in on CPF, from time to time :)
Probably no new Calipsoii rings available anymore more though I assume? After getting my first one I thought they were the absolute bomb for the A2, especially with the tint and incredible low level programability.

strideredc

Enlightened
Does anyone know if Koala is going to make more onion rings? i have been trying to get one for ages but keep missing out for one reason or another!

Lumen83

Enlightened
Same here. Hoping to see some more soon but not sure if there are any plans for more to be made.

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
Asked Koala how's situation in Australia and he said some changes and new stuff he's gonna publish this year. He didn't forget about us, freaks[emoji106]

Sent from Tapatalk

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know that there was a yellow/green version of the A2, but was there also a green version, different from the Y/G?

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
I know that there was a yellow/green version of the A2, but was there also a green version, different from the Y/G?

Yes, Green and Yellow/Green, 2 different lights. Never understood the appeal or usefulness of the green when yellow/green was available. Yellow/green is getting harder and harder to come by.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The original Aviator flashlight was a plastic and alloy number by Just Rite that was a 2x AA with a #222 bulb that had a thumb operated "tit" that slid a red lens over or away from the bulb tip. Like other military lights of that era the switch was part of a pocket clip where sliding a ball forward caused parts to make contact. Pulling back caused parts to separate. There were some blue but those reportedly never were issued.

By Vietnam Just Rite made them of alluminum and the less than reliable switch was now a twisty at the rear instead. Reportedly some green were also issued. The thinking there was if a pilot were shot down behind enemy lines green would light their way while being harder to spot by the enemy. No yellow lens was needed as the bulb tint already was.
133-B2874-ACB4-4871-B233-7-F3705-D26-F8-E.jpg

Both have a red lens.

It was those funky purple Mickey Mouse ear beamed SureFire'd LED's that needed yellow/green to mimic incan at that time.
We all know SureFire did a great Aviator light no doubt, but I just wanted to say where the idea for green began.