Surefire Aviator 2017 thread

K2-bk-bl-rd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can anyone comment on the throw of the beam? Is it similar to the E1D or tighter and brighter, like the 200 lumen EB1.

Last edited:

bovie

Newly Enlightened
There is a rotation of the two leds during the change of color.

The selected led is placed in the center of the TIR Lens.

The three positions: Off/White/Red:

Led Off.
off_le10.jpg

White Led
white_10.jpg

Red Led
red_le10.jpg

Is it just me or does the entire optic look lined up more with the white? a little off on the white and way off on the red? Or is it just the LED moving? I don't have one so I can't comment on normal or not.

DAN92

Enlightened
Is it just me or does the entire optic look lined up more with the white? a little off on the white and way off on the red? Or is it just the LED moving? I don't have one so I can't comment on normal or not.
Sorry for the confusion and if I am not mistaken, when the head is turned, the optic move longitudinally to align with the LEDs.

bovie

Newly Enlightened
Oh weird the optic moves not the LED's move. I guess that makes sense. Does it throw a straight beam? or if it isn't straight do you notice?

DAN92

Enlightened
bovie,

Indeed, it throw a straight beam.

brttina,

Sorry for the poor quality of the pictures.

High, 250Lumens (White Led).

beamsh13.jpg

beamsh14.jpg

(Pictures taken on a pedestrian bridge)

Last edited:

kj2

Flashaholic
Just emailed my dealer to order one. Never had a amber light, so am still thinking about where and when I'm going to use it. Downside is that my dealer indicated it will take a few weeks, before it arrives.

BugoutBoys

Enlightened
I just got my second Aviator and somehow managed to get consecutive serial numbers.. both of my aviators are one number apart 😂 89 then 90

rchrest

Newly Enlightened

Mine is off-center much worse than this. I ordered a new one hoping to have it perfect and send the old one back. Unfortunately aviator #2 is aligned even worse than #1. It doesn't affect function. I'll keep it but will be more skeptical of future models. I've always had the greatest respect for surefire.

DAN92

Enlightened
Mine is off-center much worse than this. I ordered a new one hoping to have it perfect and send the old one back. Unfortunately aviator #2 is aligned even worse than #1. It doesn't affect function. I'll keep it but will be more skeptical of future models. I've always had the greatest respect for surefire.
I think this is normal for the optics off-center and it does not affect the performance of this light.

Last edited:

BugoutBoys

Enlightened
It sounds like the Yellow/Green is the most common to have flicker? I wonder if that is true or coincidence.

Last edited:

BugoutBoys

Enlightened
I think this is normal for the optics off-center and it does not affect the performance of this light.
The optic is supposed to be off-center because when you rotate the head, the optic is the part that actually moves and positions itself over the LEDs. At first it bothered me too, but then I realized that it actually has a purpose for being off-center!

on a side note, I have decided that the Aviator has become my absolute favorite all around flashlight which is why I got another one to throw in my Bug Out Bag.

BugoutBoys

Enlightened
STORY TIME!!
Yesterday I was down at the river with some friends. My phone was in a waterproof bubble thing along with my keys and it was all in my swimsuit pocket along with my Aviator. The current was extremely strong due to a lot of rain we have had lately. At one point my friend yelled at me that my phone and key were floating down the river. Not wanting my Aviator to follow the same fate I took it out of my pocket and held it as I ferociously swam down the river to catch my phone and key. All the while, the Aviator was underwater with the pressure of me swimming and holding it. It was also bashing hard against rocks. I eventually caught my runaway phone and key. The Aviator was completely unfazed with only a tiny ding on the bezel from being slammed against rocks. The O-Rings held out the water perfectly, even under the pressure of being in the river's current and being smacked around.

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
STORY TIME!!
Yesterday I was down at the river with some friends. My phone was in a waterproof bubble thing along with my keys and it was all in my swimsuit pocket along with my Aviator. The current was extremely strong due to a lot of rain we have had lately. At one point my friend yelled at me that my phone and key were floating down the river. Not wanting my Aviator to follow the same fate I took it out of my pocket and held it as I ferociously swam down the river to catch my phone and key. All the while, the Aviator was underwater with the pressure of me swimming and holding it. It was also bashing hard against rocks. I eventually caught my runaway phone and key. The Aviator was completely unfazed with only a tiny ding on the bezel from being slammed against rocks. The O-Rings held out the water perfectly, even under the pressure of being in the river's current and being smacked around.
Wow, that's quite the story! Glad to hear both you and the Aviator survived unharmed!

BugoutBoys

Enlightened
Can anyone comment on the throw of the beam? Is it similar to the E1D or tighter and brighter, like the 200 lumen EB1.

I've found the throw to be very similar to the SF G2X. About to same distance. It's more narrow because of the TIR but still IMO a perfect size.

AK350X

Newly Enlightened
Got my aviator today. No flicker, optic is perfect. Mine is the red version, very useful so far. Now if it just had a dedomed nichia.... tried an IMR 16340 for a short period and it worked fine (not that I suggest using them). I have used the IMR behind the e1d and eb1 circuits for a long time. Anyone using rechargeable batteries in the new aviator?

For beam vs eb1 and e1d---

The eb1 is very throwy, little spill; mine had a solid beam---lux variation was not noticeable

The e1d and e2d ultra have a little larger beam with good spill; lux in the beam varied slightly on mine

The aviator I have is a medium sized beam, less spill; center of the beam definitely has higher lux and spill is kinda ringy like my x400 was

I would do pictures, but the aviator and x400 ultra are the only unmodified Surefires I have and they will remain that way. I like the aviator a lot.

Last edited:

BugoutBoys

Enlightened
Got my aviator today. No flicker, optic is perfect. Mine is the red version, very useful so far. Now if it just had a dedomed nichia.... tried an IMR 16340 for a short period and it worked fine (not that I suggest using them). I have used the IMR behind the e1d and eb1 circuits for a long time. Anyone using rechargeable batteries in the new aviator?
I'm so glad you did that, I've been wondering about IMRs hoping that they wouldn't hurt it!