Surefire Aviator 2017 thread

Re: Surefire Aviator release date?

I received a reply from the Technical Support Manager to my email inquiry regarding the runtime difference between Amber High, 2.75 hour, and Yellow-Green High, 12 hours. He stated that the runtimes are correct.

I plan to purchase the Y-G Aviator and the Backup MV. SureFire service just feels too good and professional, to not support them.

Salmonfacesalad

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the confirmation search and rescue! I'll eventually get a Y/G as well. I'm tracking my Amber Z61 tail version from optics planet as we speak.

Last edited:

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast

What's the deal with Optics Planet offering it with the Z61 tailcap? Why do they have different ones that everyone else?
I have a YG that's in transit from Midway which appears to have the standard Z68. I actually prefer the Z68 since it can tail stand; just curious about Optics Planet having a different offering.

Salmonfacesalad

Newly Enlightened

If midway had the Amber I would have ordered from them. I have no idea on the different tailcap.

Last edited:

Salmonfacesalad

Newly Enlightened

I also have a few new Z68's collecting dust, Black and Tan, that will go on the aviator.

yowzer

Enlightened

Anybody know what the main LED is in this? Osram Oslon Square like their other TIR lights, or something else?

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic

So the color LED and the White LED shares the same optic? Are they of the same package? closeup bezel shot please!

yowzer

Enlightened

So the color LED and the White LED shares the same optic? Are they of the same package? closeup bezel shot please!

It looks like the control ring physically moves the appropriate LED to be under the optic.

Anybody know what the main LED is in this? Osram Oslan Square like their other TIR lights, or something else?

Yes, the White LED is square. The tint is impressive. I see it as pure white. The tint on my P3X is not pure white; it is the CREE XM-L2 with a tiny bit of green, especially the 15 lumen low mode.

My belief is that the 2017 two new SureFire models, both single 123A powered, is cutting edge technology. Very much on par with the best flashlight models from other manufacturers, if not better. The impressive thing about SureFire flashlights is their very tight tolerances. I used to be a professional road cycling fanatic, and top of the line Campagnolo components reminds me of SureFire tolerances.

Salmonfacesalad

Newly Enlightened

I received my Amber aviator from Optics Planet yesterday.

It is not a Z61 tailcap as advertised, mine came with a Z68. It comes in a cardboard box ( similar to an M952V weapon light box ), as opposed to the red/black box with a window.

The white light tint is nowhere as green as my Defender Ultra. It has a tighter hot spot as well.

hcd615

Enlightened
Surefire Aviator release date?

Hi, I am going to purchase the Aviator, but not sure on the secondary led, amber or yellow/green. Does anyone have the amber and does anyone have the yellow/green? What are your thoughts. In addition, the Aviators people have purchased all come with the Z68 tailcap regardless what the pic shows on websites, is that correct? Thank you

Last edited:

Salmonfacesalad

Newly Enlightened

Mine came with a Z68 but was pictured with a Z61.

IMG_7722_zpsyj7j0d1v.jpg

IMG_7725_zpsryzszpld.jpg

IMG_7723_zpsqgoqisbb.jpg

Last edited:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast

Salmon, thanks for the pics. I am super curious to see that Amber beam shot at night. Can you take a few and post them? That would be so swell. I am really thinking hard about getting one. Also, how smooth is the UI? I imagine that Amber is a perfect task light at night, like when everyone is asleep an you need to navigate the house and such. What is your intended use of the Amber?
Thanks in advance.

hcd615

Enlightened

Optics Planet is a 1-3 month wait, I don't see anyone that has the amber or any lights except SF direct, guess I have to go that route.....

yowzer

Enlightened

Yes, the White LED is square.

Square is a model of LED, not a shape.

My belief is that the 2017 two new SureFire models, both single 123A powered, is cutting edge technology.

Not really. Surefire's been behind the game for many years when you look at battery choices and emitters. The small Oslon Square behind their TIR optics in lights like the EB2 makes for a nice tight hotspot compared to Armytek or Olight's focused TIR/XM-L2 offerings, but output and runtime suffer a lot. I'm probably going to get one of the new Aviators when they're in stock, but cutting edge they're not.

Salmonfacesalad

Newly Enlightened

I'll get some beam shots tonight. But my camera is terrible.

I find the twist bezel UI easy to use. Although in total darkness I find myself fumbling switching from white to Amber. I'll get used to it. The tail cap UI is the usual Surefire fare.

Salmonfacesalad

Newly Enlightened

IMG_7747_zps7ecw8irq.jpg

IMG_7745_zps90gdhklc.jpg

Left to right. Defender Ultra, M300A TN, Amber aviator 3V, protac 1L-1AA, S1A Baton, and a cheap 6 LED 3X AAA.
IMG_7749_zpssdpsmsep.jpg

Last edited:

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast

I received my new Aviator YG yesterday from MidwayUSA. Pretty awesome little light! Earlier in this thread I had mentioned that SureFire lists the yellow-green low as 0.3 lumens in one place and 3 lumens in another, leading to some confusion. Unfortunately, I'd say it's definitely closer to 3 rather than 0.3. The yellow-green low is pretty similar in output to the 5 lumen white low mode. With dark adapted eyes, the low output yellow-green is pretty bright!

I own all the yellow-green offerings that I know of from SureFire (A2-YG, Kroma Milspec, HL1-D, and now Aviator-YG) and the low mode on this new Aviator is significantly brighter than any of the others. It's also the first yellow-green that isn't from a 3mm or 5mm LED.

As for the white, I'm happy to report that mine really has no tint at all. No green, no blue, no yellow; just pure white.

Using a photographic white balance card, I measured 6,000K and perfectly even red, green, and blue values (no strong leaning tint in any direction).

Here is the Aviator YG on low compared to the Kroma Milspec:
ROBERTM-CPF-P1030780.jpg