Surefire Aviator 2017 thread

tokaji

Newly Enlightened
I'm glad I dod not order the 2017 Aviator. Here in Europe, I would have no chance to get it repaired.

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone order a YG Aviator in the past few months? Are there still the QC issues (flickering, issues with optic, etc)?

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received a YG Aviator a couple of weeks ago. It appears to be an early production model, with the packaging being the plain brown box. I haven't detected any flickering at all and there are no QC issues on my behalf.
What a great reintroduction of the Aviator line though. Very much enjoying it.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Realizing this is an Aviator thread:
IMG-20190108-112255.jpg

It also makes for a mighty fine E clone.

ICU812

Newly Enlightened
Just got back from my local gun store 30 minutes ago who had a red one in stock for $190 NIB. I had posted a thread earlier looking for some last minute advice but I didn't do it right and it was closed. Totally my fault. Anyways, I really like the red. So far it seems to be very different than my EDCL2-T which is my EDC. Different as in terms to the direction of the beam. It's very focused and the red is very intense. Hoping it'll last a few years. Are there any accessories for this model?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Just got back from my local gun store 30 minutes ago who had a red one in stock for $190 NIB. I had posted a thread earlier looking for some last minute advice but I didn't do it right and it was closed. Totally my fault. Anyways, I really like the red. So far it seems to be very different than my EDCL2-T which is my EDC. Different as in terms to the direction of the beam. It's very focused and the red is very intense. Hoping it'll last a few years. Are there any accessories for this model?

Welcome to CPF. That was a good price. Red is a good version.

Can you be more specific about what kind of accessories you mean?

ICU812

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to CPF. That was a good price. Red is a good version.

Can you be more specific about what kind of accessories you mean?

Sure, sorry for not posting in advance. I was looking for a belt holster or maybe even a shock cord lanyard for it. I could probably make my own but Surefire's stuff is usually top notch.

ICU812

Newly Enlightened
So I've noticed my Aviator doesn't allow for the head to be pulled out and twisted. It only rotates. The instructions say rotate as well and nothing about pulling and turning. I guess Surefire has updated the design? There is a negative to this and let me explain. When the light is in red mode you have to twist counter clockwise to get to "off" and then "white." Naturally to get the battery out you have to take the head off which requires twisting in the same direction. When rotating counter clockwise to change modes it can sometimes begin to twist the entire head off. The only way to fix it was to really tighten the head on with a death grip and then it doesn't turn anymore when changing modes. Other than that, I love the light. It is a dream to carry.

Nephron44

Enlightened
So I've noticed my Aviator doesn't allow for the head to be pulled out and twisted. It only rotates. The instructions say rotate as well and nothing about pulling and turning. I guess Surefire has updated the design? There is a negative to this and let me explain. When the light is in red mode you have to twist counter clockwise to get to "off" and then "white." Naturally to get the battery out you have to take the head off which requires twisting in the same direction. When rotating counter clockwise to change modes it can sometimes begin to twist the entire head off. The only way to fix it was to really tighten the head on with a death grip and then it doesn't turn anymore when changing modes. Other than that, I love the light. It is a dream to carry.

I agree. I bought the updated version and promptly returned it...too many accidental mode changes for me to be able to rely on it. In my opinion, this "update" only made the light worse :/

Lumen83

Enlightened

See, I don't get why they did this. One of the biggest reasons I got rid of mine was because the UI was not conducive to my needs at all. But, I would also have stated that it was a purpose built light. Aviators probably want to make sure the light is locked into the secondary color if they are trying to preserve their night vision. That way they don't accidentally set it on white and ruin it. But now I hear they are doing away with that locking feature?? Why? Now you are making it worse for aviators and you aren't really making it any better for EDC either. I don't get it. I wanted to love this light but I just can't. The UI just doesn't work for me, the beams were off-centered in the two that I tried, and both lights had the flickering on low issues. This is a light that came close to being awesome but just fell a little short in my opinion.

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast

interesting. I just picked up one off of fleabay and it was the pull and twist and although you can switch from color to white very fast it does make it almost impossible to accidentally activate white and mess up your adapted vision. It's a feature I learned to appreciate. Not I'll have to hunt for the pull and twist models in other colors. Does the update version come with the shrouded tailcap or is it the tailcap with a protruding button?

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, so I decided to make a video of the light on Youtube. I talk a little bit about the way the light functions with the update. https://youtu.be/hM58LcGiLWc

Excellent video! I just posted a comment on it. It's interesting they made the change to the operation of the head. I wonder if it's to improve the water tightness of the assembly. Either way, I really like the execution of this light. Especially the beam pattern. It's not the cleanest and it would probably drive a person with OCD tendencies insane, but in practical use, it does extremely well. Plenty of throw.

Another interesting thing you demonstrated is the color led dimming after initial turn on. I'm not sure what the purpose of that operation would be. On the version I have the light does have this ramp-on effect where it's not an instant on but a quick ramp-up-to-on for the low settings of both white and amber.

Last edited:

ICU812

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for your thoughts and commenting. I believe you're right about the water tightness as that would make the most sense for the change. I'm not 100% sold on as to why it ramps down like it does. I was using a brand new battery and tried multiple batteries to rule that aspect out.

Salmonfacesalad

Newly Enlightened
Ok, so I decided to make a video of the light on Youtube. I talk a little bit about the way the light functions with the update. https://youtu.be/hM58LcGiLWc

I had an Amber one when this thread started. It had the pull up to twist feature and was firm when interfacing. Not easily twisted. I now have a (newer version???) red one. It is easily twisted from white to off or red, much easier then the red one in your video. Mine however does not ramp down to the correct lumen level. Once I click it, it does not change. Either red or white it doesn't ramp down. I don't remember the amber one doing that. I do believe the amber one had a flicker on low white though. Can you pm a link to your local store. If they ship out I'm gonna buy one from them

Last edited:

ICU812

Newly Enlightened
Can you pm a link to your local store. If they ship out I'm buy one from them

Google Hyatt Gun store. They are out of Charlotte NC. The owner's name is Larry. I've been doing business with them for over a decade. Good people. Largest gun store I've ever been to.