Surefire E1B MaxVision discussion

jodoma

Newly Enlightened
Received mine today. Really liking the clip so far. Beam pattern is beautiful.
586a5bd8fcc9f14e1aabacbcf9705161.jpg

6705d4d666d31521449415012c74134f.jpg
6905a24fa799c5bff375c8e2b42fa254.jpg

JohnSmith

Enlightened
I kind of want one of these lights now. I think a Surefire Z68 tailcap would look pretty good on it.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh very nice. I was expecting a reflector similar to the Titan line.

kssmith

Enlightened
Oh very nice. I was expecting a reflector similar to the Titan line.

I was thinking the same thing about the reflector. I was dubious at first when it came in, and then I had to wait all day for a good test of the light. But I've had one now for around 1.5 weeks, and really love it. The beam is great, size is right. I'm really impressed with it. This and my UM2 are my two main lights to carry now.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I also got a Surefire E1b MV.
It's about what I expected. I like it. The head is smaller and more tapered than recent TIR E-series heads. It works fine with a 16650 in a 2 cell E-series body. Low output in reality is about 9-10 lumens. Tint is slightly to the greenish/yellow side.

Last edited:

Flashlight Dave

Enlightened
The Backup series was greatly in need of a broader beam pattern. I never understood the purpose of a one cell pocket light that compresses 200 lm into a space laser death ray. Generally, I need my edc light for closer tasks and I have larger, dedicated thrower type lights for distance applications. The new E1B MV is a welcome change, but I agree with Kamerat. This new light is too much like a Malkoff MD2 or an Elzetta Alpha, both of which are substantially cheaper and have fully potted electronics.
I assume you are both talking about the EDC and not the MD2. If so I was wondering if anyone new if the beams are similar?

The Backup series was greatly in need of a broader beam pattern. I never understood the purpose of a one cell pocket light that compresses 200 lm into a space laser death ray. Generally, I need my edc light for closer tasks and I have larger, dedicated thrower type lights for distance applications. The new E1B MV is a welcome change, but I agree with Kamerat. This new light is too much like a Malkoff MD2 or an Elzetta Alpha, both of which are substantially cheaper and have fully potted electronics.

Apropos of nothing I really didn't mind the narrow beam of my old E1b lights. IMO it helped make up for the fact that they were 'only' 110 lumens. Funny- I used to think I would be buried with an E1b in my pocket but now both of them are gone, replaced by three MDC's and an Elzetta Alpha. I don't want to dog on the venerable old light but the MDC is better in every way, at least for me. The new E1b MV seems like a good product but it seems to best the MDC only on max output.

And just what is "MaxVision"? I gather from this thread that it's simply a reflector with a patentable tweak in the shape? I will reserve judgement til I see one but I'm a little skeptical and burnt out on twenty-five-cent buzzwords.

Flashlight Dave

Enlightened
Just want to add my two cents. I got mine a couple days ago. It is wonderful! The low and high are about perfect. The low is brighter than 5 lumens. The current is 1.7 amps on high and .02 on low. I'm wondering how long the battery will last.

hatman

Enlightened
How is the tint -- still a greenish cool white?

Does it run well on rechargeable lithium ions?

JPA261

Flashlight Enthusiast
My high is more a white but the low does have the greenish tint.

As far as using rechargeables, can't say on account I don't have any to test out

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Funny how Surefire with that price tag manages to place a LED off center...
I don't think the LED is off center in this particular case. For me it seems Sean does not place the lens of the camera in corresponding to the reflector center.

You can see a little bit of the "bump" in the middle of the E1B head on the left-top of the image. :) I think Sean knows more :poke:

Last edited:

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
How is the tint -- still a greenish cool white?

Does it run well on rechargeable lithium ions?

Mine is slightly greenish/yellow & yes it runs great on lithium ions.

Funny how Surefire with that price tag manages to place a LED off center...

Yes, it does appear to be slightly off center, but not nearly as bad as some of the Titans were. I've white wall hunted the light and could not find any consequence to the LED being slightly off center, probably due to the way the reflector diffuses the light. I do realize inconsequential things can really bother people though.

Last edited: