Surefire E1B!

SimpleIsGood229

Newly Enlightened
You know, I got the light today -- and it's very nice, but definitely the most ringy surefire I've ever owned. Not to the point where it would be an issue in real world use, but not like any surefire I have--all of which have perfectly flawless beams. This one has a slightly flawed hotspot, and a dark ring around the hotspot. Less visible in distance shots.

Guess I'm spoiled by all my OP reflectors...
That's pretty much life with LED + optic. While this set up is definitely not as good in the beam quality as an OP reflector, it allows more throw from within a small bezel.

Oh, and get a Malkoff for one of your 6P's! Since you're into incandescents, I suggest the M60W.

Muddquez

Newly Enlightened
I just got my E1B today from LA Police Gear when they were on sale for $100.
Now I know what everyone is talking about. This is a very cool little light. I'm almost sorry I waited so long to buy one. I'll have to play with it for a while before I decide to EDC. If the low was lower It would be an easier choice.

foxtrot29

Enlightened
DO IT.... They're truly wonderful... and from what I hear the new warm models are a wonderful tint... saving up for one as we speak... lol

And for the record... Gene and Cathy are customer service gods!!

Oh, I'm well aware of Malkoff! I want an M60, but I don't want to put it in one of my current hosts -- I'm searching around ebay for a good deal on a Surefire Z2 to host one.... :twothumbs

Also, I'm keeping it to a nice slow process, in the hope that Gene manages to score some R2 stock before I buy one -- it's only a matter of time I think...

As for the E1B, I took it outside tonight and man was I impressed! The throw on this little thing is amazing! The optic really does it's job for distance spotting. I'm on duty tonight and plan to take it out on a field test, alongside my Streamlight Strion.

e2x2e

Enlightened
I just got my E1B today from LA Police Gear when they were on sale for $100.
Now I know what everyone is talking about. This is a very cool little light. I'm almost sorry I waited so long to buy one. I'll have to play with it for a while before I decide to EDC. If the low was lower It would be an easier choice.

That is an awesome deal! I paid $110 from the same place, but BEFORE they raised the price. It is a great light though, I'm happy with it.

EDIT: The beam isn't anything impressive on a white wall. But outside, the throw is awesome. I guess more flood would be nice, but it isn't really a big deal.

SunStar

Enlightened
love my E1B... it's EDC. Haven't really noticed a "ringy" beam on mine.

The Z68 is a nice addition for grip and tail stand capability as others have noted.

foxtrot29

Enlightened
love my E1B... it's EDC. Haven't really noticed a "ringy" beam on mine.

The Z68 is a nice addition for grip and tail stand capability as others have noted.

Don't get me wrong, it's not too ringy, just not the flawless beam I usually get from Surefire. However this will be my first Surefire with a smooth reflector + optic. I can only notice it on the wall :) I'm not picky enough to care, it's perfect for real world use.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just ordered mine for $99 NIB delivered to CA. I will be using it with my E to C adaptor from Surefire along with a 6P head/ M30.

The switch is in the tailcap, so I will have my Makoff 230 lumens for fun, but the lower output for daily use.:D:D:D

Oh, the clip will allow me to wear it bezel down.;)

warpdrive

Enlightened
I'll toss in some more E1B love

This is the perfect EDC surefire, good throw with just enough spill for walking outdoors, plain black smooth suave looks looks (dressed for the night out), nice tactile clicky, cool reversible clip, and just small enough to be really an EDC that disappears when you need it, but powerful enough to be a primary light. The low level is a good level for reading in the dark without blinding yourself.

I bought mine before the price increase and now that it's $150, I tend to treat it nicer since I wouldn't want to replace it at the new full price.

I do find that the tailcap switches errractically (causing it to jump brightness modes) if I don't tighten it reasonably tight, and my tailcap spring makes some springy noises that I don't get with my other Surefire tailcaps, but otherwise it works like a champ.

The thing about Surefire TIR optics is that the beam won't be perfect, always slightly ringy, especially since some of the LED's are slightly off center, which really shows up in the beam profile. My E1B hotspot is slightly squashed on one side but it's not noticeable in real use...only wall hunting. It used to bother me after coming from the beautiful beams of my HDS and Novatac lights.

H2Orower

Enlightened
The E1B and Z68 combo is tops in my book! The slippery factor is a thing of the past once you add the Z68 tailcap. Amongst the Surefire lights that I currently own, my E1B beam impresses me the most. It has a perfectly defined round shape with no dark spots and no ringyness. The tint is wonderful. Brightness still amazes me, regardless of it's small size. Throw is incredible. The low mode is tremendously useful. The silent momentary on and clicky constant on high/low switching is perfect in my book - wouldn't change a thing! Can't say enough about this little dynamo. :clap:

img1623kk8.jpg

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ya, H2Orower's little E1B/Z68 combo seduced so many people. It's more than looks though that tail-cap really adds to the ergonomics of the light and just makes it super. The price increase was very unfortunate because if you have to pay retail for the Z68 on top of the current price I feel it is just too much. Surefire should create a E1B-A that is shipped with the Z68, at the current retail price. This way they could get their extra dough and we'd get much better value. Maybe we'll see it at SHOT-2009, at least it is something they could deliver with less than an 18month delay.

Zenster

Enlightened
Like most CPF'ers, I tend to baby my lights, so almost all of the 35+ lights I have still look new, except...

I need an EDC light for at work that I use throughout the day for setting up equipment and maintenance where you have to peer into dark areas inside.
It turns out that of all my lights, the E1B is perfect for such use and abuse.
Yes, I said abuse, because in the course of a typical day, I drop it at least twice from the shear amount of handling of it I have to do, and it gets all grimey and covered with dirty grease as well.

I occasionally file the edges smooth where it's dropped onto the edge of the bezel, and at the end of the day, I often smear a bunch of hand soap all over it and wash it under the faucet to get the grease off.
After over a year of this, the darn thing just keeps going and going and going. Never missed a beat and never let me down.

So I like the light for it's suitability at work, but I've gotten really attached to it for it's ability to take abuse and still perform.

Yea, I like this little E1B... a lot.