SureFire EDC1-DFT and EDC2-DFT

Lights and Guns

Newly Enlightened
Considering I've been waiting for them to drop this light for so long I'll probably end up grabbing one to test it out and play around with it. But to be honest, not loving the aesthetics of it… think something like the modlites much more appealing…looks wise at least.

Though the biggest selling point to me is having high/low output option… over the modlite 1 mode only. Been carrying the modlite for 3+ years right now and it's held up great absolutely nothing bad to say about it, with that said I have had to carry another smaller light for tasks that needed less output, so somewhat annoying in that aspect, having to carry 2 lights.

Wish modlite gave you the option of single output or high/low… would make them much more utilitarian.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Less output? That's what smaller or key chain lights are for.. Currently have a CR2032 coin cell and 1AAA light on there. Clicking through modes is generally a very annoying and unnecessary hassle to me on a main light. The only time modes are done right for me is when there is actually an adjustable presetting on the light's controls itself, like some type of ring. But I prefer none.

pancakeayaka

Newly Enlightened
Considering I've been waiting for them to drop this light for so long I'll probably end up grabbing one to test it out and play around with it. But to be honest, not loving the aesthetics of it… think something like the modlites much more appealing…looks wise at least.

Though the biggest selling point to me is having high/low output option… over the modlite 1 mode only. Been carrying the modlite for 3+ years right now and it's held up great absolutely nothing bad to say about it, with that said I have had to carry another smaller light for tasks that needed less output, so somewhat annoying in that aspect, having to carry 2 lights.

Wish modlite gave you the option of single output or high/low… would make them much more utilitarian.
The 3-piece EDC-DFT head looks too long and cumbersome....

Lights and Guns

Newly Enlightened
The 3-piece EDC-DFT head looks too long and cumbersome....
Yeah, it just looks plain ole ugly…
It's tempting to play around with only because surefire has been behind the game for years now and seem to be catching up a bit, but honestly don't think I'll be grabbing one.

Also don't like how high its candela is. For a handheld I think that much candela is rather pointless, makes much more sense on a long gun with glass. I think 50k-60k candela is better suited for a handhelds general use case for the majority of people.

At the end of the day being a flashaholic I'll prob grab 1 to mess around with! But for a multitude of reasons I highly doubt it'll replace my modlite.

Lights and Guns

Newly Enlightened
Less output? That's what smaller or key chain lights are for.. Currently have a CR2032 coin cell and 1AAA light on there. Clicking through modes is generally a very annoying and unnecessary hassle to me on a main light. The only time modes are done right for me is when there is actually an adjustable presetting on the light's controls itself, like some type of ring. But I prefer none.
I'm not asking for these lights to be made with less output, I'm simply asking for the company (modlite) to offer their lights with both options from factory. Single output or dual output. Can be something as simple as when the heads fully rotated tight it's on high, when the head is loosened just a bit it's on low mode, like the malkoff lights… there's nothing that can go wrong… just be disciplined and learn to carry it staged either in the low or high mode depending what your needs are. The light becomes much more versatile, and doesn't give anything up in a tactical environment, if you wear a duty belt keep it staged to turn on high, no finicky buttons to press or anything, just turn on and it's high.

Obviously it's not the end of the world to have to carry a second light for lower modes, I've been doing it for 3-4 years now. But a little inconvenient for sure, also sucks because you have to carry different types of batteries as spares in that case.

Mr. LED

Enlightened
IMG_0419.jpeg

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
I guess if you are looking for a super small surefire light, you could always get an EB1 Back Up with the max vision beam. Its smaller than the E1E executive light.

Lights and Guns

Newly Enlightened
how long is 1500lumens? is it till battery is out of power.
Impossible.

It MIGHT put out 1500 lumens at turn on for about 10 seconds or so. Then start to drop down significantly very quickly.

All these outputs / spec sheets nowadays are complete nonsense. Including modlite, cloud defensive ect.

I'm sure you've heard of modlite, as much as I like their lights, but by the 15 minute mark of being on, the light is only at HALF the output stated by the company.

Then you have a brand like Malkoff, that has a truthful spec sheet, after testing at the 15 minute mark something like the E2XTL head only dropped 6% (as opposed to modlites 50%)

Side by side at turn on, modlite wins, but because they push the battery so herd, by the 5 minute mark the malkoff takes over, and continues to sustain its output without any significant drop. Meanwhile modlite or CD continue to step down.
Also, it's worth mentioning the CD lights have been tested by two or three people online and they found the CD lights don't even reach the stated specs even at turn on. Not sure how they are able yo get away with that.

Anyway, that's enough rambling!
To have sustained 1500 lumens you'd need a much larger light that runs on multiple cells. Shame so many companies today falsely advertise and mislead their customers.

Wild how modlite list their lights at 1350 lumens with a runtime of 75 minutes, meanwhile by the 15 minute mark it's only pushing out 50% of stated specs.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I buy the highest lumen (believable) rated USA lights I can get for my purposes, knowing that the claimed max lumens will drop like a rock. Start with more, you usually end with more. Example: 1,000 lumens claimed, will likely settle to 500-600 lumens, plus or minus for awhile. 600 lumens claimed, will likely settle to something like 250-300 lumens, plus or minus. Start with more, expect less, but more than if you started with less. Best to buy 2x what you think you want/need, IMO.

Lights and Guns

Newly Enlightened
I buy the highest lumen (believable) rated USA lights I can get for my purposes, knowing that the claimed max lumens will drop like a rock. Start with more, you usually end with more. Example: 1,000 lumens claimed, will likely settle to 500-600 lumens, plus or minus for awhile. 600 lumens claimed, will likely settle to something like 250-300 lumens, plus or minus. Start with more, expect less, but more than if you started with less. Best to buy 2x what you think you want/need, IMO.
Haha isn't it a shame that's the approach we need to take?

I think seeking out a company that offers truthful spec sheets is paramount.

The malkoff E2XTL turns on at about 527 lumens (even tho malkoff advertise it at only 500)
At 15 minutes it's putting out 494 … so it's stable and sustains what's advertised.

The modlite OKW turns on at about 670 lumens as advertised but at 15 minutes is only outputting 337 lumens, which is ridiculous (considering they make no mention of the step down in their marketing or anywhere on their website).

Tons of companies are this way, and it's a shame, they are just trying to attract buyers so companies keep pushing the spec sheet up, with higher numbers with no regard to what it does to the back end…

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haha isn't it a shame that's the approach we need to take?

I think seeking out a company that offers truthful spec sheets is paramount.

The malkoff E2XTL turns on at about 527 lumens (even tho malkoff advertise it at only 500)
At 15 minutes it's putting out 494 … so it's stable and sustains what's advertised.

The modlite OKW turns on at about 670 lumens as advertised but at 15 minutes is only outputting 337 lumens, which is ridiculous (considering they make no mention of the step down in their marketing or anywhere on their website).

Tons of companies are this way, and it's a shame, they are just trying to attract buyers so companies keep pushing the spec sheet up, with higher numbers with no regard to what it does to the back end…
They are playing the game according to the FL1 play book. I can't blame them, business is business. Malkoff is to be commended for over-delivering. Better to give a little bit more than promised than a little less than promised.

Latest posts