SureFire EDC1-DFT and EDC2-DFT

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
I look at the previous picture, it seems there is a gap. Most likely, a weak mode of operation will be, as in a tactician, by unscrewing the head. I looked at Cree XP-P again, it has up to 700 lm, 550 lm will be just with all the losses and if it is not overheated. This is just my personal guess, we'll see.

1646896359152.png

Lumen83

Enlightened
That will be a bummer for me. I'm sure the tactical community will be happy with it. But a narrow beam with a tight hot spot and a tactician UI doesn't make for much of an EDC light outside of a small percentage of the population using it for some type of duty/tactical/etc.. And that is fine. I'm sure it will be great for that. I was just hoping for more of an EDC light for an every day kind of guy.

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got the answers on their facebook page on March 9.
Check the comments on their post: "SureFire Flank shirts are in stock. Get yours now at: "

Two people asked about UI and release date. In short, the answer is mid-April and the UI is High-Low similar to the Defender series.

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please describe the UI of the Defender series for those who are unfamiliar with it.
It basically starts on High (550 Lumens) on the first press of the tailcap. Press until it clicks for constant ON.
Press the button the 2nd time within about 2 seconds from the first press and it will switch to Low output (25 Lumens).

The switching method is also similar to the G2X Pro and 6PX Pro. It is just that this one starts on High always.

Lumen83

Enlightened
Thats bad news probably for most of us. Decent UI for certain applications, but not one that many of us are going to appreciate for EDC. I was really excited to buy my first new production Surefire in years. But I'm going to have to pass.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
That will be a bummer for me. I'm sure the tactical community will be happy with it. But a narrow beam with a tight hot spot and a tactician UI doesn't make for much of an EDC light outside of a small percentage of the population using it for some type of duty/tactical/etc.. And that is fine. I'm sure it will be great for that. I was just hoping for more of an EDC light for an every day kind of guy.
A narrow beam with a tight hot-spot isn't even ideal for tactical applications. You want a good mix. Very bright hot-spot but with tons of spill to identify a potential threat that you might have to engage.

michaex

Enlightened
It's still only speculation on the tailcap. According to product pages from page 2 of the thread, 1 cell was supposed to be a clicky and 2 cell gas pedal.

Time will tell :)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
It's still only speculation on the tailcap. According to product pages from page 2 of the thread, 1 cell was supposed to be a clicky and 2 cell gas pedal.

Time will tell :)
We won't know until one of us has it in their warm, addicted hands; after it's available to buy online.

Lumen83

Enlightened
A narrow beam with a tight hot-spot isn't even ideal for tactical applications. You want a good mix. Very bright hot-spot but with tons of spill to identify a potential threat that you might have to engage.
It very well may be that way, too. I should retract my claims about the beam pattern. I have no real knowledge of what it is like. I'm assuming it is a really tight and narrow beam based on the high candella vs. lumens numbers, which I am also not an expert in, and one video on the turbo series. So, maybe I will be wrong about the beam pattern. But I also can't get over the UI for an EDC light. Makes sense in tactical applications (I think. I'm no expert), but I really don't like clicky lights with high on first. Gas pedal solves the high on first issue, because it comes on right away if you push all the way, but doesn't come on if you dont.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
In the SureFire realm EDC is a tactical thing. It refers to self defense capable items carried everyday. Inkpen, knife, pistol, lighting tool etc. Then one day the term caught on for campers, hikers, outdoorsy types and the like. But it began as a term for people who place their life on the line everyday like cops, firefighters and other first responders.

Now regarding the beam, if folks remember the EB1c had a tight beam. So did the EDCL series. The E series going back to incan has largely been thrower flashlights. They have enough spill to keep the user from tripping over tree roots. But the new crop is like a laser as in meant to pierce darkened glass in order for a patrolman to see inside a car with tinted windows. A spready beam will blind the police officer from flashback while the perp laughs at ole Barney Fife. It can also be used for search and rescue along with other uses where a high intensity throw is helpful.

Always, always, always remember SureFire lights are targeted to military, first responders and special ops types. So whenever they put out a new product it has that market in mind.

Lumen83

Enlightened
Thank you for the great explanations, byfixer. That all makes a lot of sense. I didn't realize that "EDC" originated on the tactical side of things and made its way to the ordinary joe like me thereafter. The one thing I have to say though, is I find the EDCL1-T to have a very wide beam pattern. I call it a little bid floody. I love it, don't get me wrong. I honestly think it may be the perfect beam pattern for people like me to EDC.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the SureFire realm EDC is a tactical thing. It refers to self defense capable items carried everyday. Inkpen, knife, pistol, lighting tool etc. Then one day the term caught on for campers, hikers, outdoorsy types and the like. But it began as a term for people who place their life on the line everyday like cops, firefighters and other first responders.

Now regarding the beam, if folks remember the EB1c had a tight beam. So did the EDCL series. The E series going back to incan has largely been thrower flashlights. They have enough spill to keep the user from tripping over tree roots. But the new crop is like a laser as in meant to pierce darkened glass in order for a patrolman to see inside a car with tinted windows. A spready beam will blind the police officer from flashback while the perp laughs at ole Barney Fife. It can also be used for search and rescue along with other uses where a high intensity throw is helpful.

Always, always, always remember SureFire lights are targeted to military, first responders and special ops types. So whenever they put out a new product it has that market in mind.

This is but one (of a number of) ways in which SL and SF differ. SL, while heavily targeting the LEO/TAC user market segment with many products, also targets a broader selection of user market segments than SF. This is reflected (among other ways, such as UI options, which are already mentioned in this thread) in the fact that they offer lights with different dispersion / 'beam patterns', often indicated by HL / HPL prefixes in model names etc. SF (IMO) doesn't really design for / target a variety of user segments. It just isn't a core part of their product / marketing strategy.

EDIT: SL's '10-Tap' is yet another example of SL's desire to make lights that target and serve well in a wider variety of market segments (and user preferences). I'm no SF expert (never owned one), but I don't think SF does anything like that either.

Last edited:

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
I have been waiting for something to replace my P1R. I am glad that Surefire is pushing now for duel fuel lights for general carry or work use.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is but one (of a number of) ways in which SL and SF differ. SL, while heavily targeting the LEO/TAC user market segment with many products, also targets a broader selection of user market segments than SF. This is reflected (among other ways, such as UI options, which are already mentioned in this thread) in the fact that they offer lights with different dispersion / 'beam patterns', often indicated by HL / HPL prefixes in model names etc. SF (IMO) doesn't really design for / target a variety of user segments. It just isn't a core part of their product / marketing strategy.

EDIT: SL's '10-Tap' is yet another example of SL's desire to make lights that target and serve well in a wider variety of market segments (and user preferences). I'm no SF expert (never owned one), but I don't think SF does anything like that either.

I neglected to get to the larger point for me personally: If these new models use a 'tap/double-tap, H-L' interface that would be perfect for me, as it matches my current usual carry light. With that, and their long-awaited embrace of lithium ion power now, I could well be lookin' at my first Surefire ever!
EDIT: P. S. I would, however, very much like to see an FL-1 compliant impact rating.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Thank you for the great explanations, byfixer. That all makes a lot of sense. I didn't realize that "EDC" originated on the tactical side of things and made its way to the ordinary joe like me thereafter. The one thing I have to say though, is I find the EDCL1-T to have a very wide beam pattern. I call it a little bid floody. I love it, don't get me wrong. I honestly think it may be the perfect beam pattern for people like me to EDC.
I doubt the EDC DFT beam will be like a snoot beam, as in looks like you stuck an empty toilet paper roll over the flashlight to kill all spill. It should have plenty of spill for times like warehouse raids or that sort of duty like the EDBL-series.

AZ, Streamlights first consumer (if you will) flashlight was a thrower around 1973 or 4 that was used mainly by boaters due to it's heavy weight and high cost. But they opted to go into LEO role a few years later and also bought Kel-Lite, which helped them compete with Maglite. By the time the SureFire 6 had hit the market Streamlight was already entrenched in the minds of many Americans as a brand that was an alternative to Maglite.
They and SureFire generally played nice together. "I'll go my way you go your way" kinda thing. Streamlight had crossed swords with Maglite, got their ear cut off and nearly bled to death. They stamped a bezel of their 2D clone called Excailber without permission from the patent owner Maglite.

Later when SureFire needed light bulbs and Streamlight needed cash a deal was struck. The SureFire 6 had bulbs from a Scorpion for a time. But now each has their corner of the market.

Latest posts