Surefire EDCL1-T

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have a ton of lights that only use primaries as voltage is to high for rechargables.

looking to get a few for the 1t

from what im reading the k2s from SF and efest imr's seem to be mentioned alot and have seemed to be reliable in this light. please stear me otherwise if not.

another question, has anyone tried the tailstand shroud on this model? it seems it would be ok to use on the tacticion as the whole tailcap doesnt move but i was curious as for the gas pedal switch.

Safest for the EDCL1T would be the K2 which are not the best in terms of runtime but would be closest to the voltage of a primary CR123. Mine work great and charge to 3.4volts when full, with approximately 30minutes runtime in high.

The true 700+mAh cells like the Fenix, Vapcell and Klarus 16340s will give the best runtime of around 40min + on high but are officially unsupported by Surefire. Some members use them though. No need for IMR s on this light as the current draw is not high enough to warrant that chemistry. Some members may prefer IMRs because of no low voltage cutoff, just like the K2 energy LiFePo4 cells.

Lumen83

Enlightened
from what im reading the k2s from SF and efest imr's seem to be mentioned alot and have seemed to be reliable in this light. please stear me otherwise if not.

The K2s have been working fine for me for a couple of years.

coffeeandlifting

Newly Enlightened
K2 LFP123 and most other LiFePO4 "123" size cells run perfectly in the L1T.
LFP is a great chemistry for 1x123 lights IME. The regulation is usually superior to a primary cell. Output is perfectly flat for the duration of the runtime due to the higher forward voltage (despite equal nominal voltage, which is also good). The only downside is reduced total runtime and the super quick dropoff from full output to dead at the end of the runtime. I just carry a spare cell in my bag.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad to hear extended use doesnt affect the light
There wouldn't be an issue as K2 is LiFePO4 which runs basically the same voltage as primary cells. But, several have been running regular 4.2V 16340's in SF's single cell lights without issue as well just so you know[emoji106].

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
My EDCL1-T runs just fine off of primaries. Interesting to see other users using 16340s without frying the light with the extra voltage. May give that a try.

wicky998

Flashlight Enthusiast
There wouldn't be an issue as K2 is LiFePO4 which runs basically the same voltage as primary cells. But, several have been running regular 4.2V 16340's in SF's single cell lights without issue as well just so you know[emoji106].

thanks always tac!

wicky998

Flashlight Enthusiast
About to place an order for some KP 16340s for this light

Along with some 18650s and 16650s for others

Hoping I get a discount code lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Lumen83

Enlightened
I do like the KPs in this light. But man, the run time is short. I swap them for charged cells very often if I've used the light much to avoid getting stuck in the dark.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just use unprotected IMR16340(I recommend Efest or Vapcell) and/or unprotected Sanyo UR16650ZTA(preferably charged to 4.35V) guys and swap out when you notice it drop out of regulation. You will get nice flat regulation with a slow gradual taper giving you plenty of useable light until for can swap cells or ever get close to the 2.5V end voltage of most cells.

Protected cells not only leave you in the dark when the output is cut abruptly when the low voltage protection on the mpcb cuts in but, the mpcb is also prone to sudden failure(especially when exposed to shock). Both of these scenarios can leave you in a world of trouble depending in your usage.

wicky998

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recall someone here naming the clicky tailcap that works on this body?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

akula88

Enlightened
^ Yes, correct G. It was mentioned by bykfixer at the EDCL2-T thread (page 24).

We don't do that around here B.

<snip...>

I converted my EDCL2-T to a single mode clicky (with an EB1c tailcap) where I take advantage of the lockout feature and use a twist motion to turn it on. The gas pedal went to an EB1c I bought for the pencil beam to peer into pipes and manholes.

J_C_S

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone else had issues running rechargeables in this? I'm wondering if I should try the foursevens 16340s.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone else had issues running rechargeables in this? I'm wondering if I should try the foursevens 16340s.

I've been using rechargeables in this light for a couple of years now with great results. However some folks including you have recently reported faulty mode changes with some batteries. Perhaps there has been a new driver circuit installed. My early EDCL1-T, EDCL2-T and EB1-MV all seem to run great with unprotected IMR 16340's.

Thumb through the last ten pages or so of this long thread for some battery opinions.

For example:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...fire-EDCL1-T&p=5263820&viewfull=1#post5263820

Last edited: