Surefire EDCL1-T

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Re: Surefire EDCL1-T Runtime Tests

Thanks for the beam shots in that style Jose.
It's kinda like 'the history of' sequence.

It also fit right into some questions I've had but never saw answers to.

Looks like the extra hundred lumen EB1 opened the spot more. Then the EDCL1-T even more, but still retain the E pencil beam from the incan days.

I opted for a 2-T early on for the wow factor. Yet so far I've ended up prefering the beam of the EB1 (200) more often. Your beam shots are making it hard not to pull the trigger on a 1-T though. :sweat:

Jose Marin

Enlightened

What the edcl1-t has on the eb1 200 lumen is a more useful low beam when walking outside, the 200 lumen eb1 i find my self searching too much on low. Its also nice to be able to hit low with out having to go through high first but if you want high first just mash the button down. I think it's a worthy addition or replacement for the eb1 especially since it has the same runtime on high because of the 1 minute step down.

bykfixer

Flashaholic

I tried the 'gas pedal' tailcap from my 2-T on an EB1 to get a feel for a 1-T. Definitely on my list of lights this year.
But unlike years before I'm trying to stick to 1 a month. The EDCL1-T was next until I saw an aviator body with a black smooth bezel E incan head and z68 for sale.

Maybe next month. lol

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Oh well, finally got hold of one.

Loving the wider beam on low compared to my E1D, and also loving the whiter tint, the wider beam on high lights up a more useful swath in front but the spill is nothing to sneeze at, too.

I am now back to the two stage switch for EDC, years after losing my L1 and rotating out the longer LX2.

Love it!!!

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast

Oh well, finally got hold of one.

After waxing nostalgic about the L1 on another thread, I succumbed to temptation and ordered an EDCL-1T for scientific comparison purposes. ;)

B&H has the light for a very competitive unadvertised price in the cart. :paypal:

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great price for L1t.. I have read mixed reviews about B&H.. Paypal is a plus, please post impressions after receiving
Thx..

HitFactor

Newly Enlightened

Great price for L1t.. I have read mixed reviews about B&H.. Paypal is a plus, please post impressions after receiving
Thx..
B&H Photo, nothing but the best. I've been buying from them for a decade at least.

JPA261

Flashlight Enthusiast
This price makes this tempting...but I'm leaning toward the D3FT.

I have both and actually enjoy the D3FT slightly more but depends on what you use it for. I use this on duty and I really like using the Surefire/rogers grip technique and having just one output. Only downside is the pocket clip really stinks. Makes it really hard to put in the pocket.

kssmith

Enlightened
I have both and actually enjoy the D3FT slightly more but depends on what you use it for. I use this on duty and I really like using the Surefire/rogers grip technique and having just one output. Only downside is the pocket clip really stinks. Makes it really hard to put in the pocket.

Good to know. Yes this would be a duty type light. I have a more admin job now, but I still get on the road.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thx..

I've had good experiences with B&H for years while buying camera equipment and electronics. They appear to have sale prices on a couple of other current Surefire lights as well as this one.

Just got the EDCL-1T delivered by FedEx, some early observations. The tint is a little greenish (or golden yellow) compared to an EDCL-2T and a E1B-MV but white compared to older SureFire's. As usual, the green tint seems more pronounced on low mode. The clip does indeed scrape the tailcap when you turn the light on. Somebody else said their EDCL-1T tailcap was a little dry out of the package and I thought mine was as well. I found my lifetime supply jar of Nyogel 760G and put a dollop on the threads and O-rings at both ends. The tailcap still feels a little tight compared to the seemingly identical one on my EDCL-2T, you can feel the spring vibrate a little when you twist the cap like on some of the old L1's.

I like to use rechargeable batteries whenever possible and save my CR123A's for backup and Y3K. A Fenix RCR123A in the drawer would only power the light in low mode. No load voltage on the Fenix cell was still about 4.0 after the test so I'm thinking the problem is a voltage drop due to the high current draw. I charged the Fenix cell to 4.2 volts and still got only low mode.

Surprisingly, an old AW RCR123A runs the light fine on high power for several minutes before going dark. Cycling the power allows the light to come back on for a while longer.

I put an unprotected Exell IMR 16340 in the -1T. After 25 minutes on high the light dimmed visibly (but would still switch between high and low) and at 35 minutes it started to flicker. At that point I discontinued the test and the battery read 2.12 volts when put into the Nitecore D4 charger. That's lower than I like to run even an IMR but it is good to know that the EDCL-1T has a nice tail of usable light as the battery depletes.

As with the EDCL-2T and E1B-MV, it looks to me like IMR cells are the way to go if you want to use rechargeable batteries on this high current draw light.

Low level on the -1T looks like the advertised five lumens, it seems much brighter on the EDCL-2T.

The hotspot is larger and perhaps a little more diffuse to my eye than the one on the -2T.

I get a very nostalgic 'back to the future' feeling handling EDCL-1T after comparing it to some L1's in the drawer. With the beautiful CNC knurling it seems to be a direct descendant of the pre-E1B lights of the golden PK era.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thx..

in case you still have any doubts about buying from them, I got my EDCL1T from them in less than 4.5 days between submitting the online order and receiving it at my doorstep, coast to coast.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
B&H is ok. I bought some camera stuff from them a while ago and they did good.

Flashlights? Haven't tried that yet. But they do seem to get products early compared to other sellers. Maybe because they are a high volume seller? I prefer to get lights from flashlight dealers. But B&H is ok.

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had mine for a few months now, and it is still my favorite.

I am still on my first CR123, with use mostly on low and bursts of a few minutes on high.

I noticed compared to my E1DL, it is quite frugal if you use mostly low, even if they have mostly the same advertised runtime on high.

No doubt this ia due to not having to waste power to momentarily blast light on max then cycling to low. Need more, then press further.

That's what made my L1 and LX2 my favorites during their heyday, even if higher output lights were readily available.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does this light get really warm after a minute like the 2-T does?

Yep, it gets hot as a two-dollar pistol on the IMR's that I'm using. I just did a run with a 4Sevens protected IMR cell. The light got too warm to comfortably hold at the head, the body seemed to stabilize at a toasty but tolerable heat.

After 28 minutes the light seemed to throttle down and the head cooled somewhat. At 33 minutes the light suddenly went dark without any flicker, cycling the power didn't revive it even in low mode.

It appears that on high I get about the same half hour of full power performance from IMR's that Sean got from a CR123A primary. However the primary has a long tail of dimming usable light to find those robbers, vermin and spare batteries.

The cell read 3.2 volts on the charger, well above the minimum discharge voltage of an IMR battery I would think. I reported similar results here earlier with an unprotected Exell cell although the final voltage was lower without the low voltage protection in the Exell battery.