Surefire flashlights

Ciliatus

Newly Enlightened
Nope. I don't know which model I may be interested in. I was just curious about the manufacturer. I liked the fit and feel of the light that I checked out today and it piqued my interest. Still waiting on my Liteflux, which I'm sure I'll be impressed enough with, but I always tend to research the crap out of anything that I end up getting into and I'm finding myself really interested in flashlights. I'm always curious about what's available.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's nuts. There's actually a "beating a dead horse" icon?!! Wow.

Here's the deal. Obviously there's mass over-discussion of this because everything that I can think of to search comes up with either info about a specific Surefire model, explosion issues or people complaining that all of the info that I'm looking for is over-discussed and rude instructions to "just use the search function". Seems to be a bit of a vicious circle.

I apologize if I haven't figured out what I'm doing yet but does anyone know of a good link that covers the rookie questions about Surefire lights?:confused:

With out looking over countless threads of "Which Brand is better", check out the "True Stories" section of the SF website as well as "The Surefire Difference". They kinda give you the meat and potatoes. A few things not spelled out on the SF website:

-Surefire "under-rates" their lumens. 95% of the time a 100 lumen SF will be BRIGHTER than a 140-150 lumen Brand-X
-SF has the most HARD ANODIZED (TYPE III) lights...HA-III is just below diamonds on the hardness scale, and they look nice for a long time due to the tough finish.
-SF used to have a slogan "SF's cut through the competition...literally". A CPF member tried it, and sure enough, they used a E2e (I belive) to sucessfully cut through a mini-m@g ...their finishes ARE that tough.
-SF uses very close tolerances, and quality O-rings, making their lights very water-tight...
-All SF's come pre-focused, so you get a near perfect beam in 99.9% of them...a few bad ones have been known to slip through the cracks...but they'll more than likely replace it free if asked.
-SF squares their threads off and polishes them to remove any blemishes/loose bits of metal, which makes the caps easy to screw on and less of a chance of "cross-threading" them
-There cutomer service is the best in the business (IMHO...). Do a search on surefire cs/surefire customer service....

Lots of good info out there...the SF web-site would be the best place to start though.

Last edited:

pfccypret

Newly Enlightened
My review of Surefire. Good flashlights, not what I'm usually willing to spend for a flashlight though (though I own a few surefires, they certainly aren't wallet friendly to collect). I do plan on buying an Invictus if it ever sees the light of day.

Last edited:

DesertFox

Newly Enlightened
Still waiting on my Liteflux, which I'm sure I'll be impressed enough with, but I always tend to research the crap out of anything that I end up getting into and I'm finding myself really interested in flashlights. I'm always curious about what's available.

:sick2: Ha Ha. You drank the kool-aid. Try a search for "Flashaholic". We meet every Wednesday evening.

ejot

Enlightened
You are ABSOLUTELY 100% correct. I had to try it out for myself.

Advanced Search
>"surefire"
>"Flashlight Reviews"
>Thread titles only
Drumroll please
Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.
The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search : surefire

I'm speechless... with all the gushing praise on CPF from us (myself included)... Not one single dedicated review.

**edit**
x2..what carrot said.

Search ignores "surefire" because it produces too many results. :poke:

Brigadier

Enlightened
"Buy quality, you'll only cry once...."

I still own my first Laser Products 6P.

325addict

Enlightened
Surefires are just a total pleasure to work with.
Every detail is perfect.
My first SF was a C3 Centurion HAIII with P90. It is still one of my most used flashlights, now I own 14 Surefires.
Now its gonna be a little tech-talk: nearly all SF flashlights operate on primary CR123A batteries.
A C3 Centurion needs three of them, and burns through them in one hour in the best case(!), worst case (with the optional ultra high output lamp assembly P91) this is done in just 20 minutes....

At the same time as you buy your C3, you'll need to buy a few AW protected 17500 rechargeable Li-ion batteries and a good charger. Then, you'll have "guilt free Lumens" from the start, and... you'll really start to USE this flashlight!
Tired of the incandescent lamp assembly (LA)? Just take any D26 dropin, either LED or another incandescent.
"D26" refers to the size: it is 26mm in diameter.

The most versatile SF flashlight I know of, is the U2 Ultra. This one ranges from 2 to 100 Lumens, has an unbreakable LED, and you can choose the brightness with a very easy selector ring. Runtime ranges from 175(!) to 2 hours, depending on the setting. If I had to sell all my flashlights except one (which are more than 50) the SF U2 Ultra will be the one to keep.
It has an excellent combination of throw and flood.
The only disadvantage is, to me, the color of the light. It is just the ugly blue-white color nearly all LED-lights have.

This is the main reason for my frequent incan-use. The color of the light more than makes up for all disadvantages, like high power consumption (read: short runtime), fragile filaments, not shock-resistant, and limited life. Don't get me wrong: LED-lights do have their place in my collection, and I use them regularly, but the simple, no-fuss, pleasant-to-the-eye incandescent lights are my favorites. The best, in this category, is undoubtedly Surefire, but Wolf Eyes is a good competitor (M90 Rattlesnake, M300 Lion).

Timmo.

flasherByNight

Enlightened
I think proof is in the pudding...

Apparently any thread with "surefire" in Title gets a bazillion hits in a matter of seconds

:D

Ciliatus

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all of the great info and links guys. That definitely answered my questions.

Ciliatus

Newly Enlightened
Thanks again guys. I received my Liteflux LF2XT the other day and I'm smitten. Despite the fact that I think I could be happy with only this flashlight for a long time, I find myself seriously eyeballing the Surefire E2D LED Defender now as well. after going over and over all the specs and details on Surefire's site I can't think of a better "next" flashlight. Any good links on this particular model? I find a lot of info about the "change" to 200 lumens and other stuff but I'd like to find some good info outside of SF's website. Any recommendations?

Ciliatus

Newly Enlightened
Beamshots would be great. I've spent the last several days going over the five(!) different installments of the LF2XT's discussion thread which covered damn near everything that you could imagine about this light. I was hoping to discover something similar for the E2DL.