Surefire LX2 (Part 3)

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
LX2 is not the best for sort distance. This light is designed for long distances.

Of course with the F04 diffuser, the LX2 becomes fantastic at short distances :naughty:

PeaceOfMind hit the nail on the head - every LX2 owner should also carry an F04 - it just makes it a ridiculously versatile light.

An amazing spotlight without the F04 and then an amazing floodlight with it on.... It'll be the best $14 you spend.

recDNA

Flashaholic
PeaceOfMind hit the nail on the head - every LX2 owner should also carry an F04 - it just makes it a ridiculously versatile light.

An amazing spotlight without the F04 and then an amazing floodlight with it on.... It'll be the best $14 you spend.

Ya, maybe if I had tried one I would have kept my LX2. I really liked the tint, feel, and ui. I just prefer a beam with more spill. I really don't want all flood or all throw. My favorite beam is something like the Dereelight D26 XP-G R5. Nice bright hotspot, throw OK, very nice spill.

The LX2 throws better but then there is no spill at all. I really like the size and two stage tactical ui though.

chanjyj

Enlightened
From what I've observed the LX2 is designed as a civvie light. What bemuses me then, is it's rated for 1m submergence in water (See back of packaging).

On the other hand, its more "tactical" counterparts, Z2, Z2-S, M2, C2 aren't. While I believe that they can be submerged for a while, it's strange that Surefire won't put the "waterproof stamp" on all models - choosing to stamp it on a civilian model instead. Real weird.

grumbler

Newly Enlightened
What's this white ring that I see on some surefire heads? My LX2 doesn't have it, but this one does:

056-3.jpg

I borrowed this image off of another web forum, but I've occasionally seen it in pictures of SF heads posted here.

My LX2 does have a sort of groove around the bottom of the bezel that would appear to perfectly fit a "white mysterious ring".

darkpeak

Newly Enlightened
Hi grumbler
The white ring is a glow in the dark O ring that has been stretched over the head and placed in the groove.

HighTechToolFan

Newly Enlightened
From what I've observed the LX2 is designed as a civvie light. What bemuses me then, is it's rated for 1m submergence in water (See back of packaging).

On the other hand, its more "tactical" counterparts, Z2, Z2-S, M2, C2 aren't. While I believe that they can be submerged for a while, it's strange that Surefire won't put the "waterproof stamp" on all models - choosing to stamp it on a civilian model instead. Real weird.

I would imagine the reason is that a) this is an important selling argument for every hiker or every other outdoorsy person to not have to be worried about rain and the flashlight getting wet and b) it might be a liability issue, meaning to possible get sued in case of a wet failing light during mil missions?

chanjyj

Enlightened
I would imagine the reason is that a) this is an important selling argument for every hiker or every other outdoorsy person to not have to be worried about rain and the flashlight getting wet and b) it might be a liability issue, meaning to possible get sued in case of a wet failing light during mil missions?

I would think the E2DL, E2L, E1B, E1E, E1L etc would be the ones rated as waterproof then. Heck, the E2L is called the "Outdoorsman".

But the E series of lights is known to let water in via the tailcap. Strange ain't it. :ironic:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would think the E2DL, E2L, E1B, E1E, E1L etc would be the ones rated as waterproof then. Heck, the E2L is called the "Outdoorsman".

But the E series of lights is known to let water in via the tailcap. Strange ain't it. :ironic:

I don't think your statement is fair. A few have complained about water ingress on their clicky tailcap but that does not imply that everyone faces the same problem. All my E series lights have performed flawlessly when submerged in water. I guess one of the reason Surefire did not advertise their lights as being waterproof is for safeguard reasons as what HighTechFoolFan have said. We don't know how those tactical operators would use their lights and since lithium batteries are used it would be dangerous if sea water gets inside the lights causing electrolysis which would lead to an explosion. I don't think Surefire would be willing to put their reputation on the line. This has been discussed previously a few years back.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, as the saying goes, anything that is man-made can and would spoil or fail. I have a strong suspicion that those leaking tailcaps that you have read belongs to unlucky folks who happened to get a lemon because like I have said, I face no problems with water ingress.

chanjyj

Enlightened
Also, as the saying goes, anything that is man-made can and would spoil or fail. I have a strong suspicion that those leaking tailcaps that you have read belongs to unlucky folks who happened to get a lemon because like I have said, I face no problems with water ingress.

Maybe so pjandyho. I'll admit that complaints on internet boards are not always a real reflection on what happens in the real world.
On the otherhand, IMHO (and that's my personal opinion) the E2L allowing ingress of water has shown more than what I'd consider the 'safety zone'. I'll stick with the LX2 if I had to choose one, though I know some prefer the clicky UI.

Personally, the only Surefires I'll really use everyday are the M series. In particular the M2 has earned my respect. Matter of fact, I know a guy from the USN who uses his M2 while DIVING, and with the clicky to boot :huh:

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
There's a chap selling GITD o-rings on the marketplace. Just do a search there.

I'm not sure linking sales threads on the MP is permitted here.

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
As for RCRs... I use AWs IMR RCR123s in my LX2 with no issues - been doing this for over a year....

Tsujigiri

Newly Enlightened
So I heard that the LX2 is going to be updated to 250 lumens, and a 500 lumen version will be released. Does anyone know how the runtimes will compare? Obviously it will be less for the 500 lumen version, but is the 250 lumen update just more efficient? Also, if I buy an LX2 now, can I get it updated by Surefire to 250 lumens when that version comes out, like the way they sent out replacement heads when they changed the G2L head to aluminum?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
. . . Also, if I buy an LX2 now, can I get it updated by Surefire to 250 lumens when that version comes out, like the way they sent out replacement heads when they changed the G2L head to aluminum?

Very doubtful. The issue with the G2L wasn't about improving performance or output. It was about a genuine problem that SureFire initially failed to take into account when the G2L was released. Heat doesn't bother inca. bulbs, so a polymer bezel on a stock G2 is perfectly fine. However, heat build-up is an issue with regards to LED emitters. Those early G2L models were basically defective since the polymer bezels weren't cutting it. But a current version LX2 is a perfectly functioning flashlight.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I heard that the LX2 is going to be updated to 250 lumens, and a 500 lumen version will be released. Does anyone know how the runtimes will compare? Obviously it will be less for the 500 lumen version, but is the 250 lumen update just more efficient? Also, if I buy an LX2 now, can I get it updated by Surefire to 250 lumens when that version comes out, like the way they sent out replacement heads when they changed the G2L head to aluminum?

I vote with Monochrom. BTW, they didn't just send out replacement bezels...I had to ***** and moan and almost scream to get replacements for my two G2Ls.

Tsujigiri

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, looks like they made some other changes to the light anyway. Can't wait to see the updated version come out!

Tsujigiri

Newly Enlightened
Also, does anyone know how the throw of the current LX2 compares to the Malkoff M60? I can't seem to find any comparisons between the two.

Latest posts