Surefire outdoorsman

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sure wish the MN02 lamps were commonplace, but sadly that is not the case.

Yea that sucks, I use one nearly everyday in a modfied E2E with the long clip. I wish Surefire had released the E3e and a 3 cell lamp assembly for E-series in high and low like the P90 and P91. I'm not a huge fan of bi-pin bulbs for EDC, so I don't really care if they come out with a MN02 clone type bulb.

night.hoodie

Enlightened
But do any of those T Customs bulbs have anywhere near the 2.5hr runtime of the Mn02?

Tad Customs A Series lamps are 1.2A, and there's one that's 1.8A, one that is 1.0A. You'll get an hour on the 1.2A with 1200mAh, that's easy math. Higher amps is how they outperform 1.07A MN03 in brightness, but have about the same runtime. The MN02, the virtues of which I just finally discovered, is a 0.51A lamp, and quite incredibly bright for such low amps. I get 2 hours 12 minutes of 18 lumens or so with a 1200mAh 18350, which seems crazy.

But the tint of Tad Customs lamps blows away the MN-series, the light is nicer, less angry, can not put my finger on it, but MN-series lamps seem to have a strange temperature quality to it that is not all that friendly to sensitive eyes, like most incan lamps are.

Also if you could take the time find 50 MN02, it might cost you $1500 or more, while 50 Tad Customs lamps would cost you about $121 (socket included). Granted, the durability of the lamps is not equal, but at more than ten times the price, I'd expect some serious durability from MN02.

Also, there are more Tad Customs lamps coming... I have it on good authority there is a decent possibility eventually of an A7205, a half-amp lamp for 2x Li-ion. Tad runs a small operation, so I expect any changes to what he can offer will be slow. I also know if an A3705 were possible from his supplier, he would sell it.

I wish Surefire had released the E3e and a 3 cell lamp assembly for E-series in high and low like the P90 and P91.

You're aware of UBHII and the Vital Gear switchless twisty body I bet. I thought E2L AA could be bored for CR123A, but the idea was unpopular when I asked about it in another thread. Also, PrecisionWorks isn't taking any more orders for boring right now. :/ But more importantly, Tad Customs has a 3-cell lamp, A7212 works with 3xCR123A.

I'm not a huge fan of bi-pin bulbs for EDC, so I don't really care if they come out with a MN02 clone type bulb.

Where do you get your MN02? Anyway, it is a problem when the stocks are limited and no one knows where the remaining stocks are, or at least, no one is talking.

Last edited:

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a couple and still use the one I bought off of TIN. I was fortunate to come across 3 MN02 lamps NIP a few years back. I also have a couple of used ones waiting for use. This is the perfect around camp light!

ampdude is right, the E2O bezels were about a 2 millimeters shorter than the E2e bezels.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
im so impressed with its output only being 25 lumens. its got a good amount of throw and the run time is great at 2.5 hours!!!, they really nailed the reflector setup on these E2O'S. I've heard about the lumens factory drop ins in the past but never looked into them, I just took a peak and man I'm getting the bug to stash away the mn02 and upgrade. its such a cool piece its gotta be one of the best EDC'S!!!

It is probably more like 40 lumens on fresh batteries. I love my MN02's and will never get rid of them.

It is also one bulb I've noticed that doesn't seem to dim much over its runtime.

Last edited:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
ampdude is right, the E2O bezels were about a 2 millimeters shorter than the E2e bezels.

Wow, I thought I was the only person that noticed that and I wasn't sure if it was just a manufacturing mistake. Were yours as well?

I thought it could just possibly be something within manufacturing tolerances. But since it's CNC that doesn't seem likely.

I have one transition model in the red box that still has the Z52 twisty, but I think it has the newer style body, and two sealed E2O's in the gray box that will obviously be old school..

I'm so tempted to open them all right now and check them out.

I do have a pair of calipers!

Last edited:

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, I thought I was the only person that noticed that and I wasn't sure if it was just a manufacturing mistake. Were yours as well?...

Mine were also short bezels. And they had a much darker anodized cowling as compared to the lower barrel with the hex ring! Olive drab and grey.

Both of my E2Os have twisty switches and the bodies have witness marks!

Last edited: