SureFire Product History Thread

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice thread.

I have a ton of Surefire lights, boxes, and everything from the early days. In the early days, I had to go thru a dealer in LA, took forever to get things sometime.

If I have a chance to dig it out of my archival storage, I will do an inventory. Tons of old catalogs in there, too . . . . .

That would be awesome if you could find some things to share. The biggest gaps I have in documentation are in the pre-2000 time frame.

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Status report . . .

Original post has been updated and I added a table of contents as some of these posts are getting pretty lengthy already. I also added what I have so far on the C series lights to the first post. Now I could use some help identifying all of the "special" ones that have been produced (Rat and James, I'm looking at you!) :naughty:

I also added some more photos to post #8.

As of right now the P series (both classic and original), Z series, and D series lights are really coming together nicely. I still have a few gaps with regard to pricing and years of production but I have gone ahead and moved them down into post #2 as they are getting close to finished.

I've hit a wall with regard to the early SureFire 6/6C light(s). Feel free to chime in if you have anything to share!

I noticed a bunch of old/rare SureFires being posted on the SureFire Facebook page so I took a chance and created a Facebook page for my site. Maybe we can steer some of those folks over here!

Rat

Flashlight Enthusiast
First up this should become a Sticky :thumbsup:

Love the work you have been doing on this page & the website it's great. I think it's a place to come to if you need to know anything about Surefire lights and it will only get better. Keep the good work up.
Some of the photo's you have are just amazing. Where did you find that image of the C2 & C3 cross-hair logo-ed lights? I had never seen a cross-hair C3 before.

C2 special editions that I know of are

C2 team soldier "not sure if it would qualify as a special edition"
C2 Jungle camo
C2 Emerson
C2 Power of light
C2 Taurus "two versions"
C2 Remington
C2 Smith & Wesson
C2 Omega force Teamster USA
C2 Orange PK
C2 Purple

I think it would be great if Tempest UK, Size 15 and others would pop in an spread there wisdom as I think they would have forgotten more than we know about early Surefire lights.

:wave:

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
First up this should become a Sticky :thumbsup:

Love the work you have been doing on this page & the website it's great. I think it's a place to come to if you need to know anything about Surefire lights and it will only get better. Keep the good work up.

Thanks Rat. I've made some updates to the site but I've neglected this thread for a while. Quite frankly I have just been putting off setting everything up to take some photos. I'm working on reviews of a couple of new lights right now so I think I will take the opportunity to photograph some older lights today as well. I believe I will get the G series lights taken care of next and then I will move on to the Millennium series.

Some of the photo's you have are just amazing. Where did you find that image of the C2 & C3 cross-hair logo-ed lights? I had never seen a cross-hair C3 before.

I agree . . . but most of the amazing ones are yours! I found the cross-hairs C2 & C3 here (you will like this page). If you haven't been there before, you will enjoy spending some time on that site. Navigation can be a little tedious at times due to broken links or dead ends but patience is rewarded by finding some neat information and photos.

C2 special editions that I know of are

C2 team soldier "not sure if it would qualify as a special edition"
C2 Jungle camo
C2 Emerson
C2 Power of light
C2 Taurus "two versions"
C2 Remington
C2 Smith & Wesson
C2 Omega force Teamster USA
C2 Orange PK
C2 Purple

Thank you sir. I shall add this information to the C2 sheet and page.

I think it would be great if Tempest UK, Size 15 and others would pop in an spread there wisdom as I think they would have forgotten more than we know about early Surefire lights.

Agreed! My first-hand knowledge is limited to the past few years and the lights I own.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got y'all "liked" on FB now btw. I think I have for a few weeks now?

anyways, the site design on the flashlightguide.com site is absolutely phenomenal.

can you tell me anything about G-series history? I'm specifically curious about the G2Z nitrolon with the combat grip rings

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
can you tell me anything about G-series history? I'm specifically curious about the G2Z nitrolon with the combat grip rings

Thanks tobrien. I'm working on assembling information about the G-series lights now. Did you have a specific question about them? Hopefully if I don't know, someone else can chime in.

While we're on that subject, does anyone know when the G2 was first produced? I think I have it narrowed down to 1999 or 2000 but I'm not too sure.

I agree.

Bill

Thanks Bill. I try to start updating this more often.

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Update: I have added M-series lights to post #2. If anyone can help me establish when the individual M series lights were first produced, I would greatly appreciate it. Of course, if you can help fill in any other blanks, that would be appreciated too! I am in the process of rearranging my image hosting so I have not updated the photo section yet.

In order to condense the post a little further, I took out some of the extra information and instead added links to the full fact sheets on my site. I don't know how to manage the length of the 2nd post as there are still a LOT more lights yet to go.

I will be posting the G-series lights next, followed (I think) by the Aviators and L-series lights. I apologize for the seemingly random order to the updates.

Thank you to everyone who has supported this so far with photos, advice, and information :wave:

Blackbird13

Enlightened
Hey rat not sure if u was still looking or not but I have the 2001 the ultimate illumination tools catalog pluss a couple older millennium weaponlights catalog one has a hand signed letter inside with laser products letterhead stating a suggested retail prices , a separate dealer prices

sfxd45

Newly Enlightened
Very good info!! I have been looking for info on all of Surfire's lights!!

schmitti

Newly Enlightened
Great thread!

Any idea when SureFire switched from snap in lenses to the the threaded bezels?

Also, info on changes in the tailcap guts? (probably less important)

My Z3 that I got in 2003 or so has a snap in lens and a screw in the tail cap rather than a rivet. Not sure if that helps date it or not.

Thanks again for your effort!

E

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great thread!

Any idea when SureFire switched from snap in lenses to the the threaded bezels?

Also, info on changes in the tailcap guts? (probably less important)

My Z3 that I got in 2003 or so has a snap in lens and a screw in the tail cap rather than a rivet. Not sure if that helps date it or not.

Thanks again for your effort!

E

that's a really old one!

liyanwyf

Newly Enlightened
thanks, very detailed and helped a lotlovecpf
wait for more vintage products

Tech-Com

Newly Enlightened
I can get some photographs of a 1990's era 1xcr123 surefire infrared flashlight if it would help any.

akg414

Newly Enlightened
I too have to echo the thanks for providing this info. I'll be reading all about it. I know they're pricey, but to me, Made in America is important. Especially for items that we use everyday and rely on so heavily.