SureFire Product History Thread

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D

how about the special released Titanium Titan. Only 500 produced. I have been working posts to see where the other 499 are, #154 is safe in my safe.

Also can you look up the patents to see who holds the designs? From the old days that would be nice history for this project.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast

how about the special released Titanium Titan. Only 500 produced. I have been working posts to see where the other 499 are, #154 is safe in my safe.

Also can you look up the patents to see who holds the designs? From the old days that would be nice history for this project.

you can also search patents through Google patent search or the USPTO

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast

I wish I had one of those to add to your list! It seems like I have seen some information about the patents somewhere. I will add that to my "to do" list.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
WOW!!!
Thanks a million!

Ok, so after a month or so of scouring for photos of different 6p's, this thread has me thinking the 6, 6C and 6P classic were all completely round.

That leads me to think the "original" was when the anti-roll head was applied.

So from there I see photos with a "US Pat #" on one side with serial # on the the other. And some with serial number and "US Pat" on the same side. Left side if you set the bulb facing away from you.

The pair of new 6P originals I bought have "US Pat #" on one side (right) serial # on the other (left).
My point in this quandry is I just bought a used 6P with neither US Pat or serial number on the left side.

When it arrives I'll know what is on the right.

I guess I'm trying to pinpoint aprox when the light was made.
Does Sure Fire produce lights with varying logos within model years? Or would the lack of US Pat and serial # on the left side offer a clue when the light was made?

Edit: seller flaked. Never sent it. Yet here on 1/1/16 it's still for sale.

Last edited:

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
SureFire 6Z CombatLight (Full Fact Sheet)
Light Information - SureFire 6Z CombatLight
Production StatusDiscontinued. Replaced by the SureFire Z2
Voltage/Source6V / 2 x Duracell DL123A Lithium Battery
Lamp AssemblyStandard: P60 Hi-Pressure Xenon (65 lumens)
Optional: P61 Hi-Pressure Xenon (120 lumens)
Rated RuntimeWith P60: 60 minutes
With P61: 20 minutes
Body ConstructionAluminum
Body FinishType II Anodizing
Production ColorBlack
SwitchTail mounted. Press for momentary, twist for constant-on
Year(s)1997 - 2001
Length4.9 inches (124 mm)
Body Diameter1.0 inch (25.4 mm)
Bezel Diameter1.245 inches (31.6 mm)
Weight5.0 ounces (142 grams)
MSRP

Hi 880arm,

I am selling a 6Z and just now realized the user manual says "Revision N/C 10-24-94". Could be a taken over from an earlier 6P manual, could be typo (early SF manuals were not the very best) but it could also mean that these were indeed available from 1994 and not just from 1997 on?

Eric

EDIT: Here´s a pictures of the manual:

6z5.jpg

Last edited:

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
. . . Ok, so after a month or so of scouring for photos of different 6p's, this thread has me thinking the 6, 6C and 6P classic were all completely round.

That leads me to think the "original" was when the anti-roll head was applied . . .

That's pretty much how I understand it happened. Another qualifier is that the older "Classic" versions had the model name/number engraved on the tailcap and no engraving on the flashlight body. When the so-called "Original" versions came out, they brought the flattened sides and body engraving we're familiar with now.

Just to keep things interesting, there were some lights produced that had the "classic" bezel but with the "original" body. I don't know for sure but I suspect this was just a matter of using up the older style bezels that were inventory at the time.

. . . I guess I'm trying to pinpoint aprox when the light was made.
Does Sure Fire produce lights with varying logos within model years? Or would the lack of US Pat and serial # on the left side offer a clue when the light was made?

The placement of patent and serial number info moves around sometimes but I don't think it has always been tied to a particular year of production. It's been my experience that SureFire doesn't think in terms of "model years" like many of us do and most assignments of age or vintage (e.g. Gen 1, Gen 2, etc.) come from us enthusiasts. There have been cases in the past where parts of different generations (sometimes as defined by enthusiasts) have been mixed.

The logo itself can give some general clues to the production timeframe as there have been at least three variations of it through the years.

Hi 880arm,

I am selling a 6Z and just now realized the user manual says "Revision N/C 10-24-94". Could be a taken over from an earlier 6P manual, could be typo (early SF manuals were not the very best) but it could also mean that these were indeed available from 1994 and not just from 1997 on?

Eric

EDIT: Here´s a pictures of the manual:

6z5.jpg

That's some neat information there, thank you for sharing! The 1997 date I used came from a timeline that was published on page 5 of the 2010 SureFire catalog. Now you have me wondering which one is correct! :thinking:

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hm, in the timeline they picture the 6Z version with the longer "thinner" part of the body (between the bezel and the grip-rings) and the smooth bezel. Maybe 1997 is when they changed the design of the 6Z and mixed it up in the timeline. The 6Z is also in their 1996 catalogue but we all know it doesn´t necessarily mean it was indeed available in 1996. Personaly I am leaning towards 1994 but who knows, the manual could be wrong.

Eric

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Thanks 880.

Yeah I see the logo was once a sorta cross hair thing I suppose like a laser. And the modern one seems to be a sorta swoop of a circle with an outline. The pic of the one I bought looks like a solid swoop.

I'll scour the internet to see if the solid vs outline logo was an indication.

Again, thanks.

Mike

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would be cool to be able to attach the A2 with Red to the top of the Hellfighter handle. Totally cool EDC! :)

I wish they made that A2 mount. The A2 gets the most use around my house.

gsr

Enlightened
Has anyone here been to the SureFire web site recently and noticed a lot of products are no longer listed? The 6P is gone, along with the Minimus, the 2211 without the Luminox watch, all helmet lights, and many more.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you look at Surefire's site, they've dropped all of the Incan lights. That's why the market is flooded with 6P's right now.

Picking up a complete 6P if for nothing else but the body for a bored project is a pretty good deal.

As for the wrist light, the 2211 light is listed as for sale. It believe the cost is $169.

Helmet light page shows under construction.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
They usually have a Closeout Sale at years end. I noticed their specials page is also down today. So I guess they could be preparing for that sale. A note of interest. I noticed they ran a "up to 50% off" sale over the last month or so. They also now have a 15% email sign up discount, as apposed to 10%. So I am guessing they are changing things up a little. I am curious to see if they run their normal year end clearance sale. A few years back, the sale was so busy, their server froze for several minutes.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Here's some 09 6P vs 015.
I just received some 6P lights from a surplus sale. Batteries expire in 9/2019 so I presume the lights were made in 2009...or there abouts. The 015 light was purchased as new stock in July or August 015. Batteries expire 4/2025.

Hope this helps somebody someday....

^^ 09 supplied batteries

^^ 015 supplied batteries

^^ 09 logo
Note the italics

^^015 logo
Note word not italicized

^^09 tail cap
The words SureFire USA are not on 015 tail caps.

Last edited:

Pilotodude

Newly Enlightened
Here's a photo of my original duty issued in late 1990, early 1991 Sure Fire 6, using the lithium 123 cells.

25 years later, it still runs on the original bulb and original push button.

Triburst1

Newly Enlightened
Very cool thread. Thanks for taking the time to put this together.

norac

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I was told that some of you might be interested in an Overview of Surefire Lanyards. I have compiled this information from the catalogs of Surefire and from their internet site (current / Wayback machine). The list most likely contains errors, please correct them if you spot them :) If this is not the right place, accept my apologies and please move it to an adequate place.

Z12 Lanyard Ring0.8"(?) Steel Ring for Bezel0.8"(?) Steel Ring for Bezel
Z25 Lanyard RingSteel Ring for Bezel
Z26 Lanyard Ring1" Steel Ring for Tailcap6P, 6R, 9P, G2
Z27 Lanyard KitBlack 550 PCord, 2 Cord Locks, Carabiner
Z28 Lanyard KitOD 550 PCord, 2 Cord Locks, 1 Cord Fastener, Carabiner, Polymer Snap RingA2, A2L, AZ2, Kroma, L1, L2
Z33 Lanyard KitGrey 550 PCord, 2 Cord Locks, 1 Cord Fastener, Carabiner, 1" Steel Ring, Spare Rubber6P, 9P, D2, D3, G2, G2Z, C2, C3, M2, M3, M4, Z2, Z3, L5, L6
Z34 Lanyard KitGrey 550 PCord, 2 Cord Locks, 1 Cord Fastener, Carabiner, 1" & 0.8" Steel Ring6P, 9P, D2, D3, G2, G2Z, C2, C3, M2, M3, M4, Z2, Z3
Z35 Lanyard KitBlack 550 PCord, 2 Cord Locks, 1 Cord Fastener, Carabiner, Steel Ring8AX, 8NX, 8X
Z45 Lanyard KitGrey 550 PCord, 2 Cord Locks, 1 Cord Fastener, Carabiner, 1" Steel Ring6P, 3P, 6R, 6Z, 7Z, 8X, 9P, 9Z
Z50 Lanyard SystemGrey 550 PCord, 2 Cord Locks, 1 Cord Fastener, CarabinerE1e, E2e, E2o, L4 [2]
Z51 Lanyard M6Grey 550 PCord, CarabinerM6
Z60 Lanyard SystemGrey 550 PCord, 2 Cord Locks, 1 Cord Fastener, Carabiner, Polymer Snap RingA2, A2L, AZ2, Kroma, L1, L2, E1e, E2e
Yel. 550 PCord, 2 Cord Locks, 1 Cord Fastener, Y-Carabiner(?)G3D-FYL [1]
Over the time, some details changed:

Late 80's / early 90's, Round body Surefire 6P, Z27: Cord Locks have no inscription, Matte, Big Rounded Holes, One Button; Carabiner is formed like #1 in below figure.
2006: Surefire L2, the Cord Locks are inscribed with "PROGRESCO TOOLS ALTADENA, B-LOK-4 CA PAT. 4288891", Glossy, Smaller rounded Rectangular Holes, One Button (same as the Lanyard on my 2001 Spares Carrier SC1). Carabiner is the newer form, #2.

The Cord Locks are available on line from the Manufacturer.

SFClips.png

In General:
- 36" Length of PCord -> 18" Working Length
- Cord Locks: change from one Button to two Button Design
- Rounded Carabiner: change to Simplex Carabiner (sometimes w/o Splitring)
- Cord Fastener (End Piece) omitted
- Simplex Carabiner fixed to PCord,
Rounded Carabiner attached to Pocketclip via Splitring
Rounded Carabiner attached to Cordage, Splitring to Pocketclip
Y-Shaped Carabiner
- Split Rings black or silver (Z28)

Citations
[1] Only for two Stage Tailcaps: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ard-ring-on-G2&p=614319&viewfull=1#post614319
[2] Attach directly to the flashlight's pocket clip lanyard loop https://web.archive.org/web/2003121...xp/main/co_disp/displ/carfnbr/103/prrfnbr/834

It would be nice if the errors could be corrected and maybe to get a timeframe in which each Lanyard kit was used / changed; esp. with regard to the carabiners.

Sources:
- http://surefire.com
- https://web.archive.org/web/*/www.surefire.com
- Catalogs from 2002 until 2016