Surefire tactician oddity

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
I just got this brand new tactician. Has anyone ever seen a similar defect on a SF? First time for me. I've already sent SF a message and have no doubt they'll get it taken care of, but thought this was worth sharing. The clip is pretty wobbly as well, is that normal for the tactician, or maybe it's because the channel was mangled?

1F3AC1B2-39ED-4ED8-9891-70EEAAC0C781.jpeg
A2DC4DEC-9A5A-4FC3-BCC7-467241D69679.jpeg
26633566-DCDB-441A-A258-D693DDBBCA79.jpeg

LRJ88

Enlightened
The Tactician when it was first shipped out had a clip that was put in place with a proper friction fit, later on this was changed to a looser fit and some black goop put on it to keep it (poorly) in place, it looks like you've now received the latest iteration which is someone just hitting it with a bloody hammer to get it to stay in place. Can you check the threads on yours and see if they're good or if they look like a sawblade?

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
Threads look fine. Everything is squared away on this light except for the overzealous hammer user that put the clip on. Stuff happens, first actual defect I've gotten out of many sf's.

I sent SF these pictures, they said to send the light back and they'll send a new one. Easy peasy.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I thought that poster was full of..

Hard to believe SF machine shop would cut threads using dull tooling

No pics.. never happened

LRJ88

Enlightened
Yeah, I thought that poster was full of..

Hard to believe SF machine shop would cut threads using dull tooling

No pics.. never happened

How i wish that was true, and that SF would check their stuff before sending it out. My first Tactician chewed through the o-ring on the head.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
That body should have been thrown into the scrap can

Why don't you follow Megala led, send SF photos..

Tell them the threads are cut like cr*p and it eats up orings

Last edited:

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got this brand new tactician. Has anyone ever seen a similar defect on a SF? First time for me. I've already sent SF a message and have no doubt they'll get it taken care of, but thought this was worth sharing. The clip is pretty wobbly as well, is that normal for the tactician, or maybe it's because the channel was mangled?

CQ, QC. (radio speak:)

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder how many screwed up bodies ran off CNC before the operator realized the tooling needed changing. 25, 50..
Years ago working for FMC Mil vehicle division in Santa Clara, CA. My shift foreman used to call this quality "close enough for Govt work"
Chinese have a word "Chabuduo" meaning not far off.
You'd expect more from SF than Cha Bu Duo.
I sincerely hope this is not their new standard.

Edit: typos

Last edited:

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder how many screwed up bodies ran off CNC before the operator realized the tooling needed changing. 25, 50..
Years ago working for GMC Mil vehicle division in Santa Clara, CA. My shift foreman used to call this quality "close enough for Govt work"
Chinese have a word "Chabuduo" meaning not far off.
You'd expect more from SF than Cha Bu Duo.
I sincerely hope this is not their new standard.

I sincerely hope so too, KG. We need to keep the few good mfgrs we have left good. We can't afford to lose any.

That was probably 'bout the time frame when I spent 15+yrs living in S'Vale, working in SC, SV, SJ, etc. Small world:)

LRJ88

Enlightened
That body should have been thrown into the scrape can

Why don't you follow Megala led, send SF photos..

Tell them the threads are cut like cr*p and it eats up orings
I did get in touch with SF over it, took over a year to get things sorted and in the end they sent me a new one. The kicker? New one also had ****ed threads, but to a degree where at least some sand paper could be applied to smooth them out a bit. I've been heavily considering getting an LF body instead, but at the same time that feels like having to fix their mistake for them at my own expense.

hamhanded

Enlightened
Everything I've gotten from LF has cleaner threads than my new (2018+) surefires.

You could say LF steals their IP. But even if so, surefire is bested at their own game.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Sorry to say, you got one that snuck by SureFire's Quality Control.
My Tactician is perfect in terms of construction/build.

tango44

Enlightened
Hopefully SF makes it right for you, honestly the light is overrated, terrible clip, head will get so hot that will burn you and the tail cap is no te best, what not to like?