Surefire tailcap swaps.. which ones work?

LDB

Newly Enlightened
I've used a Surefire L1 LED for EDC for the better part of a decade. I decided to go with something presumably giving better throw to light up farther away. I went with a sale and ordered the Surefire G2X. I'd like to keep the twist cap I'm used to with the L1. Is there a tail cap that gives the temporary low/high by pressing or continuous on low/high by twisting that will work with the new G2X? If so, which one do I need and where do I get it? Thanks.

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are looking for the L1 style tailcap that was tap for low, push for high, there used to be one but those are no longer being made. If not see if you can trade someone for a G2X momentary tailcap as you can still tap once for low and release and hold for high.

LDB

Newly Enlightened
There's no tap. It's spring loaded. Press lightly and it turns on on low. Press harder and it goes up to high. You have to hold the pressure for whichever level of light you want. If you screw the tail cap onto the light more than a certain amount it turns on to low and stays on for as long as the batteries last or till you unscrew it. Go farther with the tailcap and you get high output as long as the batteries hold out.

carrot

Flashaholic
The answer to your question is no. If you really must have a UI/tailcap like on the L1 but want more output you will be best suited by an LX2.

Rjkpsmith

Newly Enlightened
Well, I don't know whether or not the G2X is compatible with C/P series Surefire tailcaps - but if it is, you might have a chance getting a two stage twisty by using the tailcap off of the new Surefire AZ2. According to this thread you can achieve two levels with this tailcap and a 6P with a Malkoff M61W.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/281373

There used to be the McC2S, which was a two-stage conversion for the Z41 tailcap, but unfortunately those aren't being made anymore.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/83844

Every once in a while you can get them from the Marketplace, though...

Hope that this helps!:twothumbs

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
The G2X tailcap is compatible with the 6P tailcaps but the batteries sit lower in the tube so not all 6P compatible tailcaps work in a G2X. All of my 6P compatible tailcaps, except for a U12B, work just fine on the G2X (skipping modes from my Netkidz clicky notwithstanding). The U12B has a short spring that does not contact the battery and I can hear the batteries rattling around loose inside of the light with the U12B installed. Then again, the G2X/6PX were not intended to be weapon-mounted so that should not be an issue at all.