Surefire U2 Ultra XP-G2 mod

gottawearshades

Enlightened
After I saw this thread, I asked Vinh Nyugen to put one of these in a Lux U2 for me (the head was already opened, btw, or else Vinh wouldn't have taken it). He didn't say exactly what he did, but the performance is incredible. It's a completely different light!

My understanding is this light has a buck circuit for three levels, and then a boost circuit for three more. It loos like the emitter is just pulling all kinds of power from the boost circuit, so I only get one level of brightness, and it is crazy bright. It looks like level one is 1 or 2 lumen, and level two is 10 or 15, and level three is at least 300 lumen. The last three levels collapse into 800 lumens?! It's a beautiful beam, throwy with plenty of spill (sorry, when I've tried to take beam shots before, Shaka when the walls fell).

I'm concerned about running on primaries, I won't be running it on max for more than a minute or two, but I don't need to at level three is as bright as my Malkoff MDC but with more throw.

Now my U2 is fun again.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
After I saw this thread, I asked Vinh Nyugen to put one of these in a Lux U2 for me (the head was already opened, btw, or else Vinh wouldn't have taken it). He didn't say exactly what he did, but the performance is incredible. It's a completely different light!

My understanding is this light has a buck circuit for three levels, and then a boost circuit for three more. It loos like the emitter is just pulling all kinds of power from the boost circuit, so I only get one level of brightness, and it is crazy bright. It looks like level one is 1 or 2 lumen, and level two is 10 or 15, and level three is at least 300 lumen. The last three levels collapse into 800 lumens?! It's a beautiful beam, throwy with plenty of spill (sorry, when I've tried to take beam shots before, Shaka when the walls fell).

I'm concerned about running on primaries, I won't be running it on max for more than a minute or two, but I don't need to at level three is as bright as my Malkoff MDC but with more throw.

Now my U2 is fun again.
Whether it is just boost, or buck-boost, at the upper levels you aren't getting any boost driver action since Vbatt>VLED if you replaced the Lux V with an XP-G2. You are running direct drive, which is why you don't have any upper brightness levels. It's all just one level, and most likely you are seriously overdriving the LED and the driver itself. It's a testimony to the ruggedness of SureFires that the light hasn't croaked yet.

black bolt

Newly Enlightened
Another XP-L U2 on its way home.

This was my U2 host that Russ swap out the stock SSC P4 for a XPL led. I received it back several days ago and have been using since then daily. I bought this U2 about a year and half months ago on Craigslist for $50 bnib and not even at that price, could have made me use that ugly blueish/purple tint led everyday. It sat on the shelf from there on until I saw this thread on the U2 led mod and said to myself "Why not, I got a hell of a deal on the flashlight, so whats another $65 to see if it could make me love this light?" Russ, you did a fine job on the mod and WOW what a huge difference the new led makes. The XPL led was made for this flashlight because it throws more and has a lot more spills then the stock ever did. I even love the tint that the led is putting out, much warmer then my Malkoff M61W dropin. Thanks for everything Russ and if I ever pickup another U2 flashlight, it definitely will be heading off to your location.

gottawearshades

Enlightened
<irony>
Yes, but did you catch the part where I said it is very bright?
</irony>

Whether it is just boost, or buck-boost, at the upper levels you aren't getting any boost driver action since Vbatt>VLED if you replaced the Lux V with an XP-G2. You are running direct drive, which is why you don't have any upper brightness levels. It's all just one level, and most likely you are seriously overdriving the LED and the driver itself. It's a testimony to the ruggedness of SureFires that the light hasn't croaked yet.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
This was my U2 host that Russ swap out the stock SSC P4 for a XPL led. I received it back several days ago and have been using since then daily. I bought this U2 about a year and half months ago on Craigslist for $50 bnib and not even at that price, could have made me use that ugly blueish/purple tint led everyday. It sat on the shelf from there on until I saw this thread on the U2 led mod and said to myself "Why not, I got a hell of a deal on the flashlight, so whats another $65 to see if it could make me love this light?" Russ, you did a fine job on the mod and WOW what a huge difference the new led makes. The XPL led was made for this flashlight because it throws more and has a lot more spills then the stock ever did. I even love the tint that the led is putting out, much warmer then my Malkoff M61W dropin. Thanks for everything Russ and if I ever pickup another U2 flashlight, it definitely will be heading off to your location.

Thanks! It definitely makes the U2 a user.

If you ever have any problems with your light I will fix it.

yubes88

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys I'm looking to mod my light as well. I was issued this light in Iraq in 2008. I love it and still use it everyday from searching large open areas to reading in the tent. I know it can be so much better, so here are a few pics, let me know what my options are.
IMG_20140817_083425_042_zps2fe76fd9.jpg

IMG_20140817_083434_727_zpsb5925c3d.jpg

IMG_20140817_083506_589_zpse6356d12.jpg

IMG_20140817_080622_890_zpse1973e58.jpg

IMG_20140817_081001_751_zps0989ad76.jpg

IMG_20140817_081310_426_zps89beb5da.jpg

m4a1usr

Enlightened
Looks like you have done the hardest part of a U2 conversion. That is opening up the bezel. Few bother with messing with the driver since the UI is very practical. Now just make the decision on which LED you may want. The XPG2 is a well known choice or maybe an XML or XPL? Both good choices but do not expect the same throw compared to the XPG2. I know. Decisions, decisions.

Last edited:

yubes88

Newly Enlightened
Looks like you have done the hardest part of a U2 conversion. That is opening up the bezel. Few bother with messing with the driver since the UI is very practical. Now just make the decision on which LED you may want. The XPG2 is a well known choice or maybe an XML or XPL? Both good choices but do not expect the same throw compared to the XPG2. I know. Decisions, decisions.

so are you saying the XP-G2 will throw the best? I like what little I've seen of the XP-L so far but don't know enough to make an informed decision.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys I'm looking to mod my light as well. I was issued this light in Iraq in 2008. I love it and still use it everyday from searching large open areas to reading in the tent. I know it can be so much better, so here are a few pics, let me know what my options are.
[IM]http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n138/yubes88/IMG_20140817_083425_042_zps2fe76fd9.jpg[/IMG]
[IG]http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n138/yubes88/IMG_20140817_083434_727_zpsb5925c3d.jpg[/IMG]
[MG]http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n138/yubes88/IMG_20140817_083506_589_zpse6356d12.jpg[/IMG]
[IM]http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n138/yubes88/IMG_20140817_080622_890_zpse1973e58.jpg[/IMG]
[IG]http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n138/yubes88/IMG_20140817_081001_751_zps0989ad76.jpg[/IMG]
[IG]http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n138/yubes88/IMG_20140817_081310_426_zps89beb5da.jpg[/IMG]
first: thank you for serving our great country!

second: worst case scenario you're unable to do it yourself, there are plenty of guys on this forum who can do it for you for pretty little cash

yubes88

Newly Enlightened
first: thank you for serving our great country!

Thanks for your support,

So is this upgrade as simple as unmounting and re-soldering the new led? If so, I should be able to handle that. Otherwise I'd love to find someone who is willing to help me out.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for your support,

So is this upgrade as simple as unmounting and re-soldering the new led? If so, I should be able to handle that. Otherwise I'd love to find someone who is willing to help me out.

PM sent!

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
My lights on its way to Nitroz! I can't wait to see some build pics and especially those before and after beam shots!

Good Call!
His work has been very nice. He recently returned a Sportac dropin with upgraded wire, multi mode driver, and triple DEDOMED XPL emitters. One amp to each LED on 100% with a bonafide moonlight. My wife really likes the warm tint and the very broad yet powerful hotspot. It has become our ambient light in the bedroom and her field torch. It is never too hot to hold but will use-the-juice if left on full speed extensively, as would be expected. I plan on doing a short video on it, after more real time use.