Surefire Z58 tailcap - will it work on a Surefire U2?

Xacto

Enlightened
Dear colleagues,

I got a Surefire U2 for a pretty good price but the tailcap / clicky will not switch to constant on (momentary works). I already found the repair tips here in the board but I would like to have a 100% reliable switch. So I found the Surefire Z58 tailcap but my searches were inconclusive if that tailcap would work on a U2. The threads etc seem to work since I could mount the U2 tailcap on a Surefire 6P.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Thorsten

Contacting Surefires spare department will be my third option, but since we are divided by an ocean, I would like to try an in-country solution at first.

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Z58 is HA natural while the black version would be the Z59. Both will work on a U2. The stock U2 swtich basicly is a matte Z59.

Eric

Size15's

Flashaholic
The Z58 is HA natural while the black version would be the Z59. Both will work on a U2. The stock U2 swtich basicly is a matte Z59.

Eric
It is an obvious difference - the Z59 is type II Black anodised whereas the U2's TailCap is type III "Hard" anodised.
I'd suggest trying to contact SureFire first before resorting to getting a Z59 yourself.

Xacto

Enlightened

Eric

Thanks for the hint, now I know I have to order. Thanks Eric.

It is an obvious difference - the Z59 is type II Black anodised whereas the U2's TailCap is type III "Hard" anodised.
I'd suggest trying to contact SureFire first before resorting to getting a Z59 yourself.

Thanks for clearing that up. I got the Surefire U2 from an online shop at a very good price but they couldn't help me with the defectiv switch since their supplier is out of stock on Surefire U2s. That was/is the reason why I try to find a solution that could be realized within a few days (like getting the tailcap from another shop and probably getting the price refunded from the original vendor of the U2). If that will not work with the vendor, I still can try my luck with Surefire.

Cheers
Thorsten

Last edited:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
I have a photo of the combination, but PhotoBucket isn't cooperating at the moment.

TinyPic is pretty reliable:

2427oeb.jpg

precisionworks

Flashaholic
... PhotoBucket isn't cooperating at the moment.
I gave up on PhotoBucket about six months ago after they changed their download process. Looked at a number of paid services & settled on Phanfare. Free 14 day trial & a 20% off coupon is always available for the first years membership.

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I swapped parts with a 6P, and put a regular Z41 twisty on my U2. The finish doesn't match, but it's no biggie. I like the reliability of twistys.

Xacto

Enlightened
Short update. The original vendor could not help me with a replacement tailcap. I already ordered an Z59 to assure that the U2 will work (or to find the fault in the original one) but nonetheless will try my luck with the Surefire CS. Although I must admit that I am a big fan of the twisty tailcap, I think that the Z59 could find its way on one of my EDC lights if I get a replacement from SF.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Cheers
Thorsten

Xacto

Enlightened
Final update - I got a replacement tailcap for the U2 from Surefire. My first contact with them via e-mail, it was very quick, helpful and the replacement arrived very fast too! I too can only attest to the great customer support Surefire offers - even when the customer is from another continent!

Cheers
Thorsten

välineurheilija

Enlightened
Final update - I got a replacement tailcap for the U2 from Surefire. My first contact with them via e-mail, it was very quick, helpful and the replacement arrived very fast too! I too can only attest to the great customer support Surefire offers - even when the customer is from another continent!

Cheers
Thorsten
:twothumbs Still i hope i dont have problems with my Surefires :)

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Thanks for the update - good to hear that things worked out.
So there isn't an official designation for the U2 tailcap then hmm?
I didn't know that it was neither the Z58 nor the Z59 - I learn something new here just about every day. :)

SunStar

Enlightened
My U2 regularly wears a Z49 and I prefer it that way over the stock switch. Too me, it looks and feels right on the light and the floody beam of the U2 begs to be stood on tail - especially in doors. Went through a couple of hurricanes that way... backed her down to 2 lumens and let her run all night like a small lamp. Very functional...

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
My U2 regularly wears a Z59 and I prefer it that way over the stock switch. Too me, it looks and feels right on the light and the floody beam of the U2 begs to be stood on tail - especially in doors. Went through a couple of hurricanes that way... backed her down to 2 lumens and let her run all night like a small lamp. Very functional...
SunStar, I'd like to see pics of your U2 with that tailcap if you could? :huh:

Edit: Are you talking about the Z68? :confused: Edit #2: scratch that, that's an E-series tailcap ...

Last edited:

Xacto

Enlightened
At least in my e-mail communication with Surefire we never called the tailcap Z58/Z59 and the bag it was sealed in had no designation at all.

Cheers
Thorsten