• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Tana Light Engines for McGizmo lights (Haiku, Mule) and modding service...

ven

Flashaholic
Re: TNT Tana Light Engines for McGizmo lights (Haiku, Mule) and modding service...

Thanks for the info Tana, one word................awesome:cool:

Dakine234

Enlightened
Re: TNT Tana Light Engines for McGizmo lights (Haiku, Mule) and modding service...

Looking forward to this!!! Interested in the Tri heads for the Haiku, just saw one SOYD made and spoke to him about it. Will yours be removable and able to put the original LE back in yourself, or will it be semi permanent as SOYD are?

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast

Looking forward to this!!! Interested in the Tri heads for the Haiku, just saw one SOYD made and spoke to him about it. Will yours be removable and able to put the original LE back in yourself, or will it be semi permanent as SOYD are?

Haiku TripLED is not a module - the whole thing consists of aluminum heatsink with PCB/optics on the front and from the usual engine side there is a new brass engine with H17F driver which screws in - wires go thru heatsink and they need to be soldered to PCB once everything assembled - anyone with some soldering skill would be able to assemble it themselves (if they are uncomfortable to mail Haiku head for me to install it)...

Also, it's reversible and easily returned to stock Haiku...

Glass lens sits between two o-rings just like original setup (but thinner, transparent o-ring is used underneath both lens/optics) and it's water tight just as stock is... glass lens is still there to protect optics...

Cool! Will this be using the lucidrvft too?

LuciDrvFT, yes of course... another option will be semi-programmable firmware I call GroupTNT which has some basic most used mode groups (version of Guppy2 firmware)... Top Gun model is H17F driver with Luci2 firmware...

Last edited:

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast

that is one clean looking mule LE. is it correct to assume the LE's will also be compatible with the sundrop XR-U head?

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast

that is one clean looking mule LE. is it correct to assume the LE's will also be compatible with the sundrop XR-U head?

It will (but I can't be 100% sure until I have Sundrop head with me and ensure optimal fit)...

Any chance of H17F driver?

In TripLED for sure... in single LED module not sure at this point...

easilyled

Flashaholic

I'm interested in the XPL-Hi Aleph L.E. I presume it will work in the Aleph1/2/3 lights too.

Ideally 4500K color temperature. :thumbsup:

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast

Now I want an Aleph 1 head even more than I already wanted..... cute quad ;) :thumbsup:

easilyled

Flashaholic

Tana, to clarify, I was thinking that the single L.E with XPL-Hi that you posted pictures of the 1st post (for use with the mule) would also work in Aleph1/2/3 heads as long as the original reflectors were used.

I'd consider buying it and trying it out. I like the triples and quads too by the way but they have a different beam profile. Retaining single leds with reflectors makes for throwier beams.

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast

Tana, to clarify, I was thinking that the single L.E with XPL-Hi that you posted pictures of the 1st post (for use with the mule) would also work in Aleph1/2/3 heads as long as the original reflectors were used.

I'd consider buying it and trying it out. I like the triples and quads too by the way but they have a different beam profile. Retaining single leds with reflectors makes for throwier beams.
I know what you were hoping and like, that's what I like for each... lol...

Sure thing, with tiny difference between LE for Aleph 2 and LE for Aleph 1 and 3 (due to resting point once LE is installed) - all three can rock with new LEDs...

Few things to keep in mind... one is focus point - I've spent two days tinkering with focus trying to figure out why I have doughnut hole up to 20cm on Aleph 1 and 40cm on Aleph 3 heads - only to realize today that stock LE's had similar thing... I'm guessing Don designed them to be throwers so it's hard to make them perfectly focused at super close distance when you want light to reach out...

Second thing is - hotspot is kind of "cloudy" on the edges with any modern LED... it's bright middle but edge towards corona is what I can describe as "cloudy"... evenone bare in mind, I consider myself perfectionist and white wall hunter... :) Definitely not a flaw of any kind, just a thing to mention, like doughnut hole above...

easilyled

Flashaholic

I know what you were hoping and like, that's what I like for each... lol...

Sure thing, with tiny difference between LE for Aleph 2 and LE for Aleph 1 and 3 (due to resting point once LE is installed) - all three can rock with new LEDs...

Few things to keep in mind... one is focus point - I've spent two days tinkering with focus trying to figure out why I have doughnut hole up to 20cm on Aleph 1 and 40cm on Aleph 3 heads - only to realize today that stock LE's had similar thing... I'm guessing Don designed them to be throwers so it's hard to make them perfectly focused at super close distance when you want light to reach out...

Second thing is - hotspot is kind of "cloudy" on the edges with any modern LED... it's bright middle but edge towards corona is what I can describe as "cloudy"... evenone bare in mind, I consider myself perfectionist and white wall hunter... :) Definitely not a flaw of any kind, just a thing to mention, like doughnut hole above...

Thanks for your astute observations Tana. I can confirm you are correct with both points. I had Titanium tribute Aleph1/Aleph3 lights built for me by TranquillityBase and still have them.

I have upgraded the Aleph L.Es for them as emitters progressed from luxeons to SSC-P4s/P7s to MC-Es, XM-Ls, XP-Gs, XP-G2s, Nichia 219s etc. :)

The Aleph1 and Aleph3 nearly always have a donut hole at very close range which disappears as soon as the range increases. the hotspot is not completely circular.

This doesn't bother me as I'm used to it.

As long as the XPL-Hi L.E that you have will focus to a nice (not perfectly round) hotspot beyond the very near range distance in either my Aleph1 or Aleph3 lights, I'll be very happy.

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Awesome offering Tarik:twothumbs Cant wait to have my Haiku TripLed.

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for your astute observations Tana. I can confirm you are correct with both points. I had Titanium tribute Aleph1/Aleph3 lights built for me by TranquillityBase and still have them.

I have upgraded the Aleph L.Es for them as emitters progressed from luxeons to SSC-P4s/P7s to MC-Es, XM-Ls, XP-Gs, XP-G2s, Nichia 219s etc. :)

The Aleph1 and Aleph3 nearly always have a donut hole at very close range which disappears as soon as the range increases. the hotspot is not completely circular.

This doesn't bother me as I'm used to it.

As long as the XPL-Hi L.E that you have will focus to a nice (not perfectly round) hotspot beyond the very near range distance in either my Aleph1 or Aleph3 lights, I'll be very happy.

If course it'll focus... :)

archimedes

Flashaholic

Nice to see that you discussed with McGizmo, and glad to hear that he is ok with it :twothumbs

I think a Haiku Triple is an outstanding additional option, especially with the new programmable drivers ....

Madlag

Newly Enlightened

Nice to see that you discussed with McGizmo, and glad to hear that he is ok with it :twothumbs

I think a Haiku Triple is an outstanding additional option, especially with the new programmable drivers ....

I agree here. I think I'll def be doing this [emoji109]